Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Change Monday Onward, much colder, ice and snow later

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

jenzz wrote: »
    Weatheralarm - Nice !
    Snow Total:17 cm Occurring: Dec 18 | Dec 19 | Dec 20
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Snow risk for tomorrow night/Friday morning, interesting..treat these chats with a massive pinch of salt!

99169.png

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Can I ask how do you get an attached image to display, as in Supercell's post above? All I get is the attachment at the bottom...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Su Campu wrote: »
    Can I ask how do you get an attached image to display, as in Supercell's post above? All I get is the attachment at the bottom...:rolleyes:

After you attach the image...right click on the image link under "current attachments" and then click "copy link location" (in Firefox, not sure what it is in IE),
    Then close the attachments window, click on "insert image" and paste the URL in there...voila!

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

BBC Weather Forecast for Monday-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209

Shows snow in the midwest when an approaching front meets the cold air, shows rain over kerry :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Rougies wrote: »
    After you attach the image...right click on the image link under "current attachments" and then click "copy link location" (in Firefox, not sure what it is in IE),
    Then close the attachments window, click on "insert image" and paste the URL in there...voila!

Aha, thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

BBC Weather Forecast for Monday-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209

Shows snow in the midwest when an approaching front meets the cold air, shows rain over kerry :(

seems to me that there is a very little optimism around the place! i thought met eireann's forecast this evening was a big upgrade for the weekend. any of the experts think the same?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

look at metcheck's website now for how unrealistic it is, it is showing showers of rain and snow with temps around -6 all next week:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

seems to me that there is a very little optimism around the place! i thought met eireann's forecast this evening was a big upgrade for the weekend. any of the experts think the same?

The answer is nobody knows :)

Seriously, nobody, even the professionals, know what's going to happen. It's all too marginal.

I'm sure the 18z will up the enthusiasm again in about half an hour's time though. Last night we were all on ebay buying shovels,sledges and snowchains. Love the pub run :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

I think with charts like this, I'm going to hold off on my negativity for a while. If the ground is even remotely white, frost or otherwise it will be pretty nice to see in the run up to Christmas!

99173.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭forkassed

Met Eireann slowly coming on board

Yesterdays maps
    untitled-1-1.jpg

Todays

qqq-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Galway, Galway, Ireland
    15-Day Forecast

Accu weather forecast for Galway for weekend :D:D:D:D

Saturday, Dec 19
    More Details

29.gif
    periods of snow and rain
    Low: 3 °C
    High: 5 °C

Sunday, Dec 20
    More Details

29.gif
    periods of snow and rain
    Low: -1 °C
    High: 5 °C

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Fair play to Met Eireann. They kept their heads and never went over the top.
    We'll get nothing and they were right. I doubt if this northerly will deliver anything either, a warm sector ahead of the cold front will give rain. Behind the cold front any wintry showers will be confined to a line roughly north of Dundalk to Sligo.
    As for the easterly that not going to happen? Well a deep depression moving up from the Biscay area was needed to pull that freezing air west and there just isn't one!
    THE END.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

We'll get nothing and they were right. I doubt if this northerly will deliver anything either, a warm sector ahead of the cold front will give rain. Behind the cold front any wintry showers will be confined to a line roughly north of Dundalk to Sligo.
    As for the easterly that not going to happen? Well a deep depression moving up from the Biscay area was needed to pull that freezing air west and there just isn't one!
    THE END.

Bah Humbug ! Down with this sort of thing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

THE END.
    I think it's another overblown senario, the way it's going we'll have plenty of rain from the Atlantic for Christmas. By Christmas day we'll have our good old South westerlies back. Mild and wet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

Once again the GFS 18z shows plenty of potential :rolleyes:

I shall believe when I see :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Awesome charts at the moment that should be savoured
    Expect widespread snow Sat & Sun followed by very icy roads.
    Country could be at a standstill come Monday

Met Eireann should have warnings out by Tuesday:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

Wow:eek: go to the bbc 5 day forecast it shows heavy snow with max temp of -1 for birr on tuesday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Looking very good indeed. Latest GFS run is very cold again with everywhere seeing snow before the weekend is out. Next week remaining bitterly cold with further snow and lying quickly as temperatures don't get above freezing during daytime for most. Mostly it will be showers it look like but occasionally more prolonged stuff aswell. It's a unique situation. We are going to find ourselves on the right side of the Polar front for once. The cold air almost stagnant over us being held up by a gentle wind off Scandinavia. Make no mistake about it, even if you don't get snow (unlikely), it's going to get extremely cold early next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Umm next week looks cool but not very cold or snowy but those charts will change before then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The charts look just great tonight, we are slowly being inched into what could be one of the most memorable cold spells for a good while.

The best cold spells take their time to deliver, however i feel the first flakes of snow will fall in the East around this time tomorrow, just a few sleet/snow showers peppering into the coast.

Then we have 2 fronts moving south on Saturday, one early a mixture of wintriness but dewpoints won't be rising above 1c in most places so with abit of height maybe above 300 metres i would expect snowfall during Saturday.

2nd front late Saturday will give back edge snow for all.

Then we enter a very strange synoptic with a huge block to our north and low pressures meandering around the place. Maxima from Sunday onwards struggling to 1 or 2c at very best with many places incurring ice days, night extremely cold down to -10c locally. Showers and potentially longer spells of snow affecting many areas.

Going to be one the coldest run ups to Christmas in a very very long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I dont know what about you guys but this seems to be the longest week ever!
    Im exhausted on reading all about the cold snap and exhausted waiting on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I'd love to see what Weathercheck says happen but I can't see it tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

Pangea wrote: »
    I dont know what about you guys but this seems to be the longest week ever!
    Im exhausted on reading all about the cold snap and exhausted waiting on it!

Couldn't agree more. I'm going to quit weather models after it's over:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

darkman2 wrote: »
    Looking very good indeed. Latest GFS run is very cold again with everywhere seeing snow before the weekend is out. Next week remaining bitterly cold with further snow and lying quickly as temperatures don't get above freezing during daytime for most. Mostly it will be showers it look like but occasionally more prolonged stuff aswell. It's a unique situation. We are going to find ourselves on the right side of the Polar front for once. The cold air almost stagnant over us being held up by a gentle wind off Scandinavia. Make no mistake about it, even if you don't get snow (unlikely), it's going to get extremely cold early next week.

Oh my god so excited! Widespread snow would be brilliant! I'm nearly jumping around the place here!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Villain wrote: »
    I'd love to see what Weathercheck says happen but I can't see it tbh

Have you tried specsavers?
    The charts are awesome!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Villain wrote: »
    Umm next week looks very cold with lots of snow

Fixed that for you.;)

These are Daytime Maximum Temperatures for Tuesday, for example

Rtavn13817.png

Sunday alot of places don't get above freezing. It gets even colder by midweek. Anything that falls from the sky is going to be snow from Saturday - everything is just right.

Saturday looking interesting

brack2.gif

Obviously there is a chance we could be wrong - a chance. But we can only go on what is put in front of us at the end of the day and offer some opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭kkontour

Anyone see the BBC forecast after the 10pm news?
    He said VERY cold up to the weekend with everyone seeing some snow but plenty of sunshine too. then said 'it doesnt stop there with the air coming down from the north for the weekend', then said ' and then theres monday' giving a wry smile, like he knows something buts not allowed to tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

The charts look just great tonight, we are slowly being inched into what could be one of the most memorable cold spells for a good while.

The best cold spells take their time to deliver, however i feel the first flakes of snow will fall in the East around this time tomorrow, just a few sleet/snow showers peppering into the coast.

Then we have 2 fronts moving south on Saturday, one early a mixture of wintriness but dewpoints won't be rising above 1c in most places so with abit of height maybe above 300 metres i would expect snowfall during Saturday.

2nd front late Saturday will give back edge snow for all.

Then we enter a very strange synoptic with a huge block to our north and low pressures meandering around the place. Maxima from Sunday onwards struggling to 1 or 2c at very best with many places incurring ice days, night extremely cold down to -10c locally. Showers and potentially longer spells of snow affecting many areas.

Going to be one the coldest run ups to Christmas in a very very long time.

Wow, when was the last time we hit double digit negative temps?
    I thought that might be approaching a record but on ME they give mins of around -19c from 30 years ago!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

LOL, I just love how contradictory all the comments are in here; It's either "we're NEVER going to see snow EVER again and the mild Atlantic will ruin xmas" or "OMFG the arctic blast of the century is coming - everyone get over excited and forget all the past dissappointments".......

Slight exaggeration on my part, of couse, but there's definitely some truth in this observation:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement