Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Change Monday Onward, much colder, ice and snow later

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Hey the outlook from them was all for rain yesterday morning so this is a big improvement. They don't really talk about snow till they are very confident and at fairly short notice.

yeah a lot better from yesterday...saturday evening looks like the big day. and maybe showers on the sunday if they penetrate inland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

It will be cold over the weekend and well into next week with very frosty nights. Some wintry showers at times, but good periods of dry weather also. Friday night will be very cold and frosty with some icy roads. Lowest temperatures zero to -6 C., - coldest over Munster and south Leinster. Some wintry showers of sleet and snow are likely too, mainly in northern half of the country. Saturday will dawn cold and frosty, but sunny spells will soon develop. But a spell of rain will develop over Ulster during the morning, and will push southwards in the afternoon and evening, giving some sleet in places. Some snow is likely later as it clears southwards, this early in the night in most places, especially so on high ground and mountains, but some at lower levels also. Saturday night will be very cold and frosty in its wake, with some icy roads. Some dry clear spells, but some further wintry showers will affect parts of Ulster and Connacht, north Leinster and west Munster, with some further snow in places. Lowest temperatures zero to -5 C. Sunday will be cold, bright and quite breezy, with sunny spells and occasional wintry showers, with these mainly affect the northern half of the country, and also western coastal counties. Very cold and frosty overnight with icy roads. Most places dry but some further wintry showers possible on northern and western coasts. Monday and Tuesday will be very cold days, with frosts early and late. Some sunny spells by day but scattered wintry showers also, with coastal counties of the west and north most at risk.

Woohoo!! Maybe just maybe!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Looking at the radar, good to see snow showers as far west as Wales already, although clearly over high ground.

I see some pink flecks in Ulster too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

leahyl wrote: »
    Woohoo!!

Have to say leahyl, you are a delight. Certainly your posts cheer me up anyway! icon14.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

Have to say leahyl, you are a delight. Certainly your posts cheer me up anyway! icon14.gif

I was just thinking the same, can't wait to see what she is like when the snow hits Cork

• Advertisement

roryc1 wrote: »
    I was just thinking the same, can't wait to see what she is like when the snow hits Cork

AAAWW SHUCKS:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

roryc1 wrote: »

I hope Cork gets plastered!

I hope Cork gets plastered!

Well not to the point where we can't move now - that may be a bit too much...!!:D

In case anyone missed the link posted earlier : http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Pink/red is snow and silver/grey is sleet. Zoom for a better look of your area.

Looks like some light sleet/snow on hills up around the Donegal border.

that radar get shaded further west? does it not cover there? thanks

i'm far more optimistic this morning about our chances - not sure why!

• Advertisement

that radar get shaded further west? does it not cover there? thanks

i'm far more optimistic this morning about our chances - not sure why!

Me too! I'm VERY optimistic now!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Anyone from Donegal on now?, is there anything white falling at all??? :confused:

In Sligo this morning there is a lovely orange tinge in the few clouds that are drifting slowly, blue sky to the back of that, lovely morning here. Temp in town 6c (well according to the temp thingy over the pharmacy, mad scientific or what :P)

Still holding out for a hero here, (ie. someone who can safely assure me that the snowmans worth of snow will fall in Dromahair over the weekend... :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I left Donegal at 4.45 this morning and there was only frost at that stage.

eskimocat wrote: »
    Anyone from Donegal on now?, is there anything white falling at all??? :confused:

In Sligo this morning there is a lovely orange tinge in the few clouds that are drifting slowly, blue sky to the back of that, lovely morning here. Temp in town 6c (well according to the temp thingy over the pharmacy, mad scientific or what :P)

Still holding out for a hero here, (ie. someone who can safely assure me that the snowmans worth of snow will fall in Dromahair over the weekend... :D)

It will! How's that for you! That';s you assurance and you just know i'm right!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

A few wintry showers will affect east and southeastern areas from now until around 2pm, then the showers should have all turned to hail/snow and there could be a few heavy ones.

I would say best place for snow cover would be the southeast today, even tonight there could be a few showers feeding in off the Irish sea so i would say a covering in Wexford, Wicklow by tomorrow morning is likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

leahyl wrote: »
    It will! How's that for you! That';s you assurance and you just know i'm right!;)

THANK YOU!!!!!:D That will do nicely !! And the Hero award goes to ...... Leahyl!! Congrats :p

lol, so excited by the prospect of snow, it has to be one of my favourite weather forecasts, other than tornados, and as we don't get too many of them in Leitrim, Snow will have to suffice... :D

-10 uppers over a lot more of the country at 24 hours on the 6Z GFS :pac:

Increases precip from the 6z GFS

Chance of lying snow from South Meath ---> Waterford and about 30-40 miles inland from this evening to midnight.

