Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Change Monday Onward, much colder, ice and snow later

Options
  • 12-12-2009 4:19pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

...and frost;)

Big changes underway in the weather. It's getting drier for the next few days as High Pressure builds - but it is getting progressively colder aswell with each day. Initially from Monday to Wednesday it will be mainly dry with good sunshine once any fog or frost clears in the mornings. From Wednesday night is when the action starts to begin as a Northeasterly wind developes. Snow is possible anywhere from Thursday onward as the weather turns a bit Continental. And there is no end in sight for the forseeable future once the cold weather is established. An unusual coming together of circumstances leaves us locked into a pattern more reminiscent of the 1980's. Wintry showers are set to become the norm and more prolonged frontal snow is possible from the North aswell at times.

Charts are available here from several different weather models

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/fsenseur.html

GFS, ECM and UKMO are the 3 primary ones you should use.

For the GFS pressure charts and timeline

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/fsavneur.html

Click on a time to show charts
    For the uninitiated remember air circulates anti clockwise around Low Pressure and clockwise around High Pressure.

Other charts of use are the 850hpa Temperature charts which are temperatures roughly 1,500m from the surface of the Earth. Anything below -5 leaves us in a posistion conducive to snow at low levels.

Click on 850hpa Temperatur to open those charts

Dew Points - must be below 0 for snow at low levels.

Click on 2m Taupunkt to open those charts

They are just 3 basic charts you are going to need. Beware all the models are volatile in accuracy the further you go out. But 168hrs (7 days) is regarded as being really on the limit of reliable. Beyond that is really indicative charts. The resolution also gets lower the further you go out.

Here is another site http://www.meteociel.com/modeles/gfse_cartes.php

Timing of model runs

GFS has 4 model runs per day. They begin coming out at the following times.

00z - 03.30
    06z - 09.30
    12z - 15.30
    18z - 21.30

ECMWF has 2 model runs available to us

00z - 06.10
    12z - 18.10

UKMO (UK Met Office)
    00z - 04.45
    12z - 16.45

More later!:)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

I forgot about that. Thanks! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

Thats great news:)
    How come Met Eireann never said a word about it:mad:.
    They said it would be settled till next weekend,are they afraid to predict or what.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

I reckon if you all stopped talking about potential snow we might actually get some. It's nothing but disappointment after disappointment when it comes to potential snow on here!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

LFCFan wrote: »
    I reckon if you all stopped talking about potential snow we might actually get some. It's nothing but disappointment after disappointment when it comes to potential snow on here!!!

Shhh, we're trying to do some science here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Latest UKMO at 144hrs sez "game on" for cool, frosty weather at least:

98718.gif

Dosen't look particularly snowy but the trend is more important than the specifics at this early stage, a trend which is still excellent. :)

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

In the UK Wednesday and Thursday, hope this holds off till I'm back... don't want to get stuck there!

Been following this for the last week or so on NW, can't help but get caught up in the excitement but I should know better after 5 years now of this during the winter!!!

ECM 120hrs

ECM1-120.GIF?12-0

Now that's a chart for snow.

And 144 - more snow. About to be hammered from the North aswell.

Recm1441.gif

ECM1-168.GIF?12-0

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

holly1 wrote: »
    How come Met Eireann never said a word about it.

Gerry Murphy said it after 6pm news! Sleet and snow later in the week.........to high ground. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,092 ✭✭✭pauldry

In Sligo it is 6.1c in my back garden. The DP is at 4.2c. Snow still a long way off yet but the sky is clear. Only a brisk wind is keeping temperature up.

Does look like some parts of Ireland will have seen snow by the end of next week but lets just say the mountains now to be safe so no one gets too excited. Id say Scotland is a dead cert and England a nearly dead cert?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

What's the chances of snow here in Waterford? The RTE weather just said sleet and snow on high ground in the north and east.

• Advertisement

Met Eireann use the ECM model above - definate snow to all levels if it came off by Wednesday mostly in the East and North West. Later risk of frontal snow from the North and showers mostly in the West and North.

By next Sunday and it just keeps on going.

ECM1-192.GIF?12-0

If the tonight's ecm at 192hrs verifies anything like it is showing, could be some very serious snowfalls in the North and West in particular:

98735.gif

For now, I am happy with the super dry easterlies for the middle of next week!!! :D

At 240hrs, could be very serious. First hints of a blizzardy breakdown?

98737.gif

Bring it on...:cool:

98743.png

:)

Yes, a stunning set of charts but just a bit of caution required as the GFS and UKMO don't really agree with it yet. Tonights GFS is important to see if it trends with the ECM. Mind you both the GFS and UKMO are good and cold aswell. Just not as cold and snowy.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Gerry Murphy said it after 6pm news! Sleet and snow later in the week.........to high ground. :P

Here is that forcast

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1212/6news_av.html?2666948,null,230

Gerry "we can expect" Murphy just announced that John Eagleton will doing the Farming Forecast early tomorrow afternoon.

Should make for interesting viewing. Eagleton always throws in some interesting points into a forecast. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

no chance at snow lads you are just clutching at straws here :rolleyes:

JonnyM wrote: »
    no chance at snow lads :rolleyes:

Interesting. :) What are you basing that profound declaration on?

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

If the tonight's ecm at 192hrs verifies anything like it is showing, could be some very serious snowfalls in the North and West in particular.

For now, I am happy with the super dry easterlies for the middle of next week!!! :D

Nice to hear the word west being mentioned. An easterly location is favourable in these set-ups but if the cold stays around for long enough, surely our chance will come

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

WOO BRING ON THE SNOW!

IT WOULD BE A GREAT ENDING TO THE OUL COLLEGE EXAMS!

Looks like i was right to put on my bet for snow on christmas day! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

Interesting. :) What are you basing that profound declaration on?
    common sense there will be no snow at all yous talk bout charts that are 3-5 days away, come back to me when we have snow next week ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

common sense there will be no snow at all yous talk bout charts that are 3-5 days away, come back to me when we have snow next week ;)

It wont be a forecast if the lads come back when the event has happened :rolleyes: it will be just merely stating the obvious !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭WorriedSick

. fore·cast or fore·cast·ed, fore·cast·ing, fore·casts
    v.tr. 1. To estimate or calculate in advance :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

Just had a look at accuweather and they have a weather alarm for my area (celbridge) for wednesday night, Dec 16th :D

Amount of Precipitation: 4.8mm
    Amount of Rain: 0.0mm Amount of Snow: 4.06cm Hours of Precipitation: 6 Hrs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

When we get easterlies the hills of north Kilkenny get snow.

I predict snow as well as forecasting it....

Elmo5 wrote: »
    Just had a look at accuweather and they have a weather alarm for my area (celbridge) for wednesday night, Dec 16th :D

Amount of Precipitation: 4.8mm
    Amount of Rain: 0.0mm Amount of Snow: 4.06cm Hours of Precipitation: 6 Hrs

Most excellent!!! Im in Lucan :) Cant wait. This may well be a stupid question, but does the 6 hours of precip mean snow? or could it be a mixture of sleet and snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

http://www.accuweather.com/ukie/forecast2.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&postalcode=EUR;IE;EI006;DUBLIN;&metric=1

Woohoo!

snow for dublin ! nice

Ouch - Realfeel: -13 WTF !!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Trogdor for the explanation - heres for a snowy Bray lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭jaffa20

:eek: If it's anything like last year i dunno how i'm gonna drive to work. A few sick days and snowball fights i guess :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 snow plow

jaffa20 wrote: »
    :eek: If it's anything like last year i dunno how i'm gonna drive to work. A few sick days and snowball fights i guess :D

I'm guessing you mean feb (when I got 8CM of snow on two occasions! Also I'm very near the coast) THIS YEAR? Yes it would be great to experiance something like that again so soon and possibly with even heavier SNOW!!!

I really am starting to get exited now as it looks like been bitterly cold with some
    serious snowfall possible in the east at first and then maybe some for the rest of the country. :D

Dan

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement