Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad smell around Naas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

Voltex wrote: »
    Guys..TBH I think the smell is from Osberstown Water Treatment.http://www.bnm.ie/files/20060726044042_Osberstown.pdf

The smell at the golf ball wasnt so bad today, Sat but I got the pong in Kill. Take a drive past Johnstown Garden Centre towards Naas Golf Club and :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,730 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Now you all know what the people living to the NE of the Arthurstown Landfill in Kill have been subjected to for the past decade or more. The prevailing wind and geography of the area means these people hardly ever get a break from the appalling stench of Hydrogen Sulphide, Methane etc.(Rotting cabbages). Many are now suffering from health problems like severe headaches, nausea et.

Sadly the so called Authorities (EPA, KCC etc.) don't appear interested despite numerious complaints.

PS: The EPA have failed many communities around the country.Their Bord is made up of poltical appointees most of them from the likes of IBEC and even ex big oil, incinerator company execs. The are very quick to issue licenses but hardly ever withdraw them despite what often mounts to brazen and continous flouting of the terms of such licenses by the likes of A1 waste etc.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

I cant believe they are leaving the locals to have to endure that smell...it really is so disgusting.

If ever there was an argument for inciniration....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

2009-12-21 12:06:48

Recommendations on the odour from the Kerdiffstown Lanfill in the Kill/Naas area are likely to be issued today

The Environment Protection Agency is in the High Court today seeking an injunction to prevent the operators from carrying out certain activities

The EPA also wants to ensure Kerdiffstown to keep the the provisions of it's licence

Anthony Lawlor is a Cllr living in Johnstown

He says the smell is attrocious

EPA seems to be taking some notice - and it's been mentioned on KFM. Surprised it didn't come up a lot sooner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

was going to start a thread but realised one exists.
    The first time i drove onto the M7 and got this pong i thought there was something wrong with my car. It's unbelievable. I have noticed a lot of cars stopping after this exit thinking they have an issue with their cars also. Glad to see you guys trying to get to the bottom of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭ncit9933

Smell seems to have spread to Monread area today, I rang EPA to lodge a complaint and they say they have a case lodged with the high court.
    She said the more people that contact them the stronger the case. 053-9160600.
    She said the site has an indefinite license meaning it could be there for the long term...don't fancy that!!
    I specifically purchased my house in Naas, rather that kill or kilcullen for those very reasons!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭jonnner

I pass "The Ball" every day and I too thought there was something wrong with my car initially. Yesterday I was in the business park there with Woodies, Heatons etc. I could not believe people were expected to go about their lives with this disgusting stench in the air.
    I don't live in the area but I will use all the contacts listed above to make complaints, its an absolute disgrace and it will be stopped :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

I rang Neiphin/A1 today and was asked to send in a complaint in writing or email to info@a1waste.ie. Their office in Tallaght wasnt able to confirm the source of the putrid smell.

If I read the cre.ie website correctly, this dump is taking biodegradeable kitchen brown bin waste.

http://www.cre.ie/Compost%20site%20factsheets/Neiphin%20Trading,%20Naas..pdf

I've sent an email to A1 and used this link to send a complaint to the EPA;

Have many people sent a complaint form to the EPA?

If A1/Neiphin are responsible, is anyone due to renew their domestic refuse collection with A1 in Jan?

I wonder are they also taking in offal from animal slaughtering facilities ? Because, quite frankly, that's what the smell is like.

However, the contents of a few hundred brown bins with leftover domestic rotting meat might also do it I suppose.

smell seems to be getting worse today, although EPA did say something about air pressure being a factor in this weather, still doesn't take away the fact that a dump was allowed in the first place even though there are 2 other dumps within 10 miles.
    Hope people don't stop complaining to authorities once the weather changes

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Was back with a vengeance today alright. Live in Meath but the girlfriend lives in Naas and it could even be detected inside today.
    I've lived in the country all my life and I'm used to bad smells like fertiliser/manure/silage but these are tolerable. This smell actually makes me wretch at times it's that bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Atlantis26

I live in Kerdiff Close, its definately getting worse, got a smell in the house a few times lately that i never got before. Having to light scented candles to kill it.
    Living in Naas 6 months, its getting worse and spreading further up the monread road, used to just be a little area around the cemex site when we first moved but its all over now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭blackbox

I drove past Naas on the N7 on Saturday and couldn't believe that the smell is as bad as ever.

I don't know how you people that live there put up with it.

I haven't even see anything in the local papers exposing what is happening

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Kaos Theory

Moved to Naas in the last 6 months, the first time I got the smell was on the N7 passing Johnstown Garden Centre, I thought I was after catching a bird in the rad of the bike or something, couldn't believe how bad the smell was.

Agree its getting worse, usually only get it round the garden centre, but recently been able to smell it in the Monread area. :mad:

Have noted the number above and will lodge my complaint.

Kaos

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

Voltex wrote: »
    I cant believe they are leaving the locals to have to endure that smell...it really is so disgusting.

If ever there was an argument for inciniration....

And where would you park the incinerator. I can see placards being hoisted saying "no incinerator here" already !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dooglebee

The smell driving past kill on the m7 is so rancid that it fills your car with its foul odour and you have to open the windows so you don't choke to death on the way past. Those who say there is nothing you can do about it should try drive down that motor way and see if they can hold a straight face.

It is not fair on those in the area and something needs to be done about it, it need national coverage on the news or papers or something,

People in the area should hold a large protest on one of our very important roads to draw attention to the matter, the smell is like something from Bangladesh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 discovery98

This has now made the Leinster Leader -

http://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/Naas-residents-outraged-as-pungent.5978223.jp

I contacted the EPA, and they said that as well as making a complaint to the facility, you should make a formal complaint to the EPA. Also keep a diary of the intensity of the odour, any health effects etc.

There is more information and a form to download here
    http://www.epa.ie/whatwedo/enforce/report/#d.en.12434

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Looks like this is going to court

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0203/1224263658876.html
    THE ENVIRONMENTAL Protection Agency (EPA) is taking a High Court case against the operators of a landfill site in Co Kildare, claiming they are in breach of a licence granted under the Waste Management Act.

The action is due to be heard by the High Court on March 22nd, having been rescheduled at least twice. People living in the vicinity of the site at Kerdiffstown, between Naas and Sallins, have complained of “obnoxious” odours emanating from a new composting facility where brown bin materials as well as “mixed waste” and garden waste are being treated.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

Awesome :D

Hope A1 get what they deserve from this court case i.e. shutdown!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

so what happens..??

do they just get told to stop.

Or do they get punished.

If I tipped a trailer full of rubbish in the country I would be criminally prosecuted.

These lads tip 4000 ton a day in the countryside ...

I was taking to a resident near the site a few weeks back. His daughter had to move out of her home beside the tip . The smell and the endless stream of 24hr a day truck tipping was driving her nuts.

All this to line some fat cats pocket. :mad::mad:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Made the RTE news today as well. 200 complaints in 3 months. Court case to go ahead on Monday.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0208/neiphin.html

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Gregsor

Thats great news,never smelled anything as bad as that stench before and i pity the locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

Made the RTE news today as well. 200 complaints in 3 months. Court case to go ahead on Monday.

Is this being heard today, 15th Feb or has it been postponed til March?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭redalicat

Is this being heard today, 15th Feb or has it been postponed til March?

Looks like the decision on this is next Monday at 10:30a: article

EPA wins injunction over landfill

I wonder will this force the company to address the problem, or does it just mean months/years of legal action to come, with the stink festering on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭strewelpeter

It will be interesting to see how this plays out now.
    Have no doubt; all that needs to happen here to fix this is for the owners to spend the money that has to be spent to operate within the terms of their license.
    I've got a bad feeling that in the current climate they will use the ruling as an excuse to make other cost cutting measures to keep their profitability at the levels they have been getting by running illegally.

I'm not optimistic at all. The same company, A1 Waste/Dean Waste was involved in some of the illegal dumping in Wicklow. See Irish Times and Leinster Leader.

Ten years later, Whitestown has still not be cleaned up and is still in the courts.

I can't understand how they could ever be issued a waste licence again after that.

There are two seperate cases against them now in the High Court - 2009/191 MCA relates to the illegal dumping of more than 1 million tonnes at Kerdiffstown. And 2010/44 MCA is today's case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

I know the cold always makes it worse, but I thought I was going to puke as I drove by Naas this morning - VILE!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

"obnoxious" odours :), those odours are so full of themselves!
    That smell has been there since 2006 at least. I used to get that smell on the motorway driving home from work. I've noticed in the last few years from travelling up to Dublin that the smell has spread much further up the motorway towards Dub. It's rank

Advertisement