Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Change Monday Onward, much colder, ice and snow later

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭paulhac

Increases precip from the 6z GFS

Chance of lying snow from South Meath ---> Waterford and about 30-40 miles inland from this evening to midnight.

Could be some action in the Irish with 850hpa temps of below -10c sitting over it for a time.
    What are the chances of some thundery showers coming in off the sea Weathercheck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Hows the charts looking for christmas day?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

that colder air should be over us by saturday night and sunday..we usually do a lot better from a north westerly airflow and showers streaming in! met eireann mentioned west munster so hopefully! is there much precipitation for monday to wednesday?

I know note how i put West Munster in bold in my earlier post:D!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

so do i get the snowboard out of the attic tonight???

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Max temps of -7 in parts of Ulster Monday night based on the 06Z.
    Cold / Broken :eek:

• Advertisement

so do i get the snowboard out of the attic tonight???

I think so!! :D

Some light snow flurries over the Wicklow Mts at the moment on the radar? http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Pangea wrote: »
    Hows the charts looking for christmas day?

GFS breaks down the cold on xmas day, but thats a long way off, charts will chop and change a lot before then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

Sleet in Kildare at the moment!

Just looked at bbc 5 day outlook for Cork and it says sun for the next few days and light rain on Monday:(

• Advertisement

Elmo5 wrote: »
    Sleet in Kildare at the moment!

Looks like its a few miles east of Naas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

yes, that would be me, Celbridge!

Well I'm not far from the wicklow mtns and can tell you that we had hail showers during the night.
    Theres no snow on croghan at circa 2000ft asl but there does appear to be at the base of lugnaquilla,though its difficult to make out as it's shrouded in cloud.

I'm going to try to get my davis weather station temporarally back up today ,it's been stored in a shed for a while.
    the solar rechargeable batter appears to be dead which is not a good start... especially as theres little or no sun here today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I'm sorry for being such a moan and a whinger but I feel it's just another missed opportunity. I'm afraid those of us in eastern areas have missed the boat:( but if you live in the north and west enjoy the snow shindig over the weekend :) Only once in my entire life have I ever seen snow from a northerly in the Dublin area (end Dec 2000)
    By the way the real reason I'm so disappointed is for my 10 year old daughter. She was so excited at the prospect of snow. I'm not a big baby who's sulking cos we didn't get some of the white stuff, believe me I know what the Irish climate is capable of and usually not capable of!

Elmo5 wrote: »
    yes, that would be me, Celbridge!

it's sunny here...god damn sun:mad:!

leahyl wrote: »
    Just looked at bbc 5 day outlook for Cork and it says sun for the next few days and light rain on Monday:(

I wouldn't worry too much about that. Those kind of city forecasts are useless when it comes to things like whether a snow shower will miss you by 10 miles or not in 3 or 4 days time! ;)

I wouldn't worry too much about that. Those kind of city forecasts are useless when it comes to things like whether a snow shower will miss you by 10 miles or not in 3 or 4 days time! ;)

Yay! I will take your word for it maquiladora!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20091217/video/vuk-britain-shivers-as-big-chill-hits-49bfa63.html

Most of the UK will see some snow as the cold snap continues.
    Related photos / videos

1604895635-snow-due-cold-snap-continues.jpg#200,200 Snow due as cold snap continues Enlarge photo
    More photos: Weather

Related content

Have your say: Weather

Many areas will see just a dusting of flakes but East Anglia and south east England were warned to expect between 10 and 15cm.
    Paul Mott, forecaster from MeteoGroup UK, the weather arm of the Press Association, said it will be cold and wintry for the next week throughout the UK, but a white Christmas is more likely in the north.

"There could be a return to slightly milder weather before Christmas," he said. "If there is any snow at Christmas it is looking more likely in northern areas. It will be milder in the South."

Mr Mott said most areas of the UK will see some snow with Scotland, the North East of England and Yorkshire likely to see several centimetres.
    Snow is least likely in south west England and south west Wales, he said.
    "The heaviest of the snow showers are likely to be in East Anglia and south east England. The heaviest of the snow looks to be over Suffolk and Norfolk with 10 to 15cms overnight, a good blanket."

London could see between two and 5cms, he added, with a strong wind making it feel bitterly cold. Less snow is expected in north and western parts but temperatures could fall as low as -5C (23F), he said.
    East Anglia and the south east are likely to see further snow showers on Friday. More snow is expected across the UK on Saturday.

Bookmaker Ladbrokes cut its odds on London experiencing a white Christmas from 5/2 to 2/1. It is also offering odds of 2/1 for a white Christmas in Glasgow. Aberdeen has odds of 11/8 while Birmingham, Cardiff, Dublin and Manchester are all on 11/4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Just woke up to a good covering of snow in Amsterdam, unluckily for me i'm coming home for Christmas today though so won't be around to enjoy it. I presume it's this weather that's making it's way to Ireland? It feels unbelievably cold here

redsunset wrote: »
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20091217/video/vuk-britain-shivers-as-big-chill-hits-49bfa63.html

Most of the UK will see some snow as the cold snap continues.
    Related photos / videos

1604895635-snow-due-cold-snap-continues.jpg#200,200 Snow due as cold snap continues Enlarge photo
    More photos: Weather

Related content

Have your say: Weather

Many areas will see just a dusting of flakes but East Anglia and south east England were warned to expect between 10 and 15cm.
    Paul Mott, forecaster from MeteoGroup UK, the weather arm of the Press Association, said it will be cold and wintry for the next week throughout the UK, but a white Christmas is more likely in the north.

"There could be a return to slightly milder weather before Christmas," he said. "If there is any snow at Christmas it is looking more likely in northern areas. It will be milder in the South."

Mr Mott said most areas of the UK will see some snow with Scotland, the North East of England and Yorkshire likely to see several centimetres.
    Snow is least likely in south west England and south west Wales, he said.
    "The heaviest of the snow showers are likely to be in East Anglia and south east England. The heaviest of the snow looks to be over Suffolk and Norfolk with 10 to 15cms overnight, a good blanket."

London could see between two and 5cms, he added, with a strong wind making it feel bitterly cold. Less snow is expected in north and western parts but temperatures could fall as low as -5C (23F), he said.
    East Anglia and the south east are likely to see further snow showers on Friday. More snow is expected across the UK on Saturday.

Bookmaker Ladbrokes cut its odds on London experiencing a white Christmas from 5/2 to 2/1. It is also offering odds of 2/1 for a white Christmas in Glasgow. Aberdeen has odds of 11/8 while Birmingham, Cardiff, Dublin and Manchester are all on 11/4

awww that doesn't sound very good does it....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

Sleety rain here in Clane at the moment!!

This reminds me of last year posting from all over the country about snow showers:D,it was great fun.Here's hoping for some real stuff:)

holly1 wrote: »
    Sleety rain here in Clane at the moment!!

This reminds me of last year posting from all over the country about snow showers:D,it was great fun.Here's hoping for some real stuff:)

I know brings me right back....sigh....Cork it seems is the worst location to be if you want to see a bit of the white stuff...:(

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Just woke up to a good covering of snow in Amsterdam, unluckily for me i'm coming home for Christmas today though so won't be around to enjoy it. I presume it's this weather that's making it's way to Ireland? It feels unbelievably cold here
    Well it depends.
    Models are confused.
    Daytime maxima in moscow are minus 20 c so an westerly advection in an east wind of that is what we want.
    A northerly/northwesterly at times here in Ireland will bring cold enough for snow but less cold.

It's advection of that russian cold you are getting [barely] as is the SE of the UK at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Well I'm not far from the wicklow mtns and can tell you that we had hail showers during the night.
    Theres no snow on croghan at circa 2000ft asl but there does appear to be at the base of lugnaquilla,though its difficult to make out as it's shrouded in cloud.

I'm going to try to get my davis weather station temporarally back up today ,it's been stored in a shed for a while.
    the solar rechargeable batter appears to be dead which is not a good start... especially as theres little or no sun here today.

Nice one - BTW, my weather station is back online but the wind vane is fecked:

http://www.roundwoodweather.com

Seems still too warm for snow at 3.6c but temp seems to be dropping...

A

I know brings me right back....sigh....Cork it seems is the worst location to be if you want to see a bit of the white stuff...:(
    To be fair,the atlantic is the king of showermaking [it has a lot more water than the irish sea and a lot more sea path obviously] so if the air is cold enough from that direction and strong enough...then of course you will see some.
    chin up :)

This whole even seems to be a now cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Lovely warm sunny weather here in Celbridge.

I don't think I'll visit this forum anymore. It just gets my hopes up. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

OUCH!

Is there time to emigrate please?

Max temps of -7 in parts of Ulster Monday night based on the 06Z.
    Cold / Broken :eek:

arctictree wrote: »
    Nice one - BTW, my weather station is back online but the wind vane is fecked:

http://www.roundwoodweather.com

Seems still too warm for snow at 3.6c but temp seems to be dropping...

A
    It *should* drop more as we head towards evening.
    The latest fax charts have an organised band of showers appearing in the Irish sea later today and have called them a cold front.
    They might start as sleet in your location [if they are strong enough to get there and they might be] but they will quickly start to fall as snow.

Can you post your dp's and trend in them as often as you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

I think we should move to Cavan they always get snow.We could always rent a hotel for the winter for our weather fanatics,but then we could be certain all the snow would fall in Kildare and Cork:confused:,yea just cant win:rolleyes:!!!!!!!:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

There are interesting looking clouds slowly ambling in over the tops here; BlUe Stacks, Donegal.

Bitter cold also... No frost though.

Something will soon be falling..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement