Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Notes.....?

Options
  • 12-12-2009 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

Hi ,i recently made a purchase in a small clothes shop in Dublin , the purchase was a dress for 300 euro , unfortunately when i got home i realised it wasnt all that nice without the bright lights of the shop in question, on the reciept it stated "merchandise can be exchanged if goods are retuned as sold " i brought it back expecting to get my money back but was surprised when they only offered a credit note:mad::mad:

I know it doesnt say exchange for money back but it also doesnt say anything about only getting a credit note , the shop is really small so the chances of getting something in exchange for that price is highly unlikely so i am well peeved , can anyone tell me if i have rights for money back as the reciept doesnt specify goods can only be exchanged for credit note..
    ta in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Since there is nothing wrong with the item, they can give you any option they want - credit note, refund, or nothing.

You have no rights for the money back at all.

They are being good, to give you a credit note.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Far as i know you aren't entitled to a refund if you change your mind after buying something. If it didn't fit the description or was faulty then you could be but not just because you didn't like it after taking it home.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

yeah thought that .... lesson learned

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Exchange means exchange for other merchandise, if they don't use the word refund you can't expect it. Also I'd be very surprised if a small clothes shop offered goodwill refunds- they're not able to absorb refunds as a general rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

There was nothing fundamentally wrong with the dress, therefore consumer law doesn't apply here. This leaves you at the goodwill of the shop. Getting a credit note sounds reasonable as they don't even have to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I had the same situation when I bought a dress for 350 for the day after my wedding. Whilst in the shop I had my then 1 yr old and felt a little under pressure from the staff to buy something. I ended up with this dress which I brought home and realised it was a tad too much. The store didnt offer me anything but an exchange, which unfortunately I wasnt even entitled to and then even politely said, it is unlikely you'll get anything else in here in that size though as we dont carry many large sizes..... I was only a 14.....

Needless to say I kept the dress which I wore to a couple of weddings.

Advertisement