Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Change Monday Onward, much colder, ice and snow later

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

rte's forecast :eek:
    no snow just rain shower's
    ive a bad feeling rumbling around me stomach over this "event"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

trogdor wrote: »
    I don't think daytime maxes of -5C are quite on offer, but i hope i'm proven wrong:p:D

I know its in FI, but the 12Z GFS chart for max temps at midday next Sunday shows -1 over Ireland and just going by how the GFS seems to be 3 or 4 degrees off for tonight thats where I came up with -5 :P :pac:

jambofc wrote: »

Last night Gerry mentioned "wintery" at least 3 times and this morning on the radio Jean mentioned "sleet and snow" later in the week and colder with more "sleet and snow" next weekend so this evenings forecast from the eagle without even a mention of sleet is either a plain downgrade or a sign that there is just a lot more of uncertainty now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I can only describe the Eagle Eagleton's forecast as hilarious, talk about "the elephant in the room" He kept mentioning "instability" which probably means "disruption"

Jeez man, whaddaya want, I think it was a good honest forecast! He laid it out straight from the off that it was an uncertain picture, which is the case. No point mentioning snow just cos that's what the people want to hear, if/when the time's right then they'll do that.....now the thing is figuring out whether that time will come! :)

Last night Gerry mentioned "wintery" at least 3 times and this morning on the radio Jean mentioned "sleet and snow" later in the week and colder with more "sleet and snow" next weekend so this evenings forecast from the eagle without even a mention of sleet is either a plain downgrade or a sign that there is just a lot more of uncertainty now.

and sky's has changed now too
    wintry showers with snow over 200mtrs "possibly" down to lower levels at times
    thursday into friday
    seem's to me a big downgrade on all fronts!?!?!?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

nuts...and me all ready to drag out my copy of The Day after Tomorrow for survival tips!!

RTEs forecast didnt exactly call the floods either until people were up to their ankles in water...
    Id stay with the lads here for detailed and acurate forecasts.
    RTE will announce snow, when we all ahve 6foot snowmen built in our gardens. :)

seem's to me a big downgrade on all fronts!?!?!?!?

Well not really, just in terms of snow potential at the moment, its still going to get cold and it'll stay cold for a while, but there seems to be more uncertainty now about snow but that can change again tomorrow or tuesday...it's not that bad! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 34 eireanbo

its so cold were i am now in the midlands my gas bottle has frozen...reading all your threads all week use have me gasping for snow.....it better happen.

Well not really, just in terms of snow potential at the moment, its still going to get cold and it'll stay cold for a while, but there seems to be more uncertainty now about snow but that can change again tomorrow or tuesday...it's not that bad! :pac:

i have the whole family danceing around the fire chanting the ancient "snow charm" :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 samsson

not so sure if if ireland will get anything from this at all. seems to me its gonna be england and eastern scotland. dont think the proper easterly cold will penetrate this far west.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Met Éireann : Frost will become widespread on Tuesday night, with a risk of icy patches. From Wednesday through to Friday it will turn even colder, with a risk of scattered wintry showers of sleet or even snow, mainly in northern and eastern coastal areas and especially over high ground.

BRING ON THE SNOW! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭bkelly86

Being following with great interest the past few days. Is it usually the case that met eireann are cautious of predicting disruptive weather such as snow until they're 100% sure? I'd love some sort of snow event, theres no better way of taking you back to your childhood.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

this is looking like the usuall northerly blast with a few frost nights and some sleety showers at best. Untill both the BBC and RTE issue red triangle warnings of a snow blizzard there is no point getting excited about a snowfest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Another mind boggling forecast from the eagle.
    No mention of sleet even, just rain and showers and 8C for the south thru midweek
    Is he for real?? Time will tell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

RTE Met Eireann have just said it will be all rain and dry for the weekend.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Yr.no is calling it wet and 5 degrees until saturday when they say there will be sleet (all in Dublin). Surely they must know snow forecasts when they see one ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

they just can't admit it. People need to know really. Just like they failed to forecast the awful rain that caused the flooding. They didn't give people time. No proper warning in advance.

No point in forecasting yesterdays weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

I think Met Eireann are in a tough situation when it comes to forecasting snow, especially this time around due to the uncertainty in the models and the rarity of the synoptics at this time of year. Add to that the marginal nature of any possible snowfall in this country and you can have a real brain twister on your hands.

They have to very cautious before forecasting a snow event. A few years ago they forecast heavy snow in the northwest that never happened. Much anger and finger pointing in Met Eireann's direction ensued due to loss of business in that area because of people cancelling trips and the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Met Eireann got burnt in the past, they forecasted Major Disruption from Snow in the Northwest a few years ago, Donegal in particular. Many hoteliers publically criticized Met E on the RTE News for it. That IMHO is the reason they won't call a snow event just yet. Imagine, calling a snowfest for Thursday right now, and it didn't come to pass, think of all the businesses affected by loss of trade, right in the run up to Christmas and especially in this recession. There is more at play than pandering to our wishes!!!

• Advertisement

LOL!!! Rougies beat me to it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Rougies wrote: »
    I think Met Eireann are in a tough situation when it comes to forecasting snow, especially this time around due to the uncertainty in the models and rarity of the synoptics. Add to that the marginal nature of any possible snowfall in this country and you can have a real brain twister on your hands.

They have to very cautious before forecasting a snow event. A few years ago they forecast heavy snow in the northwest that never happened. Much anger and finger pointing in Met Eireann's direction ensued due to loss of business in that area because of people cancelling trips and the likes.

Just to add to that as well, along with the uncertainty of what is going to happen due to the rarity of the synoptics, what's being shown on the charts is not really that conducive to snow (or at least acculations anyhow) for low levels until the end of the week at least. Which brings us back to the uncertainty again, to look to next weekend at this stage is pure speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Danno wrote: »
    think of all the businesses affected by loss of trade, right in the run up to Christmas and especially in this recession.

not to mention disappointed (read: whinging) children who were promised snow and didn't get it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Lol Danno! Too slow :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

All aboard the Artic Express next weekend;)

Rtavn1322.png

Rtavn15617.png

Rtavn16217.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

dedon wrote: »
    they just can't admit it. People need to know really. Just like they failed to forecast the awful rain that caused the flooding. They didn't give people time. No proper warning in advance.

No point in forecasting yesterdays weather.

That's just rubbish. That flooding wasn't caused by any one event, it was caused by a month of repetitive rainy periods which were very well forecasted and communicated. It's not their fault that houses have been built in known flood planes.
    Danno wrote: »
    Met Eireann got burnt in the past, they forecasted Major Disruption from Snow in the Northwest a few years ago, Donegal in particular. Many hoteliers publically criticized Met E on the RTE News for it. That IMHO is the reason they won't call a snow event just yet. Imagine, calling a snowfest for Thursday right now, and it didn't come to pass, think of all the businesses affected by loss of trade, right in the run up to Christmas and especially in this recession. There is more at play than pandering to our wishes!!!

Exactly. Why forecast something when it's looking less and less likely that it will happen. People on here and other forums get so caught up in a few model runs and the wish for something freaky that anyone that stands in their way gets slated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,092 ✭✭✭pauldry

why cant Met Eireann acknowledge our existance and say

something like

"a lot of medium range forecasters are predicting snow later in the week but due to the uncertain nature of the effect of sea temps on the Irish Sea and the exact location of where the low and high will be located an event like this cannot be forecasted with accuracy until a lot closer to the time":rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Gentlemen, gentlemen - calm down. The forcast has not changed. Come back on Sunday and moan endlessly if you have no snow at that stage. Unlikely.

pauldry wrote: »
    why cant Met Eireann acknowledge our existance and say

something like

"a lot of medium range forecasters are predicting snow later in the week but due to the uncertain nature of the effect of sea temps on the Irish Sea and the exact location of where the low and high will be located an event like this cannot be forecasted with accuracy until a lot closer to the time":rolleyes:

That would take up valuable advertising time for RTE!!! :p

I guess Met Eireann being a public body do not see any competition to them, there for they do not need to heed any other forecasts.

However, if they were a private company they'd be at it like Dunnes and Tescos. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

darkman2 wrote: »
    Gentlemen, gentlemen - calm down. The forcast has not changed. Come back on Sunday and moan endlessly if you have no snow at that stage. Unlikely.

& ladies lol

Getting back to the task at hand ....give us an oul guestimate there darkman on what you see based on those little chart things & cheer us all up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement