Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Garda Equipment...

Options
  • 12-12-2009 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone here knows any dealer who has old Garda Síochána equipment. In particular very early stuff i.e. the old bell hats, cape clasps etc.

Or if anyone here has some can they post pictures??

I know this is militaria, so feel free to move this......but I thought this was the best group to start with!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Hi niceguyalways,

welcome to the militaria collecting forum. I hope you will find someoen who can help you further. I am sure this will fit in here as there are many collectibles in militaria which also link in with police-forces and firefighters etc. I see it everyday in the WWII German militaria collection fora.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any shop or dealer myself who deals with historic Gardai material but hopefully someone will be able to help you out.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Preusse wrote: »
    Hi niceguyalways,

welcome to the militaria collecting forum. I hope you will find someoen who can help you further. I am sure this will fit in here as there are many collectibles in militaria which also link in with police-forces and firefighters etc. I see it everyday in the WWII German militaria collection fora.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any shop or dealer myself who deals with historic Gardai material but hopefully someone will be able to help you out.

:)

Thanks for that,

I'll post up some pictures of my medals etc in the near future!!

NGA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone here knows any dealer who has old Garda Síochána equipment. In particular very early stuff i.e. the old bell hats, cape clasps etc.

Or if anyone here has some can they post pictures??

I know this is militaria, so feel free to move this......but I thought this was the best group to start with!!

Hi NGA, Very rare items your after. Is it only Garda stuff or old RIC stuff your after? I have some of the Old GS silver hat and shoulder badges. I can put my feelers out for you if you want? Just give a list of what your after ;)

chem wrote: »
    Hi NGA, Very rare items your after. Is it only Garda stuff or old RIC stuff your after? I have some of the Old GS silver hat and shoulder badges. I can put my feelers out for you if you want? Just give a list of what your after ;)

Hey there!!

Ya its the rare stuff im interested. Im a member of AGS so I have sourced alot myself within the job. I have LOADS of the old silver cap and collar badges that i got issued myself down through the years. Also got alot of old registers/documents dating back to the first members of AGS when it was founded.

Anything that is pre 1950 would be of interest to me. The bell hat is the jewel in the crown.....thats my goal!! I've tried to find a picture on the net but cannot find one. Anything really that is AGS related and old.....

Hey there!!

Ya its the rare stuff im interested. Im a member of AGS so I have sourced alot myself within the job. I have LOADS of the old silver cap and collar badges that i got issued myself down through the years. Also got alot of old registers/documents dating back to the first members of AGS when it was founded.

Anything that is pre 1950 would be of interest to me. The bell hat is the jewel in the crown.....thats my goal!! I've tried to find a picture on the net but cannot find one. Anything really that is AGS related and old.....

Ill see what I can do ;) just one point. Be carefull about documents etc. I know they might be old, but I know a man in the UK who put up for sale some old RIC records, the government inacted some law that ment they still owned them, and took them off him.

Might not be the same here, but just to let you know ;)

• Advertisement

Which are these the bells hats?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

you can try here http://www.msoi.eu/ i am a member , a little over a year, and as far as i know some members collect garda Dublin Met. Police etc. stuff and i have seen a little bit of stuff for sale at their fairs. next one is in march 2010.

chem wrote: »
    Which are these the bells hats?

The second picture is the bell type hat/helmet

you can try here http://www.msoi.eu/ i am a member , a little over a year, and as far as i know some members collect garda Dublin Met. Police etc. stuff and i have seen a little bit of stuff for sale at their fairs. next one is in march 2010.

Thanks for that!!

On that site, I accually missed that auction and emailed them about a few un sold lots (IE RUC hats) but alas I got no reply:(.

The fair sounds good so i'll make my way to that:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 TransplantedDub

Heres a link to a website of a collector that has not one, but two versions of the old Garda helmet. I wrote to him , asking for a few 360 photos for reference, as yet no reply. Theres a pro artist in work to agreed to do a nice picture with a head and shoulders(bust) added in for me, but without the photos I dont know what the side hardware and ball top design really looks like. You might ask him yourself...........Cheers....Tom
    http://jackleddy.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

If your looking for photos you could try here at the Garda Museum in Dublin http://www.esatclear.ie/~garda/museum.html

• Registered Users Posts: 32 TransplantedDub

Thanks for the tip Boss, unfortunately also contacted...no reply from there either...there was an awful nice fella who ran the little museum down in Templemore years ago..lost his name...would have been helpful. Shame really, the lad who agreed to do the sketch does really nice work, hate to miss the oppertunity,very hard to get a good illustrator to do a favour such as this.

Thanks for the tip Boss, unfortunately also contacted...no reply from there either...there was an awful nice fella who ran the little museum down in Templemore years ago..lost his name...would have been helpful. Shame really, the lad who agreed to do the sketch does really nice work, hate to miss the oppertunity,very hard to get a good illustrator to do a favour such as this.

Contact the Garda College direct and ask them to take the photos. The museum is still there and still hole a nice collection for such a small room.

00353 (0)504 35400

Or ring the Museum in the castle direct on 00353 (0)1 666 9999

Dont give up!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h359/rexmundi77/DSCF0742.jpg

not for sale put RIC handcuffs belonging to my great grandfather. I notice some versions had a chain between the two irons.

Fuinseog wrote: »

not for sale put RIC handcuffs belonging to my great grandfather. I notice some versions had a chain between the two irons.

Some of the Garda versions had chains on them. They were station issue here until about 1984 (?) where the smith and wesson ons were made personal issue.

Very hard to get them with the key these days. I'll dig out the set I have for photos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 patrickflynn26

Fuinseog wrote: »

MODERATOR WARNING: patrickflynn26, please familiarise yourself with the forum charter for the Militaria forum. Any items for sale or wanted should be advertised on www.adverts.ie first. You may then link to the ad here on thread. - Preusse

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

See warning below.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

there is a Thrift Shop in Capel Street in Dublin and they have a garda baton in the window. how much it is I do not know, but its in its original leather case and given the nature of the shop unlikely to be too expensive.

Advertisement