Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postal Query

Options
  • 12-12-2009 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

Basically Ive just moved up to a housing estate in rathmines,I want to buy some stuff from amazon and have it delivered to my house in dublin because ill need it at the end of the week. The thing is it might not fit through the letter box so I was wondering what happens to it then? Its prob a real stupid question but im just curious.thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The postman leaves a note saying no-one was at home and stating that the parcel can be collected at local post office. (May be subject to a small fee).

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

No fee. The delivery office in Rathmines is at the side of the post office, which is opposite Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Victor wrote: »
    No fee
    Some staff in my local PO charge a 'search fee' if I have to call for undelivered post!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

I've collected from Rathmines, Tallaght and Greystones and never paid a fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

In my experience, they will leave a note telling you they left the package at a neighbours house 2 streets away.

No kidding.

You are better off getting it delivered to your work address if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Some staff in my local PO charge a 'search fee' if I have to call for undelivered post!

Then they are ripping you off. Next time tell them to take a running jump.

Collected in a few depots and never paid a fee.

Be aware in certain areas that it might not be your nearest post office but the nearest depot. The note they leave will have the local of where to pick it up.

I would imagine that with a new address in the city they are unlikely to leave it in a neighbour's house. I reckon this is much more likely in the country/or in a place with settled neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

The postman leaves a note saying no-one was at home and stating that the parcel can be collected at local post office. (May be subject to a small fee).

I would query this one. You shouldn't have to pay a fee to pick up a parcel from an Post! I've picked up loads of stuff from Lucan D.O ,D 22 and D 10/20 and never been charged either!!!!

O.P: Make sure to pick it up as soon as possible as it may be sent back to sender after a few days.
    I was on holidays in the U.S once and the postman tried to deliver an item. Dropped a note in and my housemates never picked it up for me. By the time I arrived back in Ireland the item had been sent back to sender by An Post :-(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I've never been charged either for picking things up from my local parcel/sorting office.
    If I'm getting something delivered I'll get it delivered to work now as its much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

I live in rathmines,always get stuff from Amazon and so far have never managed to be in to get it from them!! :P Think its open 8am-5.45pm. No charge just have to have some ID and the note that they left!!!

Advertisement