Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Change Monday Onward, much colder, ice and snow later

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

snaps wrote: »
    Met ireland are not letting much out, they are even saying that it will turn milder on saturday!

Seems a reasonable forecast to me, a nudge of less cool air forces itself eastwards over Ireland on Saturday ahead of the main cold front:

091215_0000_114.png

May only be a brief affair though...;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

GFS must be assuming snowfields for temperatures like this:

ukmintemp.png

I am almost in the coldest spot!! :D. I would have thought the flow was still a little bit too slack in that run to drag down showers this far south as there is little sign of any major troughing yet. Still, we'll see...

:eek: going by that chart my maxes will be -6c and lows -10c thats never going to happen mmaybe -3c maxes and -7c mins more like it though it is possible because last week we had to day were the temp was -1c max...... the fight is on from thrusday with maxes probaably of 1c on thrusday and a few snow showers going by the gfs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

UKMO 12Z isn't fantastic...

UKMO 12Z isn't fantastic...

Back to reality after yet another GFS ride...:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

• Advertisement

Back to reality after yet another GFS ride...:pac:

Classic rollercoaster stuff.

D.E. did you know that the 12Z GFS was the first operational run of the new version of the GFS? Haven't seen the ensembles yet...

All eyes to the 12Z ECM now. :pac:

D.E. did you know that the 12Z GFS was the first operational run of the new version of the GFS? Haven't seen the ensembles yet...

All eyes to the 12Z ECM now. :pac:

ugh typical!!!!!!! anyway weather underground have monday night low down to -8c for here and 1c maxes from friday but i think thrusday.....

owenc wrote: »
    ugh typical!!!!!!!

No it's not as bad as its sounds, it has been running in parallel for the past few weeks and has been fairly consistent with handling this cold spell.

Didn't know that Maq, but will be interesting to see if the medium range will improve in quality. I actually thought the 12z GFS was quite conservative to be honest, certainly not showing anything that I would become very excited about post 96hrs. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭cinnamon

Snowfest 1980s style
    No show snow
    Widespread snow

I can't keep up with ye!

I am going to take this thread with a pinch of salt, because the highs and lows are too much for my temperament!
    But my money's on the postman! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

cinnamon wrote: »
    Snowfest 1980s style
    No show snow
    Widespread snow

I can't keep up with ye!

I am going to take this thread with a pinch of salt, because the highs and lows are too much for my temperament!
    Keep some of that salt for the pavement. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

cinnamon wrote: »

We need them for snow, and we need them in the right places :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

i dont no :(
    after loseing heart the last couple of days and then rekindling the hope today,it look's poor enough to me.
    it looks very marginal for low level snow,not even to much precip about to make any snow,temp seem to be leveling off to,mainland europe is not anyway near as cold as predicted surely if it's comeing from there "soon" it would have to be way colder there allready,hope is in polar trough????
    pleaz someone tell me im way off here and dont have a clue what im talking about :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Pangea wrote: »
    But dont get too excited ,although people calling snow for friday night seems reliable since it is only 3 nights away.

I'm probably going to regret this,but I'd lay odd's that Supercell will be on here sometime Thursday evening reporting snow up his way. I'll even narrow it down a bit. Sometime between 8.30 and 10.30. :D

Yea, I know. Still a bit early to say where any precip will fall, but its looking good for that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

snow being reported on UK travel radio updates in the south of england (Hampshire, surrey and also now whiltshire)

Duiske wrote: »
    I'm probably going to regret this,but I'd lay odd's that Supercell will be on here sometime Thursday evening reporting snow up his way. I'll even narrow it down a bit. Sometime between 8.30 and 10.30. :D

Yea, I know. Still a bit early to say where any precip will fall, but its looking good for that area.

SC lives on top of a mountain. His snow dosen't count! :D Snow below 50m asl is what matters...

at least to me!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

snaps wrote: »
    snow being reported on UK travel radio updates in the south of england (Hampshire, surrey and also now whiltshire)

I d'ont know about you guys but there is nothing worse than those across the pond getiing snow when we dont, makes me so jealous

xc wetaher showing snow from saturday for here and all day sunday with a 0c max and 3c max from thrusday!!!!

If you look at the met office uk reports/charts, the divide is the midlands of the UK. South/south east of UK in east airflow, north of the midlands west airflow. some parts of surrey now -2c. Snow also being reported in east yorkshire/humberside. So its on its way if we get into the east air flow!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

SC lives on top of a mountain. His snow dosen't count! :D Snow below 50m asl is what matters...

at least to me!! :p

Don't forget me! I'll be reporting it too!!!

A

• Advertisement

ECM rolling out in a couple of minutes. Will the rollercoaster take an upwards turn again??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Duiske wrote: »

Its been raining/drizzling steadily here for at least 24 hours now, temp has been falling since around 23:00 last night slowly but surely. I reckon some white stuff here is possible tomorrow night and settling stuff by Thursday night.
    Arctictree will have the same too, this could be pretty special here, especially later in the weekend.
    I'll keep ye posted :P

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Supercell wrote: »
    Its been raining/drizzling steadily here for at least 24 hours now, temp has been falling since around 23:00 last night slowly but surely. I reckon some white stuff here is possible tomorrow night and settling stuff by Thursday night.
    Arctictree will have the same too, this could be pretty special here, especially later in the weekend.
    I'll keep ye posted :P

If it turns out that way I'll be taking a trip up that direction again over the weekend, it was unreal up that way earlier in the year... except for when I decided to take the road towards the Sally Gap and the car wasn't too keen on the idea :pac:

Felixdhc wrote: »
    If it turns out that way I'll be taking a trip up that direction again over the weekend, it was unreal up that way earlier in the year... except for when I decided to take the road towards the Sally Gap and the car wasn't too keen on the idea :pac:

Yep, I'd take scenes like these here again again no problem!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

ECM at 144hrs:

99044.gif

Very similar to the UKMO 144hrs chart. That charts says showers on the W & N coasts, but mostly dry and bright, if chilly, for most.

Who said UKMO was bad?

fax48s.gif

Nothing wrong with that!

Interesting ECM in FI, I cant tell if that would be rain or snow 168-192?

ECM keeps the cold theme running, maybe the postman was onto something!

Interesting ECM in FI, I cant tell if that would be rain or snow 168-192?

If (big if) there was widespread snow cover I'd go for snow even at low levels except western coastal areas.

• Advertisement

Both ITV and BBC weather reports saying no real threat of heavy snow in the UK, but it will turn colder, with the south and midlands being the coldest. West and north being the mildest.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement