Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas treats?

Options
  • 12-12-2009 10:00pm

There's two neighbour's dogs I feed and was wondering since it's Christmas to get them a treat each of some sort. I've never had a dog myself and was wondering what to get them. I suppose a bone or something from the butcher? Do others do this and what do you get?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Why are you feeding the neighbours dogs? Surely that's the neighbour's job?

Or are they on holiday or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Aside from bones which my two would sell their souls for but I worry about splinters so they only get those white filled ones that they can't splinter although you can refill them. My two love cooked meat so they'll be getting any leftover ham etc.

But will also get them other stuff, some more vet bed and hoping to order a few nice new collars.

One idea would be for the neighbours dogs is to buy a kong each for them, ones to suit their sizes and fill it with turkey or fill it with dry treats or turkey flavoured treats. Tesco usually do little pudding type treats for dogs and of course the usual stockings but some contain rawhide which isn't great for dogs.

Or just a Jumbone each they do love them.

The kong idea would be good though because they can play with the toy afterwards, if they are big chewers then there's always the black kong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

Aldi have the xmas stockings for dogs coming in Thursday, they ent too bad.

The ones here love the Pedigree jumbones, if they're two smallish dogs you can get the medium pack of jumbones ya get two in that, if they're medium dogs you'd need the big jumbone you get one in each pack.

The 4 dogs here normally get a new toy & jumbone each, and some xmas doggie treats, maybe a stocking of some sort if I can be bothered getting them cos on account of 4 it generally works out wayyyy cheaper to buy a box load of diff treats!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

You didn't answer my question.

Do you have permission to feed the dogs?

If the answer is no and they're being neglected by their owner, call the ISPCA about them, if the answer is no and they're not being neglected then I suggest you stop feeding them as they're not your dogs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

OP could be feeding the neighbours dog perhaps as a favour to them if they are out working or something.

Another suggestion would be to bake them some doggy cookies, very easy.

If they are ok with rice then using rice flour if you want a quick and easy recipe for Xmas cookies I can post them on here, bit of cinnamon added for that Xmassy scent.

• Advertisement

Demonique wrote: »
    You didn't answer my question.
    When did you become a moderator?
    Do you have permission to feed the dogs?

If the answer is no and they're being neglected by their owner, call the ISPCA about them, if the answer is no and they're not being neglected then I suggest you stop feeding them as they're not your dogs

The dogs are not being neglected. I give them a few slices of ham and/or leftovers once or twice a week. <snip>

Thanks to everybody else for the advice. I might buy one jumbone each for the two dogs. Domonique will probably want me rectal searched or something for doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Guys relax please
    Demonique no need to be so demanding of people - as Guineapig had said they might have been doing it as a favour.
    Zahra Sweet Manure if you have an issue with a post just report it, don't continue an arguement.

Regarding what to get the dogs - I assume the dogs have no allergies etc? Jumbones are good for some dogs, make sure you get the right sized one for the dog and probably best to give them to the neighbours or at least let them know if you're giving them the bones as their daily food needs to be reduced if they get large treats in a day.

Advertisement