Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Change Monday Onward, much colder, ice and snow later

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

pauldry wrote: »
    I am only talking about Sligo in those temp predictions so please dont come at me saying im talking rubbish.

The thing is that unless anything you mention doesn't turn out to be exactly what happens, no matter how plausible or not, then it will be essentially be...erm... 'rubbish' in retrospect. :pac:

The way I see it is that this is all just casual fun watching the possibilities unfold, the only way to be sure you are getting rid of rubbish would be to only talk about the weather after it happens. :D

Anyway, let the fun and games continue...

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

Snow forecast for Killarney next Monday here.

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Kerry/Killarney/long.html

Su Campu wrote: »
    They can of course, but in mid winter cold snaps with cold landmasses they are generally confined to windward coastal areas. And all I'm doing is making a guess like everyone else on what the setup will be....certain synoptic setups can strongly hint as to where the bulk of precipitation will be, like the one I outlined above. I don't claim to be right or wrong, but if everyone else can have a stab at it then so can I.

You're not the only one who's watched weather for years...

Well I just disagreed with you which of course I'm entitled to do.
    I've come to a view over decades that weather does similar things under similar circumstances obviously.
    Ruling out precip except to the far north is up there with Gerry murphy's "shleet with maybe bits of shnow on the high ground".

IF and it's a big If,we have a low dropping into scotland for instance you could have polar lows dropping down at short notice.
    The likes of them in a northerly have closed down racing at lepordstown in the recent past.

You could have a deep Northerly flow close to the west coast that causes strong enough convection to go well inland all along the western seaboard.

You [according to the BBC] will have a strong Easterly by friday that will drag snow showers onto the East coast of Ireland [yes the beeb had more detail on their analysis at 1.30 showing snow showers in the irish sea]...
    I'd go along with that but how heavy or just flurries I don't know.

My gut feeling is it's too early in the season but the potential in the synoptics is lovely.

Anything could happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

Easy now lads its still to early to bet sure what will happen, cold yes, I would say snow is possible just about anywhere, the 850 temp looks good
    It looks like we have potential on two fronts first easterly then a north pushing down, so some chat watching ahead of us I think:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

pauldry wrote: »
    The 21st looks to be the coldest day on wetterzentrale at present. Some forecasts put the temp for this as 3c others have it as 5c both are quite cold. Oh. I am only talking about Sligo in those temp predictions so please dont come at me saying im talking rubbish. We can all wait and see and just keep putting predictions on. Its fun to watch and a general pattern of predictions will usually emerge.

Hi Pauldry

I am working in Sligo so will follow your posts with interest :D.
    Your message above is a sensible one without loosing the trill of wouldn't it be nice if .....

Eskimo ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

I wish people would stop posting rubbish here :)

Good to see you posting again BB.

Hardly rubbish, since the actual thread title reads as follows:

paperclip.gif Big Change Monday Onward, much colder, ice and snow later

Folk just having a yap about various possibilities, in perfect keeping with the aim of the thread. No harm in that surely??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Oil in the house ran out yesterday and we're broke, no heat til after christmas! Stupid present buying crap...

I just don't think Ireland's going to see much snow in general. Yes northern coastal parts may get a shower and it'll look all nice 'n wintry, but as for any widespread fall, I don't buy it.

That is the way today's models seem to be going alright. With a slack northerly forecast for the weekend, it would take a lot to drive those showers much inland. Of course, if any significant troughing occurs, then most northern counties would have a higher chance of seeing something more wintry. Let's see what the models show later as there is plenty of scope for swings and roundabouts at this early stage. :)

Good to see you posting again BB.

Hardly rubbish, since the actual thread title reads as follows:
    Oh I forgot to welcome you back :p (I never left)
    I don't think any of us should get fussed over differences of opinion on the internet anyway,it's nothing-I've always thought that :)
    People often spark off online[including me] and I'm often left wondering at the sillyness of taking it seriously.
    A thread title bears no reflection on whether any of us are talking rubbish in a thread or not either.

/here endeth my philosophical thoughts on that for the day on internet posting :D

Now back to the weather.
    It's encouraging! very encouraging!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Well I just disagreed with you which of course I'm entitled to do.
    I've come to a view over decades that weather does similar things under similar circumstances obviously.
    Ruling out precip except to the far north is up there with Gerry murphy's "shleet with maybe bits of shnow on the high ground".

IF and it's a big If,we have a low dropping into scotland for instance you could have polar lows dropping down at short notice.
    The likes of them in a northerly have closed down racing at lepordstown in the recent past.

You could have a deep Northerly flow close to the west coast that causes strong enough convection to go well inland all along the western seaboard.

You [according to the BBC] will have a strong Easterly by friday that will drag snow showers onto the East coast of Ireland [yes the beeb had more detail on their analysis at 1.30 showing snow showers in the irish sea]...
    I'd go along with that but how heavy or just flurries I don't know.

My gut feeling is it's too early in the season but the potential in the synoptics is lovely.

Anything could happen.

Yeah, east COAST. Why not the rest of the country? That contradicts what you said above.

Also, Met Éireann use coastal terminology... ;)
    TUESDAY NIGHT: Mostly dry on Tuesday night with sharp frost developing and becoming severe in some spots. WEDNESDAY: Cold on Wednesday and mostly dry and bright but there is a chance of some rain or hail showers near northern and eastern coasts. Top temperatures of 5 to 7 degrees in a light to moderate north to northeast breeze. Frosty overnight. THURSDAY, FRIDAY : Turning much colder with mainly northeast to east winds. There will be some scattered wintry showers of sleet or even snow in northern, eastern and southeastern coastal areas and especially over high ground. However the rest of the country should stay largely dry, with sunny spells. Max. daytime temperatures just 3 to 7 Celsius. Cold and very frosty nights and mornings with widespread sharp or severe frosts and sub zero air temperatures.

• Advertisement

Of course, if any significant troughing occurs, then most northern counties would have a higher chance of seeing something more wintry. Let's see what the models show later as there is plenty of scope for swings and roundabouts at this early stage. :)
    The bit in bold is pretty much was in my head when speaking earlier.

Also remember the day and a half of thunderstorms that affected Dublin in 2003.
    Those were the result of a cold northerly iirc that drove down the irish sea and set off showers that even though they were traveling south over the sea were big enough to fringe inland as far as kildare and boy was there plenty of precipitation.

No sir eee I'd not rule out anything yet and yes of course theres much chopping and changing ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Now back to the weather.
    It's encouraging! very encouraging!

LOL, Well said that Man!! (or Woman :D...) This site stops me talking the head ofmy nearest and dearest who take their weather as it happens and who are loath to speculation..... but I love it! Keep up the good work, especially those of you who seem to know the technical side of things... Love the arguments as I tend to learn more about the science side of things. Critical analysis! ;)
    Eskimo

Yeah, east COAST. Why not the rest of the country? That contradicts what you said above.
    I'm presenting several possible scenario's many of which are contradictions of one another.One for the East,one for the west and one for the north...
    The only thing in the near time frame thats certain at the moment is [backed up by the short term BBC/met office UK interpretations] that the east coast is in the line of fire come the end of the week.
    Did I not say anything could happen really?

p.s as regards met Eireann,you won't get a heavy snow forecast from them less than 24hrs before the event usually for the reasons stated earlier in the thread ie donegal gate :)

Oh I forgot to welcome you back :p (I never left)
    I don't think any of us should get fussed over differences of opinion on the internet anyway,it's nothing-I've always thought that :)

I don't see many people on here getting fussed over differences of opinion?
    A thread title bears no reflection on whether any of us are talking rubbish in a thread or not either.

Except, by your standards, the actual thread title would be classed as "rubbish" since it dares to make a forecast beyond the reasonable time frame.

However, I agree with you that things are looking good, such a change from the nonsense of the last few winters.

DE- I'm referring to the fuss last january.
    Lets not go there!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

Hi does anyone know when the latest charts will be released ?

I'm following this thread with some expectation, although I probably shouldn't

:lol:

Lets not go there!

Oh that...:p

No intentions of going there again. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Lets not go there!
    LOL I bet

These threads always go this way, its like Utd and Pool on the Soccer forum. Its all about opinions and all it takes is respect of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Hey guys - any hope for a bit of a flurry in Cork??!!:)

francosp wrote: »
    Hi does anyone know when the latest charts will be released ?

I'm following this thread with some expectation, although I probably shouldn't

:lol:

Darkman posted the times at the very start of the thread :
    Timing of model runs

GFS has 4 model runs per day. They begin coming out at the following times.

00z - 03.30
    06z - 09.30
    12z - 15.30
    18z - 21.30

ECMWF has 2 model runs available to us

00z - 06.10
    12z - 18.10

UKMO (UK Met Office)
    00z - 04.45
    12z - 16.45

• Advertisement

leahyl wrote: »
    Hey guys - any hope for a bit of a flurry in Cork??!!:)
    I nearly cried one time in an easterly when cork had a snow day and the east was relatively dry if thats any help :p

I've a flight to catch shortly so may not be able to contribute for much longer.
    Whoot for airport wifi :)

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

Darkman posted the times at the very start of the thread :

Thanks, really should of seen that. Sorry for the numbnuts question !

francosp wrote: »
    Thanks, really should of seen that. Sorry for the numbnuts question !

Ah yer grand, after 14 pages its easy to miss the first posts. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,092 ✭✭✭pauldry

and the weather forecast for this week is for temperatures in single figures.

bold or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?&ech=132&mode=2

Risk of snow for many spreading from the North during Saturday. 5 days away, so getting within the 'reliable' timeframe. This one will 'rollercoaster' for the next 48-72 hours....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I nearly cried one time in an easterly when cork had a snow day and the east was relatively dry if thats any help :p

I've a flight to catch shortly so may not be able to contribute for much longer.
    Whoot for airport wifi :)

Not really but thanks anyway Black Briar! LOL! Where you headed?

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?&ech=132&mode=2

Risk of snow for many spreading from the North during Saturday. 5 days away, so getting within the 'reliable' timeframe. This one will 'rollercoaster' for the next 48-72 hours....:rolleyes:

The thing is that with a set up like this, the reliable timeframe can become even shorter cause things can get marginal one way or the other...thats what makes the ups and downs of the rollercoaster. :pac:

Anyway, 12Z GFS rolling out in half an hour, should be interesting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Black Briar, I should have mentioned in my last post that yes, I totally agree with you that if as you said a polar low forms then that would change things completely, but with the way the models were earlier this morning, it didn't seem that that would be happening. But of course it very well could!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

roryc1 wrote: »
    Easy now lads its still to early to bet sure what will happen, cold yes, I would say snow is possible just about anywhere, the 850 temp looks good
    It looks like we have potential on two fronts first easterly then a north pushing down, so some chat watching ahead of us I think:)
    I think snowfall in eastern areas later in the week is now a dead cert. Whenever an easterly is forecasted (not very often these days) I always look to see what the temperatures are to the east where the airflow is originating from- at the moment its -21c in Moscow and as we all know there's a screaming easterly heading our way!!

• Advertisement

Black Briar, I should have mentioned in my last post that yes, I totally agree with you that if as you said a polar low forms then that would change things completely, but with the way the models were earlier this morning, it didn't seem that that would be happening. But of course it very well could!
    Well in fairness I shouldn't have phrased my post the way I did either.
    We'll see what happens anyhow.
    The good thing is,the flow appears to want to be cold to very cold and it's exciting :)
    Could somebody hurry up the 12z by an hour or two...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement