Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Change Monday Onward, much colder, ice and snow later

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

playing it safe safe safe.

just watched the weather said increased wintryness in the east at first perhaps rain turning to sleet.

Then northern areas seeing wintry mix.

but they really can't say anymore because they simply don't know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GSF

its snowing in North London at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 7,092 ✭✭✭pauldry

:(pity really but there is still hope that just before xmas might get v cold but too early to predict that either. airmass looks quite cold though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,092 ✭✭✭pauldry

just looked at ukmo. they say the following

There is a moderate risk of severe weather affecting parts of north and western Scotland, Northern Ireland, northwest England and northern Wales on Sunday. Heavy snow showers may give accumulations of 2-5cm and there is a risk of 5-10cm over hills. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Good old Accuweather, predicting 2 inches of snow in Waterford by Saturday....yeah...that's going to happen :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dslr09

ch750536 wrote: »
    Nice bit of snow falling here now.

Unfortunately I'm in Henley, UK.

Well for some

What happened to "Stop giving the brits all your money?"

Backtracking eh????? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

so whats the next time for weather model output to be looking out for? can't read weather charts as such so need ye experts help! hope things will be a little more optimistic in the next 48 hours.

so whats the next time for weather model output to be looking out for? can't read weather charts as such so need ye experts help! hope things will be a little more optimistic in the next 48 hours.

GFS 12Z will start rolling out at 3:30pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

redsunset wrote: »
    Based on latest GFS signals

Snow Risk for the next 5 days in Ireland
    Today Tomorrow Fri 18/12 Sat 19/12 Sun 20/12
    15%
    60%
    60%
    50%
    80%

15 % snow risk for today ? LOL - dont they know you need cold for snow to happen ? :rolleyes: Plenty of mild murky drizzle is more like it at the moment :(, doesn't even feel remotely cold, in fact it feels warmer than it should be at this time of year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

mad DIY wrote: »
    15 % snow risk for today ? LOL - dont they know you need cold for snow to happen ? :rolleyes: Plenty of mild murky drizzle is more like it at the moment :(, doesn't even feel remotely cold, in fact it feels warmer than it should be at this time of year.

Average daytime temp for mid December is around 8c or 9c.

Latest reports suggest rather than being warm for the time of year, temps are actually a little below normal.

http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Yea on one of the forecasts at the weekent the Met said it would 4c - 5c below Average temps.

My Wxsim forecast has pushed back to more rain than snow although its all less than 2mm but showing low temps of -4c

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

It's Baltic down in newbridge , feels much colder than the 6c it is

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

the lunchtime weather on rte was of a very cold nature, days gona be very cold and - 5 for tomorrow night in some places. we should happy with this prospect in the build up to christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

i just dont buy it lads sorry.......a few days ago they said it would be around freezing from thursday on but met eireann are sayin it will stay around 4 to 8 degrees dependin on where u are.....yes cold but not the artic blast we where warned was defo comin second half of the week....it got up to 8 degrees here in carlow today......the really cold nasty weather just keeps on gettin put back and back as each day goes bye (maybe it will work in our favour and it will finally kick off xmas eve) .......:confused:

Pangea wrote: »
    the lunchtime weather on rte was of a very cold nature, days gona be very cold and - 5 for tomorrow night in some places. we should happy with this prospect in the build up to christmas.

we're never happy! hopefully there will be more instability for a white christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Just in and with that breeze it feels like it is freezing outside, temperatures now dipping under the 5C mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

Outlook
    MET EIREANN
    The weather won't change that much for Friday either; generally dry and cold with low daytime temperatures and the frost not clearing at all from shaded ground. Friday will again be a bright day with good spells of mid-December sunshine throughout the country. However scattered showers will still affect places along the east and north coasts, carried in by the onshore breezes. Over the weekend, the winds go more to a north or northwesterly direction and this will allow cloudier weather with outbreaks of rain to develop across Ulster, north Connacht and parts of north Leinster too. But the rest of the country will be dry for the weekend and the showers will disappear from the east coast. On Monday that rain in the north gradually dies out and the day is dry but still cold. The circulation in the atmosphere shows no sign of returning to its normal Atlantic pattern early next week. So that means it should stay fairly dry up until mid-week with the winds eventually going easterly in direction.

doesnt match up with the models for the weekend and beyond......someones wrong and i hope its met eireann ( but i seriously doubt it):(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

PHEWWWWW.... Hyperventilating at this stage from holding breath with excitment and then sighing it in disappointment out at the very next few posts..... lol this is almost, and I stress almost similar to spotting that first random snowflake and wondering if there is more on the way!!!! :D

Still getting the wee lad a new pair of wellies, have larder stocked, fuel at the ready, won't need salt for road, it would only melt the wonderful snowmen that will be created, all I need to do now is find the patience to wait to see if all prep was worth it... willing to wait over next few weeks at least!! Just as long as it SNOWS!!!!!:p

I love the rollercoaster ride on this site, the most interesting (and educational) thread I have ever read, totally hooked. Keep it up, thanks for the explanations from ye that know what you are talking about, for the couple of us who have little idea whats happening but are following anyway... Thanks guys :D

UK outlook:
    Outlook for Friday to Sunday:

Snow continuing in eastern areas on Friday. Becoming drier on Saturday and Sunday with occasional showers of sleet and snow in northern and western parts. Staying cold, windy at times.
    Updated: 1511 on Wed 16 Dec 2009

this may be a better sign for more activity in Ireland. we need this cold spell drifting further west.

If you think that feels cold now wait till you feel the cold from the wind tomorrow evening and friday... :pac:

12Z GFS starting to roll out now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

eskimocat wrote: »

I love the rollercoaster ride on this site, the most interesting (and educational) thread I have ever read, totally hooked. Keep it up, thanks for the explanations from ye that know what you are talking about, for the couple of us who have little idea whats happening but are following anyway... Thanks guys :D

myself included ,im sure there is others out there looking in as well

thanks again guys :D

but i'll more than happy when it does snow (please)

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

#snow.ie on Quakenet!

Should be fun!

Anyone on IRC?

It's Baltic down in newbridge , feels much colder than the 6c it is

Been kind of calm here, so that's probably why it feels 'warm'. But, it's definitely not a cold snap - yet.....

It will snow at some stage, but I have a feeling we'll be waiting a while for anything worth stocking the larder up for. I will be pleasantly surprised to see anything more than the usual light dusting.

12Z GFS still looking ok for snow showers in the east/southeast thursday night, no real changes at 42 hours, maybe a bit more precip.

Edit : Friday morning looking a bit better on this run too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭PILOT

Snowing here in London at the minute, has been since about 1 o clock. Hope the snow gets to ireland soon, comin home 2moro for xmas and snow at home would be the best !!!! :)

Pangea wrote: »

It was forecasted to be -5 last Sunday night, but it didn't even yield a frost on Monday morning in Dublin :confused:

It was forecasted to be -5 last Sunday night, but it didn't even yield a frost on Monday morning in Dublin :confused:

It was -5 in up in Donegal for a while that night, I remember seeing that temp on the IWN page.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Its the warmest its been for about a week here in mayo now (Currently 7.1c). The high pressure sitting just to the north west of us doesn't seem to be shifting, thus the west wind flow from the Atlantic. The South east of the UK is in easterly flow, nice and cold for them!

-10 850's creeping into Northern Ireland at 72hrs...looking good :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Bitterly cold up here high in the Blue Stacks. Tops are part-shrouded. Nothing would surprise tonight. Regardless of what enyone says.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement