Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you access xbox live using an o2 broadband dongle and other stupid questions

• 12-12-2009 10:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭

So hubby's looking for an xbox for Christmas, but I don't know much about them (and I suspect he doesn't either...) I'm hoping to pick one up this week, but there's a few things I'm not sure of:
    -is it possible/advisable to get onto xbox live using an O2 broadband dongle? We don't have a landline, and if I have to go hooking up to eircom just for his gaming pleasure, he's getting socks instead! Would he be able to download games and stuff using this connection?
    -He loves his consoles (has a PS2, Wii and DS), but doesn't seem to be into online gaming, so would a 360 arcade with 20gb drive be enough? Is it really worth the extra €€€ for 250gbs memory if he'll probably realistically buy his games in the shops and won't be playing online much?
    -Call of Duty MW or Assassian's Creed?
    -Are there any good deals out there besides Game/Gamestop/HMV?

Sorry for the clueless questions! Apparently I'm about to make myself an xbox widow...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Xbox Martyr

I don't think it's possible to connect through one of those dongle thingies...My nephew had no luck when he had one of those from 3 Broadband....
    On another note Xtravision are also doing some deals at the moment (No,I don't work for them)...My brother.."I Mean Santa" is picking up an Xbox for his lad there....Other companies doing Broadband without phonelines-- Digiweb and UPC Chorus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Your better off not using the dongles to connect as the connection would be useless. As the poster above said, upc or digiweb.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Ornir

A plus of going for the Elite is that you can partially install games onto the hard drive. You still need the disc to run the game, but loading times are shortened (slighty), and the console is much quieter when playing a game. An average game would use up about 5-8GB of space.

Xtravision have the 120GB Elite for €249.99, or €259.99 with Assassin's Creed 2 & Halo 3 ODST, plus 2 batteries. Or you could get Modern Warfare 2 free for the €249.99.

Modern Warfare 2 is great, but the offline campaign would take about 10 hours to finish. It really opens up online, so if you can't get access to Xbox Live, it might be just worth a rental. Haven't played Assassin's Creed 2 yet, but I hear it's an improvement on the first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Ornir wrote: »
    A plus of going for the Elite is that you can partially install games onto the hard drive. You still need the disc to run the game, but loading times are shortened (slighty), and the console is much quieter when playing a game. An average game would use up about 5-8GB of space.

+1

and just to put that in monetary terms, you could end up seeing a MUCH longer lifespan of the 360 if it doesnt have to spin discs all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

Yep, its possible. I'm currently on 3 Mobile Broadband (dongle) and I've got onto xbox live. The only problem though is that online gaming is no chance really. It works but very unstable and it also depends on the game so some games will work better online (e.g.: Halo 3, Forza Motorsport 3 etc.) while some others wouldn't (fighting games generally) but some nice features of xbox live is that you can download additional stuff for games (tracks, cars, weapons, levels etc.) so the life of a game can be extended that way.

In terms of memory, the 20 GB really is unpractical now if he plans to go onto xbox live. You don't have to spend a wad of cash and get the 250 GB version as there is the Premium edition which comes with a 60GB hard drive which has a fair amount of space and then in the slight chance that he really goes for it on the downloading, he can always buy the 120 GB hard drive and just switch it with his 60 GB.

Due to the slim chance of being able to play games online, I would definitely suggest Assassin's Creed. Its solely focused on single player. The reason why Call Of Duty MW is very popular is because of the online part of it so it wouldn't really be interesting otherwise.

Here is Microsoft's guide on how to connect to xbox live through Internet Connection Sharing (commonly referred as ICS). The guide is on how to share regular Broadband between a PC and the Xbox but you can apply it in the same exact way with the dongle except the network cable connects into the PC's LAN port (also known as network port) and to the LAN port at the back of the xbox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭naughto

hi leprekaun u should try the 02 broadband dongle ia use it for xbox live and never had any problems with it.3 brodband is ****e i had it for a few days got it of my mate and could connect to live aswell but it was all over the place .i went in to a 02 shop to try the dongle for the weeks trial that they give u for free and there was a major improvement.if u do get the trial u should run a speed test cos its the upload speed and ping that u need to no to have a good connection.i had over 3.5 /4 mbs connection at 11.30 last night it was serious the later the better the conection is.

shuper sheeps have u checked out vodafones home fone and broadband package

3mbs pls free local and national calls plus line rental for 40 euro a month.i got this for my brother its a great deal,they even activeate the line for u if thers no phone there for free eircom chage 25 euro the ****ers

http://www.vodafone.ie/homebroadband/?ts=1260823541134

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

i have a o2 usb modem and it works fine for xbox live.
    would definetly recommend getting the xbox elite aswel, its only €189 in harvey norman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭pipeliner

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    Your better off not using the dongles to connect as the connection would be useless. As the poster above said, upc or digiweb.

I use a 3 dongle for xbox live and it works as well as a friend's who has proper broadband. It does take a bit of work to set it up though. You need to connect via a pc or laptop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Leprekaun wrote: »
    In terms of memory, the 20 GB really is unpractical now if he plans to go onto xbox live. You don't have to spend a wad of cash and get the 250 GB version as there is the Premium edition which comes with a 60GB hard drive which has a fair amount of space and then in the slight chance that he really goes for it on the downloading, he can always buy the 120 GB hard drive and just switch it with his 60 GB.

Don't agree with this. I think 20GB is more than enough. Have been using 20GB with my XBox since launch and never ran out of space. If I come close I just delete any old videos/ demos that I no longer use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

Depends on your budget ,no harm getting a 20gig model,he can always buy a 60gig if he needs more space.I think 20g is enough for game saves ,demos .
    With MOST PEOPLE on a 10gig broadband cap ,you can only download a small
    amount of demos,eg halo3 demo = 3gig approx.BUT xbox arcade demos are only 200meg or smaller.Harvey norman is cheap for buying 360s, but make sure its AN ELITE model,eg it has at least 20gig hardrive, the arcade model has no hardrive .I never download , if i like a game i just buy it.I just read reviews be4 i buy on 1up.com or ign.THE elite has hdmi out 4connection to hdtv,s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭supersheeps

Hey all, thanks for the replies, there's an Elite sitting under the tree now, with a bundle of games (2 halos and forza) so he'll have something to start with and can trade them if he wants!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

So hubby's looking for an xbox for Christmas, but I don't know much about them (and I suspect he doesn't either...) I'm hoping to pick one up this week, but there's a few things I'm not sure of:
    -is it possible/advisable to get onto xbox live using an O2 broadband dongle? We don't have a landline, and if I have to go hooking up to eircom just for his gaming pleasure, he's getting socks instead! Would he be able to download games and stuff using this connection?
    -He loves his consoles (has a PS2, Wii and DS), but doesn't seem to be into online gaming, so would a 360 arcade with 20gb drive be enough? Is it really worth the extra €€€ for 250gbs memory if he'll probably realistically buy his games in the shops and won't be playing online much?
    -Call of Duty MW or Assassian's Creed?
    -Are there any good deals out there besides Game/Gamestop/HMV?

Sorry for the clueless questions! Apparently I'm about to make myself an xbox widow...
    This link will help you set up your computer as a router

http://www.cnettv.com/9742-1_53-28619.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

bryaner wrote: »
    This link will help you set up your computer as a router

http://www.cnettv.com/9742-1_53-28619.html

Oh and you will be an x box widow highly addictive online

Advertisement