Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Change Monday Onward, much colder, ice and snow later

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

kkontour wrote: »
    Anyone see the BBC forecast after the 10pm news?
    He said VERY cold up to the weekend with everyone seeing some snow but plenty of sunshine too. then said 'it doesnt stop there with the air coming down from the north for the weekend', then said ' and then theres monday' giving a wry smile, like he knows something buts not allowed to tell.

Oh my god hyperventilating here! This is brilliant! These charts better not change!

Awesome charts at the moment that should be savoured
    Expect widespread snow Sat & Sun followed by very icy roads.
    Country could be at a standstill come Monday

Met Eireann should have warnings out by Tuesday:rolleyes:

LOL at Met Eireann jibe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

An the roller coaster takes off again!!! lol, it seems that every time I have to leave the computer, its either flat out not snow, or flat out National white out... :D

Please don't give up on the charts etc now, just when its getting good!!! I have to turn in, but hoping that all stays on track for snow at weekend.
    night ya all and thanks for posting..... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭forkassed

kkontour wrote: »
    Anyone see the BBC forecast after the 10pm news?
    He said VERY cold up to the weekend with everyone seeing some snow but plenty of sunshine too. then said 'it doesnt stop there with the air coming down from the north for the weekend', then said ' and then theres monday' giving a wry smile, like he knows something buts not allowed to tell.

Switching to bbc news 24 now...

http://atdhe.net/watchtv4.php?b=n

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Mondays UKMO Fax Chart (latest)

Snowy occlusion skirting across the country

fax120s.gif

May look innocent enough there but how much snow would that leave behind? Enough I think to satisfy most here. That is what Rob McElwee is talking about for Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

I see the charts are still looking great and we are probably 24hrs from the beginning of the real cold.
    As for saturday, this will be interesting to see if it falls as snow ( i think it will be a wintry mix) but look at the progged maxima for mon and tue nxt week(below zero), so i'll take that for the first wintry spell of the year.
    Its difficult to say where precipitation will turn up but western and northern coastal regions look good but it willl be a nowcast situation as regards precipitation i think so no point in worryin about that yet.
    Its looking good people.:D

darkman2 wrote: »
    Mondays UKMO Fax Chart (latest)

Snowy occlusion skirting across the country

fax120s.gif

May look innocent enough there but how much snow would that leave behind? Enough I think to satisfy most here. That is what Rob McElwee is talking about for Monday.

Enough to reach cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Awesomw darkman, though I think I'll have to drive to Mitchelstown to get above the 528dam line:D:D

What's your view on Met Eireann's perf up to now?
    Very poor imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Interesting chart, probably won't happen.

gfsx_500p_7e_eur.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

BBC forecast showing 15cm for low areas in SE England but the West wasn't as cold and was dry as was Ireland.

• Advertisement

Villain wrote: »
    BBC forecast showing 15cm for low areas in SE England but West wasn't as cold and dry as was Ireland.

Excuse my ignorance but what does that mean?

Awesomw darkman, though I think I'll have to drive to get to Mitchelstown 528dam above the line: D: D
    What's your view on Met Eireann's perf up to now?
    Very poor imo [/ QUOTE]

No opinion on it really. I just make my own mind up on the charts. I think they will start mentioning the snow prospects tomorrow though. It is still a few days out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Another interesting chart.

prec_09122312_1618.gif?96239ef660a9c98b96deec095a760cc8

200motels wrote: »
    Another interesting chart.
    [IMG][/img]http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/2009/12/16/basis18/euro/prec_09122312_1618.gif?96239ef660a9c98b96deec095a760cc8 [/ IMG] [/ QUOTE]

That's very far out. But not beyond possibility. It is in fact a rain - blizzard event for the UK clipping the East of Ireland. Of course what happens will be slightly different to that! Nice chart though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭forkassed

Can somebody give us a link to ensembles, netweather not working at the mo.

Cheers

You will have to wait a little while longer for the GFS ensembles for Dublin anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 snow plow

forkassed wrote: »
    Can somebody give us a link to ensembles, netweather not working at the mo.

Cheers

Yep same problem here, I think netweather has crashed!!!

Dan

The ensemble maps are here btw

http://www.meteociel.com/modeles/gefs_cartes.php

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Tomorrow night still looks very interesting... 0c dewpoints or lower all over Ireland *AND* the Irish Sea, that should mean snow showers possibly even at sea level. -10c upper air temperatures hugging the east coast, will mean superb bubbling up of showers IMO. 528 Dam line is near the Shannon. Pressure though is rather high at 1024hPa over Wexford, but hopefully things can still kick off. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭bassy

wolfhill should get a white coating ;)
    Danno wrote: »
    Tomorrow night still looks very interesting... 0c dewpoints or lower all over Ireland *AND* the Irish Sea, that should mean snow showers possibly even at sea level. -10c upper air temperatures hugging the east coast, will mean superb bubbling up of showers IMO. 528 Dam line is near the Shannon. Pressure though is rather high at 1024hPa over Wexford, but hopefully things can still kick off. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭TheGreenGiant

All of the ensembles are pitching the Low right over us from the 20th of December and sort of staying put over a 3 day period. I know we are still in FI mode that far out but its really encouraging to see it on all the models. If this does play out this way, hopefully we will get ourselves a nice dusting of snow in time for Christmas. Let the games begin, starting tomorrow night!! :cool::D

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭imola94

ya or maybe the next night or the next night or even the night after that....snooze ...give us a break . ive been following this madness all week and i cant believe adults are acting this way. I mean met.ie are the professionals and they dont forecast anything but rain for the next few days yet theres people on here dissing met.ie for not forcasting snow, the same people that forecasted snow for ireland from last sunday night....correct me if im wrong but i believe we didnt get any.
    Why not leave to the experts and just stop this foolish nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭bassy

a non believer then,met.ie would,nt forecast it till there almost certain there playing it causousily ;)
    imola94 wrote: »
    ya or maybe the next night or the next night or even the night after that....snooze ...give us a break . ive been following this madness all week and i cant believe adults are acting this way. I mean met.ie are the professionals and they dont forecast anything but rain for the next few days yet theres people on here dissing met.ie for not forcasting snow, the same people that forecasted snow for ireland from last sunday night....correct me if im wrong but i believe we didnt get any.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

99192.JPG

I think this is the chance of snow tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭imola94

bassy wrote: »
    a non believer then,met.ie would,nt forecast it till there almost certain there playing it causousily ;)

well ive been following met.ie for a while now and they are a damn sight more accurate than anyone here so i'll continue with them if its ok
    to think a whole 48 pages of snow wishers and absolutely no danger of it happening....please get real people

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

The door is over here ===========================>

no one asked you join in on this "foolish nonsense"

Were enjoying ourselves and I find your post very disrespectful to the people who have spent a lot of time on here posting charts and explaining the meaning of them to all the folks that are interested also explaining how forecasts work. I have found it to be very insightful and a truly enjoyable experience.

A lot of the forecast's were predicted in FI (Fantasy Island ) which everyone here well knew was subject to change as it became closer to the date !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭TheGreenGiant

Are you serious? Did you watch the weather after the news tonight? Jean Byrne said in her forecast that temperatures are going to drop significantly for the weekend and that snow flurries are forecast for Saturday and especially Sunday. I'm not saying for definite it will snow. The indications are looking very good, from observing the models. BTW we are not dissing Met.ie at all. We are just giving an opinion on what us weather enthusiasts are shedding light on from our own observations. Obviously Met Eireann are not going to say for definate that snow is on the way unless they were above 90% sure. But that the grteat thing about observing weather: Anthing can happen, BUT its always good to have probability when forecasting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

well ive been following met.ie for a while now and they are a damn sight more accurate than anyone here so i'll continue with them if its ok
    to think a whole 48 pages of snow wishers and absolutely no danger of it happening....please get real people

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

I want snow :(

Imola, you're a spoilsport! :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Alicat wrote: »
    I want snow :(

Imola, you're a spoilsport! :p

A troll I would say !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement