Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to begin ?

Options
  • 12-12-2009 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭

Hello guys !

Im very interested in learning how to program for my own amusement and possibly a career.
    From what ive been reading it seems Java is a good place to start...
    So ive pick up this package CBT Nuggets - SCJP

Im about 1/4 of the way through the entire series of videos and about to start OOP im finding it rather interesting so far....
    I dont know why I find a load of symbols and characters that makes something simple appear in the command prompt interesting.... but anyway...

Im 22 doing some FAS courses at the moment. Going to college is not really an option at the moment.
    I still wouldnt be to keen on going to college at 23 as a mature student either coming out in about 4 years on to work for crap money.

So... Im just looking for some guidance really.
    Yourself or anyone you know a successful programmer that has not done college ?
    Any other well know recognised certs or courses ?

Thanks for your time, gentlemen!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Joneser

I have heard of programmers getting jobs that havn't gone to college, the main thing that would help you get a job in programming is past work you have done. If you can show an employer some programs you have made which proves you know you are doing, but you could also look into getting some training and maybe some java certification, here is a site where you can find some info, good luck and keep it up, its extremely satisfying when you start making working programs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Tears in Rain

One thing someone told me was that if you were applying for a programming job and you're lacking in experience and qualifications to put down projects you've done yourself on your CV just like you would put down any previous job.

e.g.

----
    2009 - Present
    TyrantTracker - Creator
    TyrantTracker is intended to be a fully featured BitTorrent tracker written in Java that I have been working on since its inception in June 2009. Currently implemented features include...etc.
    ----

If you're still starting out as a programmer and creating a 'big' project from scratch is still a bit ahead of you consider contributing to an open-source project as you get better, employers like seeing that on a CV, it also lends credibility to your programming skills, possibly more so than a personal project where you are the only one who assesses the quality of code that goes into the project.
    I dont know why I find a load of symbols and characters that makes something simple appear in the command prompt interesting.... but anyway...

Well in that case you probably have the makings of a programmer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

Joneser wrote: »
    I have heard of programmers getting jobs that havn't gone to college, the main thing that would help you get a job in programming is past work you have done. If you can show an employer some programs you have made which proves you know you are doing, but you could also look into getting some training and maybe some java certification, here is a site where you can find some info, good luck and keep it up, its extremely satisfying when you start making working programs :)

Wheres the site ? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Joneser

lol my bad, must of deleted it in the edit somehow http://ie.sun.com/training/

Advertisement