Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Change Monday Onward, much colder, ice and snow later

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Sunday still looks cold with showers mostly confined to the north:

091216_1200_96.png

Corresponding 850's:

091216_1200_96.png

Ulster continuing to have the highest risk of wintry showers, possible extending into north Connacht and north Leinster, but always more intense towards the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

This has to be a wind up ? ? ?

He couldn't be for real
    She?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭bassy

shemale well it is almost 2010 LMAO........................................
    jd wrote: »
    She?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

bassy wrote: »
    shemale well it is almost 2010 LMAO........................................

Ok OK lads we'll leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

• Advertisement

This is a live image so will change.

The south east of england looks to be in bother alright come fri morning.
    That would give heavy falls of snow.
    Nothing of any significance for us(LAKE EFFECT SHOWERS can't be ruled out for eastern regions) but the trough sweeping down from the north could be interesting.we'll wait and see.

PPVI89.png

As it weeps down the country it seems to pull the 528 dam line from behind so all to play for.
    Thats all im going out to because situations changing all the time.

PPVJ89.png

I like this chart because as mentioned by previous posters,it does look fairly tasty for the developement of one of those short lived polar lows.
    They tend to form around the regions where the upper air is coldest to our north,especially around iceland.
    so the warmer sea could do us a big favour here in this type of set up however those polar lows are scare and might not happen this time.

Read this pdf on the polar low to understand it better.

http://www.geo-web.org.uk/PolarLow.pdf

h850t850eu.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

looking cold from now temps 2c maxes today and then 0c maxes tomorrow id say snow is possible today ,also i predict temps to maybe get to -7c tonight! xc weather forecast -8c on tuesday...... good from friday pretty much ice days all the wy through

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Latest from Met Eireann....

Who was it that said we were all talking BS about it getting colder and snow coming?
    National Forecast

17 December 2009 04:56

Today

A cold, frosty start with some icy patches. A bright, mainly dry day ahead with sunny spells. But some rain or hail showers are expected in eastern parts of Leinster, and along the north coast, with some turning more wintry later in the day. Top temperatures just 4 to 7 C., in a fresh northeasterly breeze.
    Tonight

Very cold and frosty tonight with some icy roads. Some patches of mist and fog also. Most places dry, but a few wintry showers are likely at times along parts of the east and southeast coasts. Lowest temperatures zero to -5 C. Winds falling light in many areas overnight.

Tomorrow

Very cold again tomorrow Friday with fog and frost clearing only slowly. Some sunny spells, but wintry showers over Ulster and also along the southeast coast, giving some sleet and snow in places. Top temperatures just 1 to 4 C., at best.

Outlook

It will be cold over the weekend and well into next week with very frosty nights. Some wintry showers at times, but good periods of dry weather also. Friday night will be very cold and frosty with some icy roads. Lowest temperatures zero to -6 C., - coldest over Munster and south Leinster. Some wintry showers of sleet and snow are likely too, mainly in northern half of the country. A spell of rain will push into Ulster during Saturday morning, and will push southwards in the afternoon and evening, giving some sleet and snow in places, especially so on high ground and mountains, but some at lower levels also. Saturday night will be very cold and frosty with some icy roads. Some dry clear spells, but some further wintry showers will affect parts of Ulster and Connacht, north Leinster and west Munster, with some further snow in places. Lowest temperatures zero to -5 C. Sunday will be cold, bright and quite breezy, with sunny spells and occasional wintry showers, with these mainly affect the northern half of the country, and also western coastal counties. Very cold and frosty overnight with icy roads. Most places dry but some further wintry showers possible on northern and western coasts. Monday and Tuesday will be very cold days, with frosts early and late. Some sunny spells by day but scattered wintry showers also, with coastal counties of the west and north most at risk.

ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! typical temp was 1c and dropping then cloud came and rose it to 4.5c ahhhhhhh!!!!! were not getting our 2c max now!

• Advertisement

Temp a chilly 0.6c here which appears to be the lowest of the night/morning so far. Wind direction alternating between NW and NNE. Actually feels colder than the heavy frost we had on Monday morning.

Temp a chilly 0.6c here which appears to be the lowest of the night/morning so far. Wind direction alternating between NW and NNE. Actually feels colder than the heavy frost we had on Monday morning.

we wouldbe been lower than that going by other places :mad: so this cloud better get lost and plummet my temp or ill be angry and not get my cold mins and high of 2c imagine if this comes tonight!

owenc wrote: »
    we wouldbe been lower than that going by other places :mad: so this cloud better get lost and plummet my temp or ill be angry and not get my cold mins and high of 2c imagine if this comes tonight!

Not to worry Owen, the colder airmass is not really expected to arrive til later on today. Whether or not there is much cloud contained within in it is another matter, but yeah or nay, it is going to feel much colder than at the moment.

http://91.121.93.17/pics/MT8_Dublin_ens.png

Good ensemble support out to the 24th, then it looks like the op's Christmas breakdown had little support (25th to 28th). :pac:

Not to worry Owen, the colder airmass is not really expected to arrive til later on today. Whether or not there is much cloud contained within in it is another matter, but yeah or nay, it is going to feel much colder than at the moment.

i thought it had already arrived, is there like a image to show when it come sor what?

EDIT: there are now traces of snow on the rain today radar in ni coming over from scotland.....

i thought it had already arrived, is there like a image to show when it come sor what?

It is not far:

Presently:

99206.png

This evening:

99207.png

A chilly evening ahead.

It is not far:

Presently:

99206.png

This evening:

99207.png

A chilly evening ahead.

hmmm the nw say -8c 850c should be over us now? is there one of those for 12pm?

hmmm the nw say -8c 850c should be over us now? is there one of those for 12pm?

Well if the NW (what is that?) say that then they must be right. The blue in the charts represents 850 temps of below -10c. So it is quite possible that -8c isotherm has already made its way over Ireland.

Edit, actually that is wrong. The blue represents -5c. So I doubt -8c is over us just yet.

A pure imby post, but YR.NO remains insistent on temps not making it much above freezing, if at all, for the Broken Wheel tomorrow:

99208.png

even a little snow shower at around 6pm :pac:

Met Eireann forcast should be coming on before 8 on rte radio 1.

• Advertisement

temps are dropping now thk god even though it is really cloudy may this cloud be the cold uppers???? nw is net weather goto this link for the cold uppers www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=sowforecast;sess= if it dosnt work click local forecast in nw then click snow risk of the right hand side bar its all there

temps are dropping now thk god even though it is really cloudy may this cloud be the cold uppers???? nw is net weather

Colder air will be coming in around early evening.

Colder air will be coming in around early evening.

ok then thx i think the temps will drop from now on until its a 2c max later on:D then ice days from tomorrow onwards except saturday which will be mild at 3c then itll snow!!!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭burger1979

I have been watching the thread with interest since it started, but i have to say that it seems like its making the week dddrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagggggggggggggg out wwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy too long. in saying that if there is any chance of snow dumping in meath over the next few days then bring it on (particularly monday so i dont have to go to work):D:D

Just listened. Pretty reasonable I thought?

Just listened. Pretty reasonable I thought?

Yeah, liberal use of the word wintry is always a good sign. :pac: Knowing they need to be conversative as always I'd say that was a reasonable forecast alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Yeah, liberal use of the word wintry is always a good sign. :pac: Knowing they need to be conversative as always I'd say that was a reasonable forecast alright.

God met eireann are infuriating sometimes!!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

Good Morning all,
    Have a look at this http://www.raintoday.co.uk/
    Looks like snow over england lets hope it come's are way :D

leahyl wrote: »
    God met eireann are infuriating sometimes!!:mad:

Hey the outlook from them was all for rain yesterday morning so this is a big improvement. They don't really talk about snow till they are very confident and at fairly short notice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Hey the outlook from them was all for rain yesterday morning so this is a big improvement. They don't really talk about snow till they are very confident and at fairly short notice.

hhhhmmm....!!!:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement