Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad smell around Naas

Options
  • 12-12-2009 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭

Anyone else getting the smell of sewerage around the Monread Road and the Ball as you come into Naas?

Its been coming and going really bad since thursday.... its rank!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

I don't think that's sewage, I think it's the local meat processing factories...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭strewelpeter

Neither, it seems to be methane and associated gases coming from a dump at kerdiffstown.

There was a quarry there that was used as some kind of a dump 30 ish years ago. It seems someone has had a license to fill it with dry filling for the last few years, whether they have been putting in stuff that they shouldn't have been or they have somehow released gas that was already there I don't know. But that is where its coming from.

Its been there and getting worse for months now but really vile in this kind of weather. I can catch a whiff of it here tonight about 4 or 5 Km away as the crow flies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 christy1971

Its the dog food factory / meat processing factory near the cinema. Been a problem for the last number of years, particularly bad during cold snap due to pervailing winds. There is also a food ingredients factory in the Monread Industrial Estate that omits a really bad odour as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

Ah right..... So I suppose there is nothing that can be done about it then ?
    Unless all the people from the whole area do some kind of protest :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I'd imagine contacting Naas Town Council might be the first step

• Advertisement

Yes indeed will be contacting Naas Town Council in the morning. Just came back from town and yes there is an apalling and suffocating smell of Methane coming up towards the Big Ball. So agree with the previous poster re. possisble cause being the old dump at Kerdiffstown. We already had the other pollution problems to deal with and now this! Im pre empting NTC response already ......."this is a matter for the EPA and not us"......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

It's not methane - methane is odourless. That smell's probably from the various food processing plants in the area. It may be a combination of wind direction and cold, maybe some other conditions at the factories?

Of course Methane is odourless, what you are smelling is all the other stuff that is decomposing in the pit. I mentioned Methane to describe the typical 'dump' smell , which is pretty silly really, I think it should be called bio gas or landfill gas .

Anyway the point is that its fairly clear that it is not coming from any of factories in the town. If it was it would be much more straightforward to stop it.

I don't think the pit is in the UDC area so responsibility for sorting it is between KCC and the EPA. I'm told both of them have been working on this for months and that there is no quick and simple solution .

I've also heard that the people who own the pit have bought up all the houses that are right beside them.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

Will be getting in touch with someone aswell tomorrow.

Breathin all that ****e in is not healthy.... a few people in the house started gettin headaches could be related ... I dunno

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Of course Methane is odourless, what you are smelling is all the other stuff that is decomposing in the pit. I mentioned Methane to describe the typical 'dump' smell , which is pretty silly really, I think it should be called bio gas or landfill gas .

Anyway the point is that its fairly clear that it is not coming from any of factories in the town. If it was it would be much more straightforward to stop it.

I don't think the pit is in the UDC area so responsibility for sorting it is between KCC and the EPA. I'm told both of them have been working on this for months and that there is no quick and simple solution .

I've also heard that the people who own the pit have bought up all the houses that are right beside them.

For sure smells like its from the factories, smells like gone off bacon today and has done for the last few days , before that it smelt like rotten chicken !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

It has been really bad driving past Naas on the M7 in the last few days. Particularily on Saturday it was so choking I nearly threw up while driving the car. It's similiar to the bad smells that come out of the chilling plant in Kildare town, but much much worse. So I'd guess it is animal carcass related.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Neither, it seems to be methane and associated gases coming from a dump at kerdiffstown.

There was a quarry there that was used as some kind of a dump 30 ish years ago. It seems someone has had a license to fill it with dry filling for the last few years, whether they have been putting in stuff that they shouldn't have been or they have somehow released gas that was already there I don't know. But that is where its coming from.

Its been there and getting worse for months now but really vile in this kind of weather. I can catch a whiff of it here tonight about 4 or 5 Km away as the crow flies.

I was at the johnstown garden centre today .. And followed a massive lorry full of domestic rubbish in to that site.

I live in sallins and was wondering what that smell was . I can confirm

thats where its from. They are tipping rubbish into it. It stinks.

the last time i was up that way. It was a quarry with tipper trucks coming in and out. Last month....

Do they have the right to open a rubbish tip so close to a major town:mad:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.241977,-6.633897&spn=0.014228,0.038581&z=15

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭coffee to go

gsxr1 wrote: »

the last time i was up that way. It was a quarry with tipper trucks coming in and out.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.241977,-6.633897&spn=0.014228,0.038581&z=15

Another view of the extent and proximity of the quarry can be seen here:

http://ims0.osiemaps.ie/website/publicviewer/main.aspx?id=&utype=&ecom=S1&user=#V1,691519,721948,6

Not sure I'd want to be playing a round on the Palmerstown golf course these days!

gsxr1 wrote: »
    Do they have the right to open a rubbish tip so close to a major town:mad:

They do because it is a licensed facility, I was mistaken when I said that their license was only for dry filling, many people believed that that was the deal but apparently they are licensed to use part of the site for biowaste.
    Hopefully they won't for much longer because the EPA are trying to have the place closed down for breaching the terms of their license.
    The reality though is they probably won't actually be able to close it because the company (A1 Waste) will at the last minute promise to spend the money they need to spend to get the site working correctly. Its hard to follow all the technical detail of what is at issue but it is claimed that they are using a part of the site that they should not be using for bio waste. That part apparently is not lined and not covered or set up however they are supposed to do it to collect all the gases.
    The EPA have been trying to get them into the High Court since the summer and they are still some way down 'the list'
    When they get there, or even in trying to get into court earlier (I've heard that they could be waiting till March to be heard)t he number of complaints that they have may help strengthen their case. To that end anyone who is concerned about this smell should go to this page on the EPA website download the complaint form fill it in. the complaints can be mailed to info@epa.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭The Gish

I pass by the "BALL" at Naas every morning and for the past while and the smell is very very bad. The smell I have been informed is from the local rubbish dump.
    God help the people living in the vacinity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

The Gish wrote: »
    I pass by the "BALL" at Naas every morning and for the past while and the smell is very very bad. The smell I have been informed is from the local rubbish dump.
    God help the people living in the vacinity.

Snap !!!

I was going to post here about it and had a laugh when i seen there already was a thread.....i thought it was my jeep for a while, then i was in the car and it was the same !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 thehylander

Yea unfortunately what we are smelling is now the second biggest dump in the country.The same company were prosecuted in the High Court for dumping without a licence in co.Wicklow but have somehow managed to gain one right on our doorsteps.They operate both a general waste and supposed recycling plant and undergo little or no inspections.

The smell here in Johnstown is insufferable and as much as we would love to move home away from the dump,houses wont sell here now because of the odour.The council have told us that the air pollution has only risen by 12% in past year and that is not grounds enough for them to take action!Seems that there is money to be made by turning a blind eye!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 keep it tidy

went to heatons yest and as i got near the naas north exit i got this bad smell at 1st i otught it was the little lad after having an accident until i got to heatons and got out of the car well my holy moly the smell is feirce, to hear that nothing can be done is a joke, if you think about it over the next few yrs it wil get smellyer and spread further so we may do somehting about it :mad::mad:

Yea unfortunately what we are smelling is now the second biggest dump in the country.The same company were prosecuted in the High Court for dumping without a licence in co.Wicklow but have somehow managed to gain one right on our doorsteps.They operate both a general waste and supposed recycling plant and undergo little or no inspections.

The smell here in Johnstown is insufferable and as much as we would love to move home away from the dump,houses wont sell here now because of the odour.The council have told us that the air pollution has only risen by 12% in past year and that is not grounds enough for them to take action!Seems that there is money to be made by turning a blind eye!

The EPA are in the process of taking them through the courts over this and are confident that if they operate the site according to their license that there will be no smell.
    Lodge your complaints with the EPA because they are the only people who can help at this time.

thanks for those links. It unreal how they are getting away with this. So close to a large population. All to make 1 man rich....

I will be complaining for sure. No one made the residents aware that a dump was going to opened there.

I though it was a result of the sallin flooding..

till I followed the dump truck.

My godness. the smell at the site would make your eyes water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭L.O.F.T

Can anyone tell me the company who runs the dump?

Its being operated by A1 Waste.
    The holding company is, I think, called Nephin Trading Ltd.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭lostinNaas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Went past the ball today, the smell is getting worse!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

I rang Neiphin/A1 today and was asked to send in a complaint in writing or email to info@a1waste.ie. Their office in Tallaght wasnt able to confirm the source of the putrid smell.

If I read the cre.ie website correctly, this dump is taking biodegradeable kitchen brown bin waste.

http://www.cre.ie/Compost%20site%20factsheets/Neiphin%20Trading,%20Naas..pdf

I've sent an email to A1 and used this link to send a complaint to the EPA;
    To that end anyone who is concerned about this smell should go to this page on the EPA website download the complaint form fill it in. the complaints can be mailed to info@epa.ie

Have many people sent a complaint form to the EPA?

If A1/Neiphin are responsible, is anyone due to renew their domestic refuse collection with A1 in Jan?

In the process of doing the following:

1. Email A1 waste to make the aware that in addition to contacting local government and councillors, a complaint is being made to the EPA in relation to their facility at Kerdiffstown info@a1waste.ie.

2.In addition a complaint should also be made to the EHO in Naas and the Environment Section in Kildare County Council: secretar@kildarecoco.ie

2. Complete the EPA form and submit:
    Originally Posted by strewelpeter viewpost.gif
    To that end anyone who is concerned about this smell should go to this page on the EPA website download the complaint form fill it in. the complaints can be mailed to info@epa.ie

3. Make contact with Darren Scully, Naas Town Council and Kildare County Councillor. He lives in Kerdiff Park, just of the Monread Road, so he will be aware of the issue first hand. dpscully@hotmail.com Please put in link to this page so he can inform himself on the public opinion.

In addition I would be in favour of contacting KFM and local media i.e. Kildare Times / Leinster Leader to highlight if it continues to persist.

The more people that highlight this issue and start shouting a little louder I'm sure something will happen.

Keep posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

Guys..TBH I think the smell is from Osberstown Water Treatment.

http://www.bnm.ie/files/20060726044042_Osberstown.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

Went past the ball today, the smell is getting worse!!

+1

from Johnstown to just past the ball...the smell is rank....much worse than usual.

Voltex wrote: »

Its not though, it is from the dump at Kerdiffstown. There really isn't any doubt about it.

• Advertisement

Voltex wrote: »

It 100% coming from the dump . Go there. you will be horribly enlightened.

Advertisement