Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just-Eat.ie

Options
  • 12-12-2009 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,923 ✭✭✭✭

I've used it once before without problems.. but we placed an order on JustEat.ie at roughly 6.30 this evening with a Chinese restaurant in Sligo town. When they arrived, they had no knowledge of the site.. and he demanded we pay the full amount (€22) despite paying with a Mastercard and using a discount voucher for €5 (TREATS11) to bring it down to €17.

The delivery guy arrived and had absolutely no knowledge of it, and rang the restauarant and no-one knew about the website and no-one approached them about it.

There's something a bit dodgy about the whole thing... as far as I know, someone rings the restaurant on your behalf.

Am trying to get them to refund the money to me now. Something very fishy about it all!

EDIT: Please see revised post here!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Did you use the live chat thing to talk to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,923 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Did you use the live chat thing to talk to them?
    Yeah.. they asked me my order number which I gave them 10 minutes ago.

Still waiting for a response.

I'd love to know how the website works though.. because there's something a bit "off" about how they operate.

They definitely make it seem like it's more sophisticated than it actually is....
    Your order was watched all the way by a trusted Just-Eat employee.

I don't think so.

They definitely make it seem like it's more sophisticated than it actually is....

I don't think so.
    Agreed!

They told me my account has been refunded.. and I'm trying to get them to clarify whether they mean a refund to my actual credit card or whether they mean some sort of credit to my JustEat account? If it's the latter, I'm calling my credit card company ASAP.

They're taking 10 minutes between each response on LiveChat... christ!

EDIT: Confirmed it'lll go back on my Mastercard within 3 - 5 days.. last time I use them. Shocking!

I think this is a chap in his bedroom jobby

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

A full refund ??

A full refund ??
    Well.. we probably won't get the 50c transaction fee back, but I'll get the €17 back.

They assured me it never happened before.. don't trust them though!

EDIT: No.. just asked for the transaction fee back and have been assured I'll be refunded the full amount including transaction fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

When they arrived, they had no knowledge of the site

That's strange!

Havent used the site myself. Heard them been advertised recently It's a good idea but it sounds like they are having teething problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I used it a fare bit with most of the Waterford based fast food places, never had a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Used it in Sweden a number of times without any problem. Just limited by the lack of restaurants actuaflly on it. Have also used it in a friends in Denmark without issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Used it for the first time today and they left items out of my order :rolleyes:
    The take-away wanted to deliver the missing items an hour later, got a refund instead and won't be using the site or takeaway again.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

We used it a while back to order food from an Indian on Clanbrassil Street with no problems. What was odd though was that the owner of the Indian rang us directly to confirm the order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

basquille wrote: »
    I've used it once before without problems.. but we placed an order on JustEat.ie at roughly 6.30 this evening with a Chinese restaurant in Sligo town. When they arrived, they had no knowledge of the site.. and he demanded we pay the full amount (€22) despite paying with a Mastercard and using a discount voucher for €5 (TREATS11) to bring it down to €17.

The delivery guy arrived and had absolutely no knowledge of it, and rang the restauarant and no-one knew about the website and no-one approached them about it.

There's something a bit dodgy about the whole thing... as far as I know, someone rings the restaurant on your behalf.

Am trying to get them to refund the money to me now. Something very fishy about it all!

i think iv used them didnt have a problem

I used to use them until they took the phone numbers off the website, now I just look up the menus for ideas for what to order, and ring up the place separately. The menu prices online for my local chinese are incorrect anyways, cheaper to ring up than go through the website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Neilw wrote: »
    Used it for the first time today and they left items out of my order :rolleyes:
    The take-away wanted to deliver the missing items an hour later, got a refund instead and won't be using the site or takeaway again.

Thats the take aways fault.

Use them all the time in the Netherlands, all they are is a central online ordering service for restaurants and stuff. They don't actually make any food themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

craichoe wrote: »
    Thats the take aways fault.

Use them all the time in the Netherlands, all they are is a central online ordering service for restaurants and stuff. They don't actually make any food themselves.

The take away blamed the website for the error. Either way I won't be using either of them again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Just-Eat.ie

Firstly, my sincerest apologies for anyone who has used the service recently and have experienced any issues regarding their order. I am aware of some operational issues which I am currently working very hard to rectify.

I would like to clarify a few points that will hopefully clear up any misunderstandings about our service:
    * We are not a one man band. We operate in 8 countries with over 8,000 restaurants signed to our service (http://www.just-eat.com). In Ireland we have 8 full-time members of staff and are based on O'Connell Street in Dublin
    * Every owner signs a contract with Just-Eat and the owners are fully educated about our service. However, not all owners instruct their staff properly about the system/relationship
    * We have our own patented technology called a JCT box which sits directly in restaurants. It contains a mobile SIM card which texts the box the full details of your order and contact details directly into the store when you place the order
    * Some newer restaurants are still awaiting a JCT box in-store, and in these instances our Customer Care will phone the order in on your behalf. This in theory works fine if your Customer Care department are 100% focused, and that unfortunately has not been the case. As a result some customers have suffered
    * The service is free to consumers and menu prices should exactly be the same as you receive through the door. We earn our commission for passing the order to the restaurant. In fact we deduct our commission from the card money we process on behalf of the restaurants. Some restaurant owners plead ignorance with customers to avoid paying us their commission. Also blaming Just-Eat is of course the easiest thing to do by a restaurant. However, we do make mistakes and its important we recognise it when we do.

This model has been in existence in Denmark for over 8 years and works brilliantly. We launched in Ireland in May 2008, and we are educating restaurants all the time.

The majority of our customers have a positive experience when using Just-Eat.ie, but occasionally there is a risk that we get it wrong. At present the Customer Care team has been operating from our London office, and as a result of the lack of focus we have received in Ireland, I have decided to bring our Customer Care operation locally. This will be in operation as from January.

You can see which restaurants have a box in-store by looking for the rotating arrow icon beside their logos which says 'JCT Box Connected'.

Our aim is to offer users a more convenient way to order takeaway instead of using the phone. When instances like this occur, it does put that ambition back and I personally become very frustrated.

I believe this is the way forward for ordering takeaway, and I will continue to work hard to ensure we raise the standards across the board.

I would like to thank all of the customers who use us regularly without issue, and invite those who have had issues to email me directly james@just-eat.ie where I will personally do my best to assist.

Kind regards,

James Galvin
    MD Just-Eat Ireland Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭philcsl

* The service is free to consumers and menu prices should exactly be the same as you receive through the door. We earn our commission for passing the order to the restaurant. In fact we deduct our commission from the card money we process on behalf of the restaurants.

I used JustEat.ie once about 2 months ago for a Thai take away on Clanbrassil St, they rang me straight away to confirm the order and it was delivered as normal BUT there was a €2.50 additional charge on the bill for ordering through JustEat.ie

The delivery driver told me to just ring direct in future and I would not have to pay this €2.50 charge and left a menu with me. I have used the take away twice since then and rang them directly with no additional cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

I used the site alot when I lived in rathmines with the local places around there and again now I live in dublin 15 and I have to say I have never had a single problem with the site. I've tried the other online ordering sites like feedme and metromunch back in the day and just-eat are the only ones who have never cocked up the order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

I do deliveries for a pizzeria at weekends. The Just Eat orders come in on a machine which prints off the order, payment info etc. and beeps like crazy so you can't miss it. Can't see how the place would have got and delivered your order if just eat hadn't contacted them. I'd blame the take away in question TBH. They should have taken your word for it that it was paid for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

I've never seen the point of this service. We get so many menus dropped through our door and always keep the latest one. Why introduce a middle-man?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I've used Just-Eat many times without a problem.

There seem to be quite a few numpties working in the takeaways though - for example Four Star Pizza in Fairview will not deliver to a North Strand address. They said it was 'too far away'.

The Just-Eat representative who telephoned to apologise that Four Star had rejected my order - he couldn't understand it as my address is less than a mile from Four Star's outlet.

Anyway - Four Star in Fairview's loss is going to be someone else's gain.

No problem with Just-Eat though - a good idea and anyone from Just-Eat that I have had contact with has been very professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Obviously a problem with the take away and the OP just jumping the gun.
    How did the delivery guy arrive with your order and have no idea of the website :confused:

Ive used it plenty of times and never had a problem.

Dancor wrote: »
    Obviously a problem with the take away and the OP just jumping the gun.
    How did the delivery guy arrive with your order and have no idea of the website :confused:
    I didn't jump the gun at all!

Clearly someone from JustEat rang in the order (while they were waiting for the delivery of the JCT machine).. it'd be one thing if they never mentioned it to the delivery driver, but he then rang the restaurant and talked to the person who took the call and they never even mentioned JustEat.ie. I assume they rang on behalf of me, or as me.. who knows?

It was rang it at €22 (was supposed to be €17 with a voucher) and it also left elements out of my order - one of the items indicated on the website was supposed to come with chips or fried rice (was never asked to confirm to mentioned it in the notes - this wasn't included).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Clearly someone from JustEat rang in the order (while they were waiting for the delivery of the JCT machine).. it'd be one thing if they never mentioned it to the delivery driver, but he then rang the restaurant and talked to the person who took the call and they never even mentioned JustEat.ie. I assume they rang on behalf of me, or as me.. who knows?

It was rang it at €22 (was supposed to be €17 with a voucher) and it also left elements out of my order - one of the items indicated on the website was supposed to come with chips or fried rice (was never asked to confirm to mentioned it in the notes - this wasn't included).

Maybe when ya gave your name on the card they said "Hmmmm, that's the guy from Boards, let's play with his food"

Any salty taste at all???? :P:P

scudzilla wrote: »
    Any salty taste at all???? :P:P
    Salty taste? No, don't be ridiculous!

Semen taste however..? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I use them pretty regularly & have never had an issue. One place I use gives a copy of the docket when they deliver and you'd want to be pretty thick to mess it up - it's very clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Yes you did. Out right telling people in the heading to AVOID.
    Something very fishy about it all!
    because there's something a bit "off" about how they operate.

You condemned the website before you had an explanation or resolution.
    EDIT: Confirmed it'lll go back on my Mastercard within 3 - 5 days.. last time I use them. Shocking!

I really dont see the big deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

use them the whole time, no issues.

• Advertisement

Yes you did. Out right telling people in the heading to AVOID.
    Firstly.. it was normal-case, not UPPER CASE! ;)

And I may have over-reacted on the heading.. but I did just set out to warn people.
    You condemned the website before you had an explanation or resolution.
    What explanation did they give in the long spiel above?
    "This in theory works fine if your Customer Care department are 100% focused, and that unfortunately has not been the case. As a result some customers have suffered"

Customer Care not 100% focused? It's not much of an explanation, is it?
    I really dont see the big deal.
    The big deal was:

i) that the restaurant that I ordered from didn't have a knowledge of it
    ii) I was forced to pay twice.
    iii) I've been promised my money back off JustEat.ie without problem and I'm happy with that
    iv) My order (on the receipt) was incorrect so either someone at JustEat rang it in incorrectly or the restaurant took it down incorrectly.
    v) I was just at the door while my food was getting cold waiting for all this to be sorted.
    vi) I lost my €5 discount on paying
    vii) I spent about 20 minutes on Live Chat (5 minutes each time waiting for a reply to my query).

Maybe I exaggerated a little.. but I was just warning people. Good on JustEat.ie to come in and defend their actions, but the service clearly has a few bugs that need to be ironed out. And my Saturday night suffered because of it!

Advertisement