Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad smell around Naas

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Curlz24

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I would love 5 mins alone in a room with the owner.

the fecker has just made a million and spat in the faces of the Naas/Sallins residents to get it. The smell was disgusting last week.
    probably end up with a 2k fine.
    He is probably laughing his head off at us. :mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭redalicat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Disgusting what people have been allowed to get away with in this country. I was at Woodies last Sunday and the smell was pretty bad, those living near the dump have my utmost sympathy. Sad fact is it would probably take an accident before someone deals with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

The whole episode was very much a bad advertisement for the area even though the national media coverage was poor and local protest groups towed the line to such a degree that they were pretty much non-effective or even irrelevant in the scheme of things.

It exposed the lack of credibility that the EPA actually believe they have and it highlighted a very poor political set up in Naas. They huffed and they puffed, but ultimately did feck all as the stench continues and potential danger lurks in the pits behind Kerdiffstown.

If ordinary people decide to mobilize themselves against a crooked, corrupt and downright greedy outfit like the one that ran this supposed dump, then they should do it with a similar attitude to the one taken by the dump operators. What do I mean? Well go after them (and local politicians) like rabid dogs with a no holes barred/no fear policy. Get personal and nasty. The nicey nicey approach works when you have a public meeting in the local pub. It feeds egos. Pacifies would be nutjobs. Provides a platform for wannabe politicians.

But in the big bad REAL world, it just serves to provide yet another useless, self serving and pointless protest group that are polite and then politely ignorned. With respect to the Naas Clean Air outfit, they tried (and continue to fail) at being a relevant voice against this travesty. But they have no balls of fire to actually make a difference. Now this is just my opinion because from experience most protest groups in Ireland play by the rules they believe exist. Even though their adversaries play by their own demented rules.

Being nice, gets you liked, but ultimately nowhere.

(The wind is blowing the stink through my window as I type.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

My father lives not so far from the area in question (monread) and it would nearly make me sick in the stomach it was that strong when ever I was out there.

It's disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Naas was always smelly!!!

Up Newbridge:D

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Scudges Da

Scudges Da wrote: »

I dont understand completely this statement in the link
    "A1 Waste has invested in excess of €40 million in developing recovery and recycling facilities at Kerdiffstown in recent years."

more fires

http://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/Another-blaze-at-closed-Kerdiffstown.6601385.jp

Somebody in authority really needs to step in on this now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭redalicat

Leinster Leader: Residents and EPA clash over pollution risk from Kerdiffstown dump
    NAAS residents and the national environmental watchdog have clashed over the pollution risk posed by the waste facility at Kerdiffstown amid claims that the clean up bill could cost n30m. About 80 people – more than the organisers expected – who attended a public meeting organised by environmental action group Clean Air Naas (CAN) last week heard of a litany of pollution threats linked with the site.
    Anyone on this thread go to the meeting?

And this from today's Irish Times: Toxic substances escaping from Naas dump are major hazard, says report
    The report, commissioned by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and seen by The Irish Times, found levels of ammonia leaching into groundwater up to five times the maximum permitted by EU directives. This put the nearby Morrel River “at future risk of contamination”. “There is also a possibility that leachate could break out when wastes become fully saturated along the steep infill embankment forming the eastern boundary of the site and flow over land directly into the river,” the report (dated July 26th, 2010) said. Ammoniacal nitrogen levels were put at 19.9mg per litre, whereas the Irish and EU drinking water legislation specify a maximum level of 4mg per litre. A toxic pollutant often found in landfill leachate ammonia can harm humans, animals and water systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

I moved into the area last summer and there has on many occasions been a really really bad smell around Kill and Johnstown and along exit 6 – 8 of the N7 and I assume this is the Kerdiffstown dump?

It has been especially bad the last week or two and it really can’t be healthy.

Going by this thread I thought the dump had closed down and stopped burning. Anyone any updates on this?

(By the way if I should start a new thread instead of posting here let me know.)

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭lostinNaas

Weyhey wrote: »

Going by this thread I thought the dump had closed down and stopped burning. Anyone any updates on this?

You'll find updates here from time to time

http://www.kerdiffstowncleanup.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Wrong dump I'm afraid!
    There is also a landfill to the south of Kill called Arthurstown- www.arthurstown.ie. It was operated by South Dublin County Council (yes, Dublin waste going into a hole in the ground in Kildare) and is now closed. Even though it is closed, the site is still "maturing" and will continue to emit some smells for a while yet (I'm guessing that it will continue to do so for a few more years, but only some of the time and only occasionally- it is usually worse in cold, calm weather when the smell doesn't get dispersed).
    You can actually see it as a hill when you get to the Castlewarden junction on the N7 heading south- just look to your left.
    As the food and garden waste continues to rot down inside (it is capped with clay and soil) it releases methane gas. The gas is captured through pipes and is burned in a turbine to produce electricity- this will continue for a number of years and is at least making the most of a bad situation- it is reducing fossil fuel use in producing elecricity.
    I think the real lesson about Kerdiffstown, Arthurstown and all the other waste facilities is that we need to realise there are real consequences to the amount of waste we produce- it ain't pretty and it don't smell good, so we really need to reduce the amount of waste we produce in the first place- we would be better off if we didn't put as much waste into the refuse bin, the recycling bin and the compost bin- all this waste is brought to some sort of facility where it is landfilled/recycled/composted.

Each of these facilities isn't particularly nice nice to live near.

How many people in Naas really cared about what happened to their waste before their lives were plagued by bad smells, uncontrolled fires and a real risk to public health?

Just sayin', like.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

baaba maal wrote: »
    Wrong dump I'm afraid!
    There is also a landfill to the south of Kill called Arthurstown- www.arthurstown.ie. It was operated by South Dublin County Council (yes, Dublin waste going into a hole in the ground in Kildare) and is now closed. Even though it is closed, the site is still "maturing" and will continue to emit some smells for a while yet (I'm guessing that it will continue to do so for a few more years, but only some of the time and only occasionally- it is usually worse in cold, calm weather when the smell doesn't get dispersed).
    You can actually see it as a hill when you get to the Castlewarden junction on the N7 heading south- just look to your left.

As I can't get the smell closer to Naas that makes sense baaba maal, thanks. The smell it gives off just can't be healthy.
    By the way I looked at the link and I noticed you can organise a school visit to the dump - why on earth would anyone put their child through that!
    Visit Arthurstown Landfill!

For a great school day out visit Arthurstown Landfill. Lots of stuff to see and do. Includes a tour of the facility...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Weyhey wrote: »
    The smell it gives off just can't be healthy.
    By the way I looked at the link and I noticed you can organise a school visit to the dump - why on earth would anyone put their child through that!

To remind future generations of the complete and utter mess our b*stid politicians and councilors made of Kildare I guess...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

baaba maal wrote: »
    I think the real lesson about Kerdiffstown, Arthurstown and all the other waste facilities is that we need to realise there are real consequences to the amount of waste we produce- it ain't pretty and it don't smell good, so we really need to reduce the amount of waste we produce in the first place- we would be better off if we didn't put as much waste into the refuse bin, the recycling bin and the compost bin- all this waste is brought to some sort of facility where it is landfilled/recycled/composted.

Each of these facilities isn't particularly nice nice to live near.

How many people in Naas really cared about what happened to their waste before their lives were plagued by bad smells, uncontrolled fires and a real risk to public health?

Just sayin', like.

Its easy to say that but the bottom line is people are going to produce waste; you can reduce the amount but cannot completely get away from that fact. The problem is not so much the waste itself but how it is disposed of; burying it in a big hole in the ground and covering it with topsoil is just about the worst solution imaginable for disposing of waste. If proper waste management facilities were utilized then the amount of waste people produce would not be such an issue, and we would not be seeing the kind of problems we are seeing in Naas with overflowing dumps and bad smells lingering everywhere.

djimi wrote: »
    Its easy to say that but the bottom line is people are going to produce waste; you can reduce the amount but cannot completely get away from that fact. The problem is not so much the waste itself but how it is disposed of; burying it in a big hole in the ground and covering it with topsoil is just about the worst solution imaginable for disposing of waste. If proper waste management facilities were utilized then the amount of waste people produce would not be such an issue, and we would not be seeing the kind of problems we are seeing in Naas with overflowing dumps and bad smells lingering everywhere.

Oh- agreed! I was just making the additional point that although recycling facilities and cmposting facilities (where the contents of your brown bin are turned into industrial quantities of low-quality compost) aren't anywhere near as bad as a landfill, they are, nonetheless, not pleasant to live near. Odour problems from composting facilities in particular can be a problem. That is why the move in policy and legislation is towards allowing only residual landfill i.e. only the residue of waste that cannot be recycled or composted- in years to come, landfills will, in theory, be less objectionable to have to live near.
    And to the point about why on earth you would want children to go on a tour of such a facility- I think it is a really, really good idea that they see the consequences of managing waste- for most people, thinking about waste stops at throwing stuff into a wheelie bin- until we get people thinking about what happens next- we will continue to have avoidable farces like Kerdiffstown repeated. Admittedly the invitation to visit Arthurstown makes it sound like you're going to Eurodisney- but the point remains that it is a valuable part of anybody's education to learn the reality of dealing with waste. I would disagree with your suggestion that we just need to to find better ways of covering the waste (at least that is the suggestion I think you are making)- I think we need to reduce the amount of waste we produce full stop- the waste of resources, energy and so on is not sustainable in my opinion.
    Rant over :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It's also off topic for this forum. If you want to discuss waste, waste management and our impact on the environment, it should be done in the more appropriate fora.

Fair enough- just talking around the topic to shed some light on the issues (as I see them), new to boards so not sure how far discussions go before they go over the edge!:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement