Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shop broken seal on software

Options
  • 12-12-2009 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭

I was in PC-World this evening and purchased a console game for my younger brother (for Christmas). I brought the box to the till and the girl took the box and headed off in to a back room saying that the box I had didn't contain a disc. When she returned, she proceeded to put it through the register and I noticed the seal on the xBox360 game was broken. I brought it to her attention and she looked at me like I had 40 heads. I opened the box and checked the disc and it had a fresh fingerprint where she obviously had just put the disc in the box. She treated me like I was making a big deal out of nothing. I said that it was a gift and that I had no way of checking to see if it worked. She just said keep the receipt.

Right now I'm thinking I should go back with it and demand a replacement with an unbroken seal. Although now I'm worried that they'll just say that I opened the box and fecked up the disc myself. Again this is something I wouldn't have to worry about if I the box was still sealed.

What should I do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭sherdydan

in fairness you are making a huge deal out of nothing. a fingerprint isnt going to make the disc unreadable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

when I worked in electronics boutique we never put boxed games on the shelf as they'd be nicked in under 48hrs!

all disks were taken out with the manual and shrink wrapped together then filed in a big drawer,so yeah no big deal methinks

the fingerprint will come off with a rub of a glasses cloth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭ve

There are a good few minor scratches also. My issue is that it was bought as new, but was handed over in a "not new" condition.

Am I entitled to a replacement? If it doesn't work, is there a time limit on these things to return because it won't be checked until Christmas day

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

If you weren't happy with the packet being opened, but it somewhere else. I would assume some shops take the media out of the cases to prevent shoplifting. I wouldn't personally like to buy from a shop like that, as you could be missing manuals, maps, keycodes for downloadable content etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Phil D

But also if the product is sold with a seal you're entitled to get what you pay for. A new product! How are you to know that it hasn't been used for two weeks and returned. Why should you pay a premium price for second hand goods?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭ve

my point exactly

MarkR wrote: »
    If you weren't happy with the packet being opened, but it somewhere else. I would assume some shops take the media out of the cases to prevent shoplifting. I wouldn't personally like to buy from a shop like that, as you could be missing manuals, maps, keycodes for downloadable content etc.

in EB (now game) thats why each store had a shrink wrapping machine downstairs

going by most stores policy you've 14 days to exchange it
    as it will play in teh machine (i can almost guarantee you it will play perfectly!)
    by definition it's not faulty so your not entitled to a refund

but i'd say go back asap,and ask the manager to swap it with a sealed copy (if they still have others available) just mention it's a gift

Phil D wrote: »
    But also if the product is sold with a seal you're entitled to get what you pay for. A new product! How are you to know that it hasn't been used for two weeks and returned. Why should you pay a premium price for second hand goods?

there's the catch 22,everyone wants the option to return things for refunds weeks after the purchase is originally made,even if it's just because they changed their mind,but these same people don't want to buy anything that's been opened/used...
    are retailers meant to throw stuff out/discount it on a customers whim?

if everything is present in the box,and there's no visible sign of physical damage or use then i'd deem it merchantable

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The disc itself is worth about 8 cents, what you're paying for is a licence to use the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

The disc itself is worth about 8 cents, what you're paying for is a licence to use the game.

But the license isn't a whole lot of use without the disc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Phil D

punchdrunk wrote: »
    there's the catch 22,everyone wants the option to return things for refunds weeks after the purchase is originally made,even if it's just because they changed their mind,but these same people don't want to buy anything that's been opened/used...
    are retailers meant to throw stuff out/discount it on a customers whim?

if everything is present in the box,and there's no visible sign of physical damage or use then i'd deem it merchantable

Agreed, but that doesn't mean that someone else has to pay for the company's voluntary return policy. The law states you get your money back if it's faulty. The company could ask if it was and then say, "Sorry, no return on sealed products" or else give a credit note and mark down the price on the item and still profit from the mark up.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Chonker

If your not happy just ke it back to the store and explain to the manager. Its simply a security issue. If your not happy at the till in future just simply say so and walk away.

Im sure the girl didnt look at you with x amount of heads maybe she was just waiting to see if you were deciding if you wanted to procede with the sale after seeing a finger print?

Take it back, its not a big deal. if its the stores policy to sell opened games like that, they wont have any issues taking it back.

Good luck

And happy Xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 17,205 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I have refused to buy games and DVDs from shops that open them (for their own benefit, I might add!). If I buy something new, I expect it to be new especially when it is bought for a gift. You are paying a premium buying new in the high street, if its opened you would be better off saving a load and buy 2nd hand (excellent condition) from ebay/play/amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,205 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

And what happens when I break the disc, will the shop give me a new one considering I have paid for the licence to use the game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

Lots of shops wont take it back once its been opened which would be my concern if the person that gets the game all ready has it they wont be able to swap it for a different game once its been opened they will assume you just played it finished it and are trying to pull a fast one.

Advertisement