Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Richard Dunne - Signing Of The Season?

• 12-12-2009 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭

It seems to me that MON did a great bit of business buying Richard Dunne for a few coppers. He's been immense for Villa while City can't keep a clean sheet to save their lives. Would it be fair to say that Dunne was one of the best signings of the season? Particularly when the fee is taken into account.

Probably jinxed him now!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

Lorik Cana for £5m is the signing of the season IMO, especially considering he was bought for only £1m more than we sold Whitehead for.

Cattermole for £6m has to come close too.

It's fair to say Bruce is a top quality negotiator in the transfer market.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Seillejet

I agree with you. He really has been a very astute piece of business by MON. McLeish signing of Bowyer and Bruce signing Bent I think are two other good pieces of business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Indeed. He has been sensational so far this season.

In fact, there are 3 players that moved clubs for relatively low sums during the summer than I dearly wish that Liverpool made move for, i.e. Dunne, Kranjcar and Cattermole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

In fact, there are 3 players that moved clubs for relatively low sums during the summer than I dearly wish that Liverpool made move for, i.e. Dunne, Kranjcar and Cattermole.
    With what money?
    Yes Dunne is the signing of the season. Fantastic bit of business by the Villa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Not Warnock no:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

Mark Hughes fcuked up royally when he let Dunne leave. He gets a lot of stick but the chap is a fantastic defender, I really wanted him to stay at city tbh and we could do with him now when you consider whet we have at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Is the season over already? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Seillejet

Forgot about Kranjkar for €2 million. Thought 'arry would have to have an entry in signing of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Dunne's been a great buy and I suspect Sparky is raging he sold him.

Michael Owen however has to be the signing of the season. No one has been better value for money - or in his case no money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭Rich1691

Richard Dunne has been imense for Ireland for years and after having an off season or two at Man City gets shipped out despite winning player of the year 4 times at the club. Martin O'Neill made a great call signing him and he has to be one the top central defenders in the PL at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,011 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

At 5m its deffo the signing of the season. Pascal Chiimbonda for 2.5m to Blackburn deserves an honourable mention along with Vermaelan to Arsenal, Duff to Fulham, Tuncay to Stoke and not forgetting Lee Bowyer to Birmingham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Michael Owen however has to be the signing of the season.

No, just no.

Michael Owen however has to be the signing of the season. No one has been better value for money - or in his case no money.

That has to be a joke, yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Mark Hughes fcuked up royally when he let Dunne leave. He gets a lot of stick but the chap is a fantastic defender, I really wanted him to stay at city tbh and we could do with him now when you consider whet we have at the minute.

Big time and bringing in Lescott for mega dosh. Oh dear.

No, just no.

Check out the Manchester derby and the midweek game against the German champions and remember that this guy was bought for less than a packet of crisps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,141 ✭✭✭G1032

Absolutely. Dunne has been the signing of the season. Don't know what Hughes was thinking selling him to a direct rival. Bizzare.

Check out the Manchester derby and the midweek game against the German champions and remember that this guy was bought for less than a packet of crisps.

And what about the other games he's played.........Oh wait now!

Also, if you think 'Free Transfer' means United got him for less than a packet of crisps you're sadly mistaken and slightly clueless on transfer business in football.

FFS lad, he scored a very important goal against City and the hat trick against Wolfsburg was excellent, however, it was hardly meaningful as United were already through anyway, actually if it had of been a meaningful game without United's injury crisis he'd have been nowhere near the starting 11.

Take a second to ask yourself why he very rarely starts for United and also ask yourself why he hasn't been picked by the first proper manager England have had in donkeys years since he began his tenure.

It's not exactly without reason is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Dunne is a classs player especially since he trimmed down from a size 42. He was a good signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Still too early to say at this stage, I would say Thomas Vermaelen at this stage but still too much of the season to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

I'd say Dunne, Given and Owen are the best signings so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

CCCP^ wrote: »
    I'd say Dunne, Given and Owen are the best signings so far.
    Wasnt he signed last season?

Take owen off your list and add vermaelen IMO

Great signing alright.

Man City made the facepalm of the year letting him go :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Max Power1 wrote: »

Vermaelen is crap, scoring goals doesnt make you a good defender :rolleyes:

And what about the other games he's played.........Oh wait now!

Also, if you think 'Free Transfer' means United got him for less than a packet of crisps you're sadly mistaken and slightly clueless on transfer business in football.

FFS lad, he scored a very important goal against City and the hat trick against Wolfsburg was excellent, however, it was hardly meaningful as United were already through anyway, actually if it had of been a meaningful game without United's injury crisis he'd have been nowhere near the starting 11.

Take a second to ask yourslef why he very rarely starts for United and also ask yourself why he hasn't been picked by the first proper manager England have had in donkeys years since he began his tenure.

It's not exactly without reason is it?

He has featured 21 times with 13 of those appearances being as a substitute and has contributed 7 goals.

You rubbish the Wolfsburg game but it was worth something like £700,000 or so isn't that right? His performance in that game justified any costs resulting from his wages tenfold.

He is also backed by many to make the England squad if you've followed the media the past week. All of this and he was signed for nothing. Nada.

Honestly if you disagree with him being the signing of the season that's fair enough but to rubbish him and act like he doesn't deserve to be mentioned is absolutely ridiculous.

curry-muff wrote: »

It does in fantasy football :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

curry-muff wrote: »

He has been excellent with Gallas and remember he has been only in the premiership for a few months

He is also backed by many to make the England squad if you've followed the media the past week. All of this and he was signed for nothing. Nada.

In no way, shape or form will Michael Owen play in an England team whilst Fabio Capello is in charge, mark my words.

Of course the media will campaign for him to get in, he's a Manchester United player, how could they resist, it's pathetic to be honest.

Capello plays with one big man up front, namely Heskey or Cole, so there's two places gone, one of those obviously play alongside Rooney, there's another place gone, Defoe will surely go considering he's one of the Premier Leagues top goalscorers this season, and after that, if Capello decides to bring one more frontman it has to be Darren Bent, who's playing 90 minutes and scoring goals in the Premier League, week in, week out. Then of course, there's Agbonlahor who has also been favoured ahead of Owen under Capello.

All that, on top of the fact that Capello hasn't decided to include him at all since he took the England job and hasn't been swayed by the media in any of his selections so far can only mean one thing:

Your darling Michael won't be on the plane to South Africa this summer and unfortunatley for you and the media, Capello isn't a yes man like his predecessors were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

eagle eye wrote: »
    At 5m its deffo the signing of the season. Pascal Chiimbonda for 2.5m to Blackburn deserves an honourable mention along with Vermaelan to Arsenal, Duff to Fulham, Tuncay to Stoke and not forgetting Lee Bowyer to Birmingham.
    Have you watched any matches since the season started? Tuncay hardly plays, Duff is long past his best, Chimbonda has been meh, Bowyer is on a good run of form ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

I thought Tevez was the joke of the season?

• Advertisement

In no way, shape or form will Michael Owen play in an England team whilst Fabio Capello is in charge, mark my words.

Of course the media will campaign for him to get in, he's a Manchester United player, how could they resist, it's pathetic to be honest.

Capello plays with one big man up front, namely Heskey or Cole, so there's two places gone, one of those obviously play alongside Rooney, there's another place gone, Defoe will surely go considering he's one of the Premier Leagues top goalscorers this season, and after that, if Capello decides to bring one more frontman it has to be Darren Bent, who's playing 90 minutes and scoring goals in the Premier League, week in, week out. Then of course, there's Agbonlahor who has also been favoured ahead of Owen under Capello.

Oh dear, another United conspiracy theory. They're campaigning for him because he's a United player eh? Funny I didn't see any campaigns to get Ben Foster in the squad.

Maybe there's a campaign by some because they realise he's:

a) one of England's greatest goalscorers
    b) a player for big game occasions
    c) seen as a a better option than the likes of Heskey

But of course no it must be:

d) insert anti-United theory

The way I see it Capello will take for sure Rooney, Defoe and Crouch - who you didn't mention - leaving two spots open which I imagine will go to whoever is the more consistent over the course of the season and injury-free. I would be surprised if Heskey makes it as I think Cole fulfils a similar role and is more prolific.

I think the final spot will be up for grabs with Bent, Agbonlahor and Owen going for it and at this stage I think Owen is third in the pecking order but I feel by the end of the season that could well change.
    All that, on top of the fact that Capello hasn't decided to include him at all since he took the England job and hasn't been swayed by the media in any of his selections so far can only mean one thing:

Your darling Michael won't be on the plane to South Africa this summer and unfortunatley for you and the media, Capello isn't a yes man like his predecessors were.

LOL I couldn't give a toss if he goes or not to be quite honest.

As long as he bangs them in for United he will remain my 'darling'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

I thought Tevez was the joke of the season?

2 goals today say he isn't a joke!!!!!:mad::p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Dunne has been a superb signing for Villa no doubt about it.

But the problem with City i think is not so much the fact that they sold Dunne, but it's who they replaced him with. They paid about quadruple the amount they sold Dunne for to bring in Lescott, who is average. Everton is probably his level.

Dunne has had a couple of dodgy seasons clubwise, but he's blossomed again since signing for Villa. The form he is showing now may not have materialised had he stayed at City, in fact he'd probably continue to stagnate. This suggests that the move was the best thing for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

I was wary of Dunne when he joined Villa, think he went a bit stale where he was at with lots of howlers, so i feared the worst.

Although its still early days he has done plenty to inherit the Martin Laursen shirt, him and Cueller/Collins are on their way to being the next great Villa defensive partnership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

monkey9 wrote: »
    Dunne has been a superb signing for Villa no doubt about it.

But the problem with City i think is not so much the fact that they sold Dunne, but it's who they replaced him with. They paid about quadruple the amount they sold Dunne for to bring in Lescott, who is average. Everton is probably his level.

Dunne has had a couple of dodgy seasons clubwise, but he's blossomed again since signing for Villa. The form he is showing now may not have materialised had he stayed at City, in fact he'd probably continue to stagnate. This suggests that the move was the best thing for him

I agree with you 100% there.

Was sad to see him go from the club but he wasn't doing well in recent times for city and the move has definitely invigorated him........City fans are well chuffed to see him doing well even when he scored against us!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Didn't Hughes say he wanted him to stay and then the chairman wanted to get rid of him to cut costs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Max Power1 wrote: »

Ah your right, sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Richard Dunne doesn't roll off the tongue in Beijing...

He does do an immense amount of work on a Saturday afternoon to make sure your team get the 3 points though. I would say he has been the best signing so far this season (taking the price into account).

Oh dear, another United conspiracy theory. They're campaigning for him because he's a United player eh? Funny I didn't see any campaigns to get Ben Foster in the squad.

Maybe there's a campaign by some because they realise he's:

a) one of England's greatest goalscorers
    b) a player for big game occasions
    c) seen as a a better option than the likes of Heskey

But of course no it must be:

d) insert anti-United theory

The way I see it Capello will take for sure Rooney, Defoe and Crouch - who you didn't mention - leaving two spots open which I imagine will go to whoever is the more consistent over the course of the season and injury-free. I would be surprised if Heskey makes it as I think Cole fulfils a similar role and is more prolific.

I think the final spot will be up for grabs with Bent, Agbonlahor and Owen going for it and at this stage I think Owen is third in the pecking order but I feel by the end of the season that could well change.

How is he a better option than Heskey considering Capello's system is based on playing one big target man alongside Rooney? Owen is hardly a big target man, so based on comparisions, you would have to suggest he is a better option than Rooney even you surely couldn't be bold enough to suggest such a thing?

There have been numerous campaigns to get Ben Foster in the squad, then he went and ****ed it up for himself by proving to be one of the most overrated goalkeepers in the Premier League, don't try and say there were no campaigns to get him in the squad because when James picked up his injury before the friendlies there were numerous media sources bigging Foster up.

You mention Crouch, who is a good shout to be fair, but again like Owen, he's not playing and scoring regualry enough and although I do feel Crouch is obviously fighting it out as one of the big target men with Heskey and Cole, there will only be two of those three going to South Africa, and Crouch doesn't seem to be playing enough games, his selection all depends on how Cole recovers from his injury IMO.

It's as simple as this really, Capello doesn't fancy Owen, if he did he'd have picked him to be at least part of the squad long before now. He has his mind made up and there isn't too much room for players to get into the squad at this stage with only two more games to go before he selects the World Cup squad, I can't see Owen being part of either of those games therfore playing no games under the current manager can't lead to him being selected for the World Cup squad.

I'll stick down who I actually think the squad will be, it's tough, but there will definitely be no Owen:

Goalkeepers:
    James
    Green
    Robinson/Foster

Defenders:
    A. Cole
    Terry
    Ferdinand
    Johnson
    Upson
    Lescott
    Bridge
    Warnock

Midfielders:
    Gerrard
    Lampard
    Barry
    J. Cole
    Hargreaves (If fit)/Carrick
    Milner
    Young

Strikers:

Rooney
    Heskey
    Cole
    Defoe
    Bent/Agbonlahor

There's a squad of 23 and that will be, more or less, who Capello brings to South Africa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,011 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Owen has no chance of making the England squad. Capello does not like injury prone players and Michael Owen has been one of the most prolific injury prone players over the last few years.

How is he a better option than Heskey considering Capello's system is based on playing one big target man alongside Rooney? Owen is hardly a big target man, so based on comparisions, you would have to suggest he is a better option than Rooney even you surely couldn't be bold enough to suggest such a thing?

I don't know how you're coming to this conclusion. I'm not using Capello's system as the basis for excluding Heskey. I would exclude Heskey on the grounds I think he is past it. I do think it's worthwhile having a physical presence in a squad which, as I said previously, is why I would personally take Cole as he can do this role and provide more of a goalscoring threat than Heskey. Obviously it goes without saying I do not think Owen a better option than Rooney - or indeed Defoe. I do however think he is worthy of consideration alongside Bent and Agbonlahor.
    There have been numerous campaigns to get Ben Foster in the squad, then he went and ****ed it up for himself by proving to be one of the most overrated goalkeepers in the Premier League, don't try and say there were no campaigns to get him in the squad because when James picked up his injury before the friendlies there were numerous media sources bigging Foster up.

I'm not so sure I would call that a campaign but more a reflection on England's lack of goalkeeping options at the moment.

However, earlier you said when talking of Owen "Capello hasn't decided to include him at all since he took the England job and hasn't been swayed by the media in any of his selections"

One minute you're dismissing the idea of Owen being included because Capello's not media-influenced then the next minute you're saying Foster was included based on a media campaign to influence Capello. Which is it?
    You mention Crouch, who is a good shout to be fair, but again like Owen, he's not playing and scoring regualry enough and although I do feel Crouch is obviously fighting it out as one of the big target men with Heskey and Cole, there will only be two of those three going to South Africa, and Crouch doesn't seem to be playing enough games, his selection all depends on how Cole recovers from his injury IMO.

I personally think Crouch is assured of going based on the height advantage he carries. I agree two of these three players will go. I reckon the best options here are Cole and Crouch. Watching Heskey tonight I'd be surprised if he gets the nod over a fit Carlton Cole but we'll see.
    It's as simple as this really, Capello doesn't fancy Owen, if he did he'd have picked him to be at least part of the squad long before now. He has his mind made up and there isn't too much room for players to get into the squad at this stage with only two more games to go before he selects the World Cup squad, I can't see Owen being part of either of those games therfore playing no games under the current manager can't lead to him being selected for the World Cup squad.

I'll stick down who I actually think the squad will be, it's tough, but there will definitely be no Owen...

I disagree that it's done and dusted at this stage as far as Owen's concerned. I think the odds are against him but if he consistently chips in with goals over the next few weeks he could get himself a shot.

As I said before I think it's between Owen, Bent and Agbonlahor for the final striker spot. (Assuming he takes 5)

What goes against Owen is that Bent and Agbonlahor have strong league form and are playing regularly. However, what goes FOR Owen is that neither Bent nor Agbonlahor have looked all that great when given their chance to play.

Just to say for the record, if we were to judge it on the situation of things right now I would personally NOT take Owen. However I think he IS in contention and considering where his career was last season, and considering how well he has done since arriving at Old Trafford, I think for that to be the case shows he has been an inspired signing. Plus I say that as someone who was not pleased to see him come to the club initially and who had to eat some very tasty humble pie earlier in the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Mr Nice Guy and therokerroar, you's are playing a great game of verbal tennis. Honestly, great posts, great debate
    Where's me popcorn??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Sweet Jesus if one more thread turns into a Utd v Pool debate I'm going to explode we already had the Utd Villa thread closed FFS.

So far imo yes Dunne is the signing of the season especially Value for Money.

One minute you're dismissing the idea of Owen being included because Capello's not media-influenced then the next minute you're saying Foster was included based on a media campaign to influence Capello. Which is it?

As you said ''I'm not so sure I would call that a campaign but more a reflection on England's lack of goalkeeping options at the moment', you've answered your own question there mate.

However, you make an excellent, well thought out arguement and I don't wholeheartedly disagree with anything else you say except that I honestly think Capello has his mind made up on Owen now, regardless of what happens during the rest of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Villain wrote: »
    Sweet Jesus if one more thread turns into a Utd v Pool debate I'm going to explode we already had the Utd Villa thread closed FFS.

So far imo yes Dunne is the signing of the season especially Value for Money.

Isn't this a Sunderland/United argument?:pac:

As you said ''I'm not so sure I would call that a campaign but more a reflection on England's lack of goalkeeping options at the moment', you've answered your own question there mate.

However, you make an excellent, well thought out arguement and I don't wholeheartedly disagree with anything else you say except that I honestly think Capello has his mind made up on Owen now, regardless of what happens during the rest of the season.

I have to say I think your squad choice is a fine one and would agree with the majority of your choices.

I think we'll agree Capello will have a top set of strikers whoever he picks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

I have to say I think your squad choice is a fine one and would agree with the majority of your choices.

Lovely English, and well articulated, but em........this is the signing of the season thread.

Just looking back over my squad selection, I'd have Beckham in there like, he's one of my favourite players and I stil rate him very highly, can't believe I left him out of my selection, I knew there was one :cool:

Very true with regard to the top strikers, if the draw goes to plan (which actually never happens :p) then I think it's England V Ghana in Round 2, England V ? in the Q/F, England V Brazil in the semi's and an England V Spain final.

I honestly think they can win it like, they have a proper manager now who has a decent tactical brain which is something they have been lacking at when the going got tough at past major tournaments.

DSB wrote: »
    Lovely English, and well articulated, but em........this is the signing of the season thread.

To be fair, that comment of yours has about as much relevance to the thread title as the debate between Mr. Nice Guy and myself.

Slightly hypocritical of you there like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

To be fair, that comment of yours has about as much relevance to the thread title as the debate between Mr. Nice Guy and myself.

Not really at all. Theres a pretty large difference between saying something which isn't a direct answer to the threadtitle, and conducting an entirely different discussion which would get a 20+ page thread if someone made it.

I was under the impression we had been discussing a possible contender for signing of the season too so I don't think that post of his was called for.

• Advertisement
Advertisement