Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Change Monday Onward, much colder, ice and snow later

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

for where though?!

In the article that was in the Irish times he expected it to be widespread, somebody had posted a link earlier on in either this thread or the Wintery Potential for December 09

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

Thats it then, batten down the hatches and get in the supplies :D

It would actually be funny if this guy pulled it off, I know he has a good record , but it seems so very hard to predict a long range forecast using scientific measures.
    Although it would be cool if his traditional ways came up with the goods !

yeah how cool would that be,all the tech heads and all there bags of tricks trumped by a postman who studys the animals :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Here is the link from breakingnews.ie , cant find the Irish Times one at the moment

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/ireland-heading-for-white-christmas-says-postman-438090.html

Irish times link

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/1215/1224260713586.html

Its actually the breakingnews.ie report where he uses the word widespread

For anyone interesting, the 12Z GFS which will be rolling out in just over an hour will be the new and improved version, according to this (http://www.nws.noaa.gov/os/notification/tin09-34gefs.txt).

Should be interesting...

Well how does it look ?

Even if this event turns out to be a non runner , it has been great fun and very exciting to watch.

A big thanks to all of the people who have spent there time to put up the chart's and explanations to what it all means !

The weather forum is becoming my favorite section of boards.ie

Well how does it look ?

Even if this event turns out to be a non runner , it has been great fun and very exciting to watch.

A big thanks to all of the people who have spent there time to put up the chart's and explanations to what it all means !

The weather forum is becoming my favorite section of boards.ie

yeah same here im really enjoyin all the will it wont it stuff....hope the rest of the winter keeps us interested

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Well how does it look ?

Only out 54 hours so far, it's an upgrade so far, extends colder air further west. Showing greater potential for snow showers on Thursday evening.

Only out 54 hours so far, it's an upgrade so far, extends colder air further west. Showing greater potential for snow showers on Thursday evening.

yippee!!! its all good again......till the next update;)

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

It's gas how interesting this thread has turned out to be. Now I'm determined to have snow. So if science fails me, I'll just blindly follow a Donegal postman :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

12z are rolling out looking better up to t54 anyway, keep them all crossed people
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Rolling out at the moment out to 60hrs so far looks very marginal but my chart reading isn't great

• Advertisement

howlinwolf wrote: »
    yippee!!! its all good again......till the next update;)

Well its still just a slight upgrade so far, but yes this could all change again on the next run.

Out to 66hours and its still an upgrade, looking better for the east and south east, colder air over us...

T126 TO T190 will have higher resolution but even at that GFS at that range usually just plays with the mind

Villain wrote: »
    Rolling out at the moment out to 60hrs so far looks very marginal but my chart reading isn't great

-10 uppers a lot closer to us at 66 hours.

Out to 90 hours now and still looking good, risk of sleet/snow showers continues into Friday.

All eyes on the weekend now..

Much better ENE so far. Northerly winds delayed a bit, so east looking better at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Wow oh wow oh wow!!
    Rtavn662.png

I'll take that!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

-10 uppers a lot closer to us at 66 hours.

Out to 90 hours now and still looking good, risk of sleet/snow showers continues into Friday.

All eyes on the weekend now..
    They are for a short period but between 78 and 93 its -5 at best. Although Northernly looks to be coming then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

% chance of snow?

Friday night nail biter..snow for some!

Rtavn842.png

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Look at the flow of cold from the North at +102??

Pressure too high for really heavy snow, however polar lows and troughs cannot be ruled out , all to play for here.

• Advertisement

Out to 108 hours and the cold air is extending much further south on this run...a big upgrade on the 06Z.

that Northerly really looks much stronger, 850 temps are good, it now looks like a big upgrade for the weekend :D

Villain wrote: »
    Look at the flow of cold from the North at +102??

Polar lows written all over that, the north is gonna get blitzed.

+108 looks seriously cold, but as Supercell said probably dry unless a polar Low shows up

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Supercell wrote: »
    Steady on now, I don't need another Donegalgate. :D

Supercell wrote: »

+1

At 120hrs the -5 850 extends as far south as central France, on the last run it didn't even make the Ulster coast. :pac:

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Jaysus, back on the feckin rollercoaster!!! I thought I had beaten this addiction this morning!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

Nice upgrade:D hopefully inland areas will get something over the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Well this is a fascinating run.
    Looks better for the east thur/fri with almost -10 uppers.
    After that a bit marginal over the first part of the weekend but turning much colder with a chance of heavy snow for north and west, will be interesting to see the next few runs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement