Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamster Help Wet tail

Options
  • 12-12-2009 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Brought the hamster to the vet today with a bad dose of wet tail. I've to give him antibiotics twice a day (mixed with Ribena) Im worried if he is getting enough fluids. I dont want to stress him out too much by constantly trying to give him water. Im bringing him back to the vet for more fluids on Monday (now Saturday) would he be ok until then? Im still giving him the antibiotics twice a day. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

i have a hamster and he dosent seem to drink too often so i think he should be ok till monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Poor little hammie, if you can get a pro biotic into him like avi pro I think yogurt is ok for hammies (double check that though) so a drop of pro biotic natural yogurt may help because the antibiotics can be harsh on them.

Would avoid handling him too much if it stresses him sometimes hammies will take things from a dropper or spoon without holding them.

Keep his cage clean but don't clean out too often if he's getting stressed, every 3 days perhaps, and use a good safe disinfectant.

Did the vet give you a diorolyte (sp?) type solution to put in his water bottle if not try and get something even a multivitamin type suppliment to add to his water.

I would suggest a drop of honey which might help as a 'pick me up' but not sure if it's ok to give honey if they have the runs or are unwell might be worth asking the vet.

Not sure what else to suggest sounds like you're doing all you can, it's a matter of time now to see if he'll be ok. Fingers crossed for him.

Here's an intersting treatment might be worth looking in to or for other hammie owners to get to have in the cupboard just in casey.

http://www.amazon.com/Virbac-Dritail-1-oz/dp/B0002ASIIY%3FSubscriptionId%3D14H876SFAKFS0EHBYQ02%26tag%3Dwhitneyrl-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB0002ASIIY

Advertisement