Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schumacher return looking increasingly likely

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 FerrariRed

Woo hoo!! Doesn't get much better than that! 80 or so days to go till the master shows them how its done :)

I'll have to get a mercedes cap now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

What will happen if Hamilton and Vettel and Alonso run rings round him?
    Won't happen, but what if?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Mjollnir

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Schumacher drove F1 cars with slicks before they went grooved so he wouldnt have any problems. He is immensly talented and I`d say he could drive anything thrown at him.

Hmmm.....

Let's see him try his hand at Supermodifieds. Then I might be interested in watching him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

What will happen if Hamilton and Vettel and Alonso run rings round him?
    Won't happen, but what if?

Sarcasm I'm guessing? I'm expecting Schumi to take at least 5 races to get up to speed. And didn't Brawn leave it very late to start developing the car for this year? Could count against them a lot now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Hope it all works out, definitely gives Brawn/Mercedes a great shot at another championship. Racing is closer between the teams than when he left the sport, so if he's faster than the other drivers, should be able to race at the front.

amacachi wrote: »
    Sarcasm I'm guessing? I'm expecting Schumi to take at least 5 races to get up to speed. And didn't Brawn leave it very late to start developing the car for this year? Could count against them a lot now.

Nope, Brawn spent a whole year on this car, just like he did the year before.
    I don't think there's any doubt Brawn will start the year with an insanely fast car, the question is whether they'll be able to sustain the car over the season or not. Schumi has wiped the floor with all comers at karting events, and been right on the pace at the race of champions. So I doubt it would take him anywhere near 5 races to get back in the groove.

Question is will Ross attempt to make him stick to the "two equal drivers" rule?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Nope, Brawn spent a whole year on this car, just like he did the year before.
    I don't think there's any doubt Brawn will start the year with an insanely fast car, the question is whether they'll be able to sustain the car over the season or not. Schumi has wiped the floor with all comers at karting events, and been right on the pace at the race of champions. So I doubt it would take him anywhere near 5 races to get back in the groove.

Question is will Ross attempt to make him stick to the "two equal drivers" rule?

Ah right fair enough. I thought I'd heard that they didn't focus much on this year's car, I stand corrected. :)
    I'd say once they don't let Schumi's poor early form get to them he could be in with a good shout for race wins from the halfway point of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

The BEST news F1 could have received. This has made my Christmas and never before have I looked forward to a season like 2010. That man is not there for the money or the adulation, he is a racer and he needs to win races! It is the mentality of his that makes this sport great and thrown in with the likes of Hamilton, Alonso, Vettle, Button, Massa, Bueimi etc it will make for a stuning season! Well done MErcedes and Schumacher!

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I think this is awesome. I really hope he can be as good as he was at the peak of his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,470 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

He certainly wont have lost any of the quick thinking that helped him throughout his career. He will catch a few of the young hotshots out with this alone I think.
    Id say he will try to push his weight around on track from the off to show everyone thats hes still the man and I couldnt see them giving him a ban for risky moves until a few races in at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Interesting to note that, although a 1 year contract has been signed, Michael considers that it could be more than a year.

From www.michaelschumacher.de

""I have decided to return to Formula One. Mercedes GP and I agreed on teaming up for the coming seasons."

*EDIT* - I think credit should be shown to Eddie Jordan for breaking this story long before anyone else. Throughout his year at BBC, his inside information was much welcomed and even if he does get the odd bit of info wrong (the extent of Massa's injury), i look forward to listening to him next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭enzo7

If the car is half decent, which i expect it will be, he should be winning straight off. If you look back through his entire career even pre f1 thats what made him so special, his ability to get into any car and be bang on the pace straight away.

His as naturaly talented as anyone we have ever seen in the sport b4 i really dont see him having a problem.

Interesting to note that, although a 1 year contract has been signed, Michael considers that it could be more than a year.

""I have decided to return to Formula One. Mercedes GP and I agreed on teaming up for the coming seasons."

Ya he has an option for 2011, depending how things go this year i guess he may be around for a few yrs yet:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Yep, saying he's signed a 3 year deal! BBC Sport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

I am going to the Bahrain GP in March

I was looking forward to it before

I can't bloody wait now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

This is amazing- Schumacher v hamilton and vettel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Yep, saying he's signed a 3 year deal! BBC Sport

Only just saw that now! Wow - some good years ahead!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Probably the only time Eddie Jordon has ever been right as well!

Gintonious wrote: »

:D:D:D

• Advertisement

I am going to the Bahrain GP in March

I was looking forward to it before

I can't bloody wait now :D

seriously jealous:mad:

Think im going to go to spain coz its d first european race and then spa as it a complete schumacher circuit:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Gintonious wrote: »

I wouldnt go that far, he was right at least one other time back in '91. I figured some of the kart events Schumi entered were a little intense for someone who was looking to do it just for the craic....

..Should be an interesting year, I might even watch a race or two.

*EDIT* - I think credit should be shown to Eddie Jordan for breaking this story long before anyone else. Throughout his year at BBC, his inside information was much welcomed and even if he does get the odd bit of info wrong (the extent of Massa's injury), i look forward to listening to him next year.

Its a really nice post by Michael on his website. This really is a serious return for him and he seems completely ready and committed, and excited. I think we've one of the best F1 seasons ahead of us in years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

Fantastic news! Excited now about next years racing. It will be so unusual to see Michael driving a car other than a Ferrari :O but its great to see him back with Ross! I know who I'll be supporting :D

Strange to think taht all this has only come about because Button felt he wanted a new challenge.

Well, he's certainly got his wish now! Hamilton in the same car and Schu in his old car!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

The big thing from this, outside of the sporting impact, is that every news outlet, radio station and discussion board online are nattering about it.

F1 needs this huge exposure.

• Advertisement

The big thing from this, outside of the sporting impact, is that every news outlet, radio station and discussion board online are nattering about it.

F1 needs this huge exposure.

Exactly, and what's more, it's good exposure - not another cheating story or F1 politics. His return will generate a huge amount of positive interest for F1.

Seems as if Michael is looking forward to it!:D Also- let us not forget that he is familiar with driving on slicks and, importantly, with no re-fueling!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement