Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

flash for canon 30d

• 12-12-2009 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭

hi guys want the wife to get me a flash for the canon 30d or is it d30... anyway which is the best value for money? it'll be the only flash that i will have and will be a general purpose one...
    ideally something i could tell her to pop into town, dublin, and get as it's proberbly too late to get off the net...
    thanks a milliion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Gone are the days of doing an iota of research for ourselves?

First step would be to find out which camera you actually have. 30D and D30 are vastly different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

If it is a Canon 30D I would suggest you ask for a Canon 430 EX flashgun. It is a good unit and the camera communicates well with the flashgun.
    If you are in the money the Canon 580 mk 11 is top of the range.
    Also look at this link :
    http://forums.steves-digicams.com/flash-external/128372-flash-canon-30d.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭positivenote

RB, why did you respond if you weren't gonna be helpfull? :confused:
    pixbyjohn... thanks

I entered the thread willing to help, but then when I realised you weren't even bothered checking which camera, or even brand, you own, nevermind picking a few for people to comment on, I felt it necessary to post a "wtf?"

No offense, it's just a bit OTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭hoganpoly

Rb wrote: »
    Gone are the days of doing an iota of research for ourselves?

should i point op in the direction like dpreview.com or photographyireland.com or was that too much like hard work.....in my opinion i would prefer to give some help..:)

• Advertisement

Well, I mean, is it that hard to stick 30D into google and have a look at the picture to see if it's the camera you actually own?

Most are aware of the difference between a D30 and a 30D, the perhaps biggest glaring difference being that they're made by two different manufacturers/brands. OP didn't bother checking, meaning more work for whoever he's looking for information from in exchange for less work from him.

We are on the internet, afterall. There's a big difference between "Oh I've the 30D and I was looking at x y and z and I can't figure out which is best value for money" and "I've either got a D30 or 30D, haven't bothered looking at flashes yet but I want the best value flash I can get AND it has to be available in town, so the missus can fly in and get it" but I guess there's no point in banging on the same drum if noone sees the glaring difference between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭hoganpoly

Rb wrote: »
    Well, I mean, is it that hard to stick 30D into google and have a look at the picture to see if it's the camera you actually own?

Most are aware of the difference between a D30 and a 30D, the perhaps biggest glaring difference being that they're made by two different manufacturers/brands. OP didn't bother checking, meaning more work for whoever he's looking for information from in exchange for less work from him.

We are on the internet, afterall. There's a big difference between "Oh I've the 30D and I was looking at x y and z and I can't figure out which is best value for money" and "I've either got a D30 or 30D, haven't bothered looking at flashes yet but I want the best value flash I can get AND it has to be available in town, so the missus can fly in and get it" but I guess there's no point in banging on the same drum if noone sees the glaring difference between the two.

this forum is somewhere begineers seek advice id say from your comments they will look elsewhere regardless of what model/make camera they have

hoganpoly wrote: »
    this forum is somewhere begineers seek advice id say from your comments they will look elsewhere regardless of what model/make camera they have
    Well, if it teaches them the power of the Google search engine and the world of information available from it then job well done :)

I believe you've missed the point though, so I'll leave it at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I have to agree with RB on this one,I came on here earlier to reply and when I saw the user didn't know what the model was I decided not to help,First of all I'm not entirely sure what modern flashes/if any are available for the D30

And secondly If the OP's camera is a D30 I'd recommend he upgraded before getting a flash..

OP which camera do you have,The 30D?Or D30?

its a dslr

• Advertisement

its a dslr
    heart.gifheart.gifheart.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

Unfortunately this forum, along with many other photography-related forums, is rife with help vampires. There are so many questions posted here daily that demonstrate an utter lack of consideration and competence on the part of the poster, things that are eminently findable with a little searching and research that they instead want to be spoon-fed with.

It's pathetic.

The worst part is that they're entertained by people trying to eke an acceptable answer out for their nebulous, ill-defined, and poorly-understood question in the name of friendliness and helpfulness. It could be significantly mitigated if people here would just give them a cursory but helpful response instead of turning the forum into a washing machine of repeated inane questions about what starter camera with good zoom they want for 200 Euro or which nifty fifty they done should buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Gone, it seems, are the days of being neighbourly. So waht if the OP posted an inane question? I'm sure we have all done that, on a froum, somewhere, at some time. A courteous 'what actually is the camera' type of answer would have sufficed.

If you can't be nice and mannerly then just don't respond. It is sad to see a forum used as a whipping post by people who should know better.

FFS all the guy did was ask a question:eek:. Are people that aloof that he is castigated for it?:confused:

guys ive been posting on this forum a long time and tbh the responses have always been considered and honest. Some of the responses that ive gotten on this thread have been a waste of everyone's time and nonconstructive if not a little inappropriate. If people have issues with people asking questions i feel that they should get off their high horse and keep their personal opinions to themselves. I asked a simple, straightforward question, granted there may have been confusion with regard to the model of camera being used but some poster really need to go elsewhere if they are p~ssed off with whatever it is they are p~ssed off with or we will some find this very helpful forum turning into a nasty place where newbies may be afraid to ask questions that they need advice on..
    to those that have been help full thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

guys ive been posting on this forum a long time and tbh the responses have always been considered and honest. Some of the responses that ive gotten on this thread have been a waste of everyone's time and nonconstructive if not a little inappropriate. If people have issues with people asking questions i feel that they should get off their high horse and keep their personal opinions to themselves. I asked a simple, straightforward question, granted there may have been confusion with regard to the model of camera being used but some poster really need to go elsewhere if they are p~ssed off with whatever it is they are p~ssed off with or we will some find this very helpful forum turning into a nasty place where newbies may be afraid to ask questions that they need advice on..
    to those that have been help full thanks

I wasn't talking about your question in particular, I was just commenting on an unfortunate trend I've noticed that some others felt the need to comment on in this case. If anything, I'd commend you for at least being polite and appreciative of any potential assistance. That said, is this really that hard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I think there's a tad over reaction here. I read the thread as having a Canon end of story. I don't he'd have mentioned Canon otherwise.

OP, look at one of the canon Speedlites. If the wife is going into town I recommend Gunnes and you're looking either at a 430 or a 580 depending on your budget. Gunnes are on Wexford Street - of course I'm making the stupid assumption that you're in Dublin - if you are not, please let us know.

I'll also add that I'm a bit sick of the lousy attitude being displayed here and elsewhere. If you've nothing productive to say then you're wasting your own time by typing unproductive stuff.

FWIW, I find that it's more productive to ask people who know stuff than to go to google sometimes. If you are sick of answering what you consider basic questions then don't answer them. It's easy. I do it all the freaking time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

charybdis wrote: »
    Unfortunately this forum, along with many other photography-related forums, is rife with help vampires. There are so many questions posted here daily that demonstrate an utter lack of consideration and competence on the part of the poster, things that are eminently findable with a little searching and research that they instead want to be spoon-fed with.

It's pathetic.

The worst part is that they're entertained by people trying to eke an acceptable answer out for their nebulous, ill-defined, and poorly-understood question in the name of friendliness and helpfulness. It could be significantly mitigated if people here would just give them a cursory but helpful response instead of turning the forum into a washing machine of repeated inane questions about what starter camera with good zoom they want for 200 Euro or which nifty fifty they done should buy.
    I have no issue with the constant repetition of some questions but it's when the OP won't even be helpful,First of all he wants a flash for his camera and yet still hasn't verified if it's either the old D30 or the 30D

Both are DSLR's but one is severely out dated and therefore may not be compatible with the latest functions of a 430ex and it could be pointless directing the user to that flash if his camera will only fully function with a 550 ex or 380ex...
    Freddie59 wrote: »
    Gone, it seems, are the days of being neighbourly. So waht if the OP posted an inane question? I'm sure we have all done that, on a froum, somewhere, at some time. A courteous 'what actually is the camera' type of answer would have sufficed.

If you can't be nice and mannerly then just don't respond. It is sad to see a forum used as a whipping post by people who should know better.

FFS all the guy did was ask a question:eek:. Are people that aloof that he is castigated for it?:confused:

I think maybe the first responses were abit harsh but the OP should of checked what camera he has,Or explained that he doesn't have it with him etc..
    Calina wrote: »
    I think there's a tad over reaction here. I read the thread as having a Canon end of story. I don't he'd have mentioned Canon otherwise.

OP, look at one of the canon Speedlites. If the wife is going into town I recommend Gunnes and you're looking either at a 430 or a 580 depending on your budget. Gunnes are on Wexford Street - of course I'm making the stupid assumption that you're in Dublin - if you are not, please let us know.

Are you sure the 430 or 580 works on a d30 though?

The cannon D30 seems to only be ETTL

And here's some of the differences:
    Photo.net wrote:
    The primary difference between E-TTL and E-TTL II is that E-TTL is strongly focus point biased. ETTL evaluates the flash exposure primarily at the focus point. E-TTL II does not have this high focus point biasing, and the flash exposure is calculated using more of an evaluative metering pattern.

The primary benefit of E-TTL II is that you are no longer so reliant on Flash Exposure Lock to get correct exposures. Much better for shoot-on-the fly photography. E-TTL works very well in slow motion situations, where you can 1)press one button to do FEL, 2) press another button to focus and 3) mash the shutter to take the image.
    Link here:Photo.net

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

For confirmation,the OP has a 30D.

OP, you're looking for the 430ex or the 580ex - The 580 at the moment is a mark II, but if you wanted to buy second hand, there's a mark I out there, which you could get cheaper. I'd advise getting the 580 over the 430 to be honest, it's a slightly more powerful flash with more functions - Plus it'll mean if you ever pick up a 430ex as a second flash, you'll be able to master it with the 580.

Pop into Gunn's and keep an eye on Adverts.ie

Advertisement