Could be some action in the Irish with 850hpa temps of below -10c sitting over it for a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ellobee

What do people think of the BBC website forecasts, how accurate are they, because they are forecasting Heavy Snow for Dublin for Sunday Night and Monday????

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/31?&search=dublin&itemsPerPage=10&region=world

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

JackieChan wrote: »
    Wow, when was the last time we hit double digit negative temps?
    I thought that might be approaching a record but on ME they give mins of around -19c from 30 years ago!!
    -18c was recorded at a place called Lullymore, Co Kildare on Jan 1st 1979. This is officially the lowest temperature recorded in the 20th century in Ireland.

• Advertisement

ellobee wrote: »
    What do people think of the BBC website forecasts, how accurate are they, because they are forecasting Heavy Snow for Dublin for Sunday Night and Monday????

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/31?&search=dublin&itemsPerPage=10&region=world

would pay a lot more attention to bbc than metcheck anyway. still so far off very hard to tell exactly where snow is going to fall in my opinion. still the signs are good with geting colder and precipitation around!:)

06Z GFS again brings good snow potential for Saturday night.

06Z GFS again brings good snow potential for Saturday night.

will it be widespread? leahyl and myself would be very unhappy if it didn't spread south so bear that in mind in your reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

Increases precip from the 6z GFS

Chance of lying snow from South Meath ---> Waterford and about 30-40 miles inland from this evening to midnight.

Could be some action in the Irish with 850hpa temps of below -10c sitting over it for a time.

I hope it reaches Waterford, we must have been one of the only places that got NO snow earlier this year, however looking out the window now the sun is putting on a very good show today. Its about 5 deg at the moment though, fingers crossed :D

will it be widespread? leahyl and myself would be very unhappy if it didn't spread south so bear that in mind in your reply!

There is a warm sector involved, and dewpoints are around 0-2c for most when it arrives but the precip will be widespread and if it is heavy should be snow but it will be a mix, midlands and east more likely to get snow than south and west because colder air more embedded here and warm sector less.

Back of the front will be all snow for most.

We would indeed so tread carefully.....!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭paulhac

ellobee wrote: »

These BBC five day forecasts are computer generated with little or no human input so they arent to be relied upon.

Looks fairly widespread on this run yes, though the North would probably get the heaviest. Hard to predict precip. The radar will be your best bet.

There is a warm sector involved, and dewpoints are around 0-2c for most when it arrives but the precip will be widespread and if it is heavy should be snow but it will be a mix, midlands and east more likely to get snow than south and west because colder air more embedded here and warm sector less.

Back of the front will be all snow for most.

that colder air should be over us by saturday night and sunday..we usually do a lot better from a north westerly airflow and showers streaming in! met eireann mentioned west munster so hopefully! is there much precipitation for monday to wednesday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

My oh My what a good looking forecast! :D
    Met eireann forecasting snow
    Outlook

It will be cold over the weekend and well into next week with very frosty nights. Some wintry showers at times, but good periods of dry weather also. Friday night will be very cold and frosty with some icy roads. Lowest temperatures zero to -6 C., - coldest over Munster and south Leinster. Some wintry showers of sleet and snow are likely too, mainly in northern half of the country. Saturday will dawn cold and frosty, but sunny spells will soon develop. But a spell of rain will develop over Ulster during the morning, and will push southwards in the afternoon and evening, giving some sleet in places. Some snow is likely later as it clears southwards, this early in the night in most places, especially so on high ground and mountains, but some at lower levels also. Saturday night will be very cold and frosty in its wake, with some icy roads. Some dry clear spells, but some further wintry showers will affect parts of Ulster and Connacht, north Leinster and west Munster, with some further snow in places. Lowest temperatures zero to -5 C. Sunday will be cold, bright and quite breezy, with sunny spells and occasional wintry showers, with these mainly affect the northern half of the country, and also western coastal counties. Very cold and frosty overnight with icy roads. Most places dry but some further wintry showers possible on northern and western coasts. Monday and Tuesday will be very cold days, with frosts early and late. Some sunny spells by day but scattered wintry showers also, with coastal counties of the west and north most at risk.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement