Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Change Monday Onward, much colder, ice and snow later

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Still looking chilly on this morning's models. Slightly different outlook between the UKMO and ECM at 144hrs this morning, but differing only synoptically, as both are still looking darn cold.

UKMO keeps a stiff, cold easterly going:

98784.gif

While the ECM turns it more to the north in the same timeframe:

98785.gif

UKMO would mean better chance of snow for the east, while the risk moves to the north ala ECM. Personally, I hope the UKMO is right, I know other's would prefer snow for the west, and I understand that completely, but a dry easterly is what is needed for at least a few days just to mop up the horrendous floodings around the place. I still can't walk out into my back garden without sinking up to my knees in sodden ****e :D:D:D

When the place is dried up, then I will welcome the snow with open arms, legs or whatever it takes...;):p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

How many days before can you predict for definite what the weather conditions will be Deep Easterly.

holly1 wrote: »
    How many days before can you predict for definite what the weather conditions will be Deep Easterly.

Hi fellow Smurph! :D

Hard to say really but to predict actual weather conditions is actually a lot harder than predicting general trends, such as the current one. For example, it does looking like it will become cooler during the coming week, although not especially cold as the real deal is not forecast to hit til thursday or friday.

However, to predict actual weather conditions, that becomes really difficult, even 6 to 3 hours in advance. Models only really show general trends, it is the specifics closer to the time that becomes the real challenge. Predicting snow, and where that snow will fall (or any other major weather), becomes a forecaster's nightmare and often things go wrong.

Best thing to do Holly is watch this space, plenty of brains on here who will keep us all up to date, live on air, as things unfold, if they unfold at all....:o

Thanks for that brother Smurf:D.I followed the snow alert here last year and it was great fun.We are having a party next saturday night and I wanted to know what to expect weather wise:)

holly1 wrote: »
    Thanks for that brother Smurf:D.I followed the snow alert here last year and it was great fun.We are having a party next saturday night and I wanted to know what to expect weather wise:)

At this stage sister Smurph, the only thing that is almost certain for saturday is that it will be cold. Whether or not it will snow it is really hard to say, particularly as there is model disagreement in the alignment of favourable synoptics. Just stay tuned in and no doubt you will get a better idea what to expect come thursday or friday.

Either way, enjoy your party! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

7:55 radio 1 - threat of sleet and snow next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

ok im a weather enthusiast but by no means an expert or anywhere near,can i ask all you "experts" :D this.....

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/fsavneur.html

in this picture(sorry i dont no how to get the picture to come up here(if someone could tell me,thanks)are those tempatures not very marginal for snow??
    or am i reading it all wrong :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

For what its worth, the odds of a white Xmas in Dublin on PaddyPower have shortened from 4/1 to 7/2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Just got the hardest nights frost of the winter here in Donegal ,i doubt it will defrost too much today. lovely weather , what a delight that it will be cold like this in the next week or 2 coming up to christmas, if it snows its a big bonus.

This is from met eireanns website, they mentioned the word snow already!
    From Wednesday through to Friday it will turn even colder, with a risk of scattered wintry showers of sleet or even snow, mainly in northern and eastern coastal areas and especially over high ground.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Pangea wrote: »
    Just got the hardest nights frost of the winter here in Donegal ,i doubt it will defrost too much today. lovely weather , what a delight that it will be cold like this in the next week or 2 coming up to christmas, if it snows its a big bonus.

This is from met eireanns website, they mentioned the word snow already!
    From Wednesday through to Friday it will turn even colder, with a risk of scattered wintry showers of sleet or even snow, mainly in northern and eastern coastal areas and especially over high ground.

yes i doubt this frost will melt it is -3.4c here now and the only melted frost is on the roof facing the sun and i expect the temp to be around 0c max today what about you whats the current temp in donegal???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

JonnyM wrote: »
    no chance at snow lads you are just clutching at straws here :rolleyes:

just what the hell planet are you living on.

not letting you away with a comment like that.

it IS going to snow and your a fool to doubt it.

where do you live?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well I'm not looking forwards to this, too old for snow to poor for the cold. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭paulhac

redsunset wrote: »
    just what the hell planet are you living on.

not letting you away with a comment like that.

it IS going to snow and your a fool to doubt it.

where do you live?
    I wouldnt even bother Redsunset, he'll see the errors of his ways soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

jambofc wrote: »
    ok im a weather enthusiast but by no means an expert or anywhere near,can i ask all you "experts" :D this.....

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/fsavneur.html

in this picture(sorry i dont no how to get the picture to come up here(if someone could tell me,thanks)are those tempatures not very marginal for snow??
    or am i reading it all wrong :confused:

The GFS temp charts are not really that accurate for temperature forecasts. For a start, the temp shown near Dublin is actually at a location a few miles off the wicklow coast, so take a couple of degrees off that for a start. Also, the temps are maxes and generally would be a couple of degrees colder anyway. Also, these temps dont model cold inversion well at all.

A

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

Thanks for the regular upadates guys. It is great fun!

I have a question regarding last Thursday's and Friday's weather if you don't mind. I work outdoors (in Tyrone) and I noticed that on Thursday we had Cirrus clouds and on Friday we had Stratus clouds (I had to google that to find out). Both days were dry. However there was a noticable difference though. Thursday was very calm with long bright sunny spells. I could work away and I didn't need to wear a coat. A guy flew over our site on a motorized hand glider. He obviously was taking advantage of the weather conditions. On Friday though it was overcast with a slight breeze, it was chilly and I deffinatley had to leave the coat on. I was wondering what was happening with the weather? Did those 2 days mark a transition in the weather and is it linked to the oncoming cold snap? Thanking you in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

redsunset wrote: »
    IS going to snow and your a fool to doubt it.
    Just as foolish to make a comment like that;) nothing is set in stone at all yet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

mike65 wrote: »
    Well I'm not looking forwards to this, too old for snow to poor for the cold. :(

Throw a few snowballs and you'll feel much younger.

White Christmas ahead, says postman

(UKPA) – 1 hour ago

A postman renowned for predicting the weather using ancient methods has insisted Ireland is heading for a white Christmas.

Michael Gallagher, who learned his age-old technique from the last generations living high in Donegal's Blue Stack mountains, uses nature and the behaviour of animals to make his forecast.

The 61-year-old, who lives in the remote Glenfin Valley, said all the signs pointed to snow on its way. "We are definitely on our way to a white Christmas," he said.

White Christmas ahead, says postman

(UKPA) – 1 hour ago

A postman renowned for predicting the weather using ancient methods has insisted Ireland is heading for a white Christmas.

Michael Gallagher, who learned his age-old technique from the last generations living high in Donegal's Blue Stack mountains, uses nature and the behaviour of animals to make his forecast.

The 61-year-old, who lives in the remote Glenfin Valley, said all the signs pointed to snow on its way. "We are definitely on our way to a white Christmas," he said.

Im laughing at this but...... daddy never follows the weather forecast.. He was a farmer for the last like 100 years & he can tell you every day what the weather will be bringing..... & hes pretty damn accurate. Dont know how but he does !
    Im not going to ask his oinion on a white christmas cos I know he will just burst my bubble .................................:(

• Advertisement

jenzz wrote: »
    Im laughing at this but...... daddy never follows the weather forecast.. He was a farmer for the last like 100 years & he can tell you every day what the weather will be bringing..... & hes pretty damn accurate. Dont know how but he does !
    Im not going to ask his oinion on a white christmas cos I know he will just burst my bubble .................................:(
    yeah its a funny headline :) , but not laughed at up here , this man has nearly always been accuarte when it comes to snow predictions!

yeah its a funny headline :) , but not laughed at up here , this man has nearly always been accuarte when it comes to snow predictions!

you up North Pangea ? I just want to see a bit - I dont remember a white christmas TBH so would be nice in my little lifetime to say oh yeah remember the christmas of 2009 !

jenzz wrote: »
    you up North Pangea ? I just want to see a bit - I dont remember a white christmas TBH so would be nice in my little lifetime to say oh yeah remember the christmas of 2009 !
    yes im from up north surely!
    I recall a few white christmases to be honest , Move up to Donegal :D.

yes im from up north surely!
    I recall a few white christmases to be honest , Move up to Donegal :D.

lol - but we get the heat when the sun finally comes out lol . We had snow last sunday lol - Promo shoot in the back garden & it was covered in snow for the day lol Kids were very confused...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The eagle mainly concentrated on how dry next week was going to be and that it would be a huge improvement on last week.
    I wonder if roads close from snow and ice by Friday will ordinary folk share his view.
    Imo there is enough of a risk of disruption for him to at least mention the "s" word:rolleyes:

What are they afraid of,maby they think there will be a mad rush to the shops and nothing will be left on the shelves for Christmas :D

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭homersimpson

I know the guy and he's normally spot on :D:D

His new book is a good read ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Interesting forecast from the Eagle today...he didn't mention snow or even sleet once, instead talking about a cryptic "unpleasentness" for the far north east coast on Thursday with "a bit of winter" in it. :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

who the heck is the eagle!!!!!! flip you could say no offence...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

owenc wrote: »
    who the heck is the eagle!!!!!! flip you could say no offence...

http://www.rte.ie/weather/presenters/eagletonj.html :pac:

12Z GFS is rolling out, out as far as Friday now and not really showing much snow potential there so far, keeps things cold though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement