Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Setup.exe stopped working,"

• 13-12-2009 12:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭

If this is the wrong forum I do apologise and please move it to the correct one, that said, here is my problem.

I am trying to install 'Norton Internet Secutiry 2009'. My subscription to last years edition runs out at the end of this month.

Iv installed the first disc entitled 'Norton SystemWorks, Basic Edition 12.0' but upon trying to open the setup for the second disc, I receive an error saying "Setup.exe has stopped working,".

I have downloaded the exefix for vista, 'Merged' it, tried to start the setup again.. only to receive the same error :/

Help please, and thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,015 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I have downloaded the exefix for vista, 'Merged' it, tried to start the setup again.. only to receive the same error :/

Then i have no clue what youre doing. First of all it should be the NIS2010 disc youre installing from, not 2009. i dont know what you mean by exe-fix or merging either.

The first thing you should try before removing the old version is go into the existing install and Click on Help and Support and click Get Support. This will get you to Live chat and they will figure out whats wrong and help you perform the upgrade.

Manual/DIY-instructions:

While it should install over the 2009 version without a problem, you can uninstall the existing installation and start clean to see if that helps. Use the Removal Tool to do this. Once thats run let your PC restart and try the CD installer again.

If for any reason youre getting the same error, download the independent installer here:

http://download.cnet.com/Norton-Internet-Security-2010/3000-18510_4-10592551.html

FYI: it doesnt matter what "Year" (version) your subscription is for, you are always entitled to use the latest version of norton. I've been running the 2010 Beta since it went live in August/September. Norton Utilities/systemworks though is different i think: I dont believe it ever expires, you are just always allowed to run that version (version 12)

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Cluster

QOTSA90 wrote: »
    If this is the wrong forum I do apologise and please move it to the correct one, that said, here is my problem.

I am trying to install 'Norton Internet Secutiry 2009'. My subscription to last years edition runs out at the end of this month.

Iv installed the first disc entitled 'Norton SystemWorks, Basic Edition 12.0' but upon trying to open the setup for the second disc, I receive an error saying "Setup.exe has stopped working,".

Help please, and thanks in advance.

Oh Dear

The Hell of Vista. Lots of issues with this for Vista users. Try and get your self a registry cleaner (CCcleaner) run it and see If that helps.

This lad tried this:

"right click the icon, go into the files of your software, RIGHT CLICK on Setup.exe or the execution file that is supposed to setup your software then click on RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR then you're good to go!! no need to reformat your hard drive or re-install your OS a thousand times.. right click and Run as Administrator is gonna make your life much easier on Vista!"

Cluster wrote: »
    Oh Dear

The Hell of Vista. Lots of issues with this for Vista users. Try and get your self a registry cleaner (CCcleaner) run it and see If that helps.

This lad tried this:

"right click the icon, go into the files of your software, RIGHT CLICK on Setup.exe or the execution file that is supposed to setup your software then click on RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR then you're good to go!! no need to reformat your hard drive or re-install your OS a thousand times.. right click and Run as Administrator is gonna make your life much easier on Vista!"
    Yet 2009 was built with Vista in mind, and frankly he should not be having any degree of vista compatibility issue. But if that gets him up in running: all the same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭QOTSA90

Sorry guys, I seem to have made this sound more about Norton than it actually is. I was just using Norton as an example, the fact of the matter is.. anything that ends in .exe, just won't start.. I keep getting the same error.

Ill try the CCcleaner now.

:/

Iv downloaded the CCcleaner and opened it, I now have a window that it called 'VCL Self Extracting Archive'. When I click start, the loading bar goes to half way within a few second but then I get 2 errors, the first saying "cannot open file regvissetup.exe," and the second saying "The selected file couldnt get extracted,"

What do I do now? :S

• Advertisement

I'd tell you to run hijackthis! but you wouldnt be able to run it :p

You should Restart the Computer in Safe Mode. and see if you get the same result. to trigger Safe mode: while you're computer is power up and right after the POST screen keep pressing F8 to load Window's boot options. Pick Safe Mode with Networking. Once in safe mode try running an executable.

The first thing I can think of that might cause that is if you are running two Antivirus programs (eg. Norton + AVG etc) at the same time.

Ok guys nevermind me and my computer illiterate ways. Iv uninstalled my old norton and installed the new one manually as the administrator. That allowed me to bypass the whole .exe bullsh!t.
    Next time I have problems with .exe files Im taking this heap of crap back to the shop to have its well overdue healthcheck.

Ok guys nevermind me and my computer illiterate ways. Iv uninstalled my old norton and installed the new one manually as the administrator. That allowed me to bypass the whole .exe bullsh!t.
    Next time I have problems with .exe files Im taking this heap of crap back to the shop to have its well overdue healthcheck.
    you uninstalled it with the Removal Tool above?

Good that you have it working but if you wish to we can help you to fix your PCs problems without needing to go to the shop and fork out perfectly good money. all a shop is going to do is run a battery of common tasks that you could otherwise do yourself with a little bit of guidance.

By removal tool, do you mean the CCcleaner? because if so, then no. I just let Norton do its thing and uninstall the older version itself.
    It shouldn't cost a penny to take the computer back to the shop, its due 3 healthchecks in the first 3 years of owning the system, Iv had it 2 years this month and haven't taken it for one thus far :P

By removal tool, do you mean the CCcleaner? because if so, then no. I just let Norton do its thing and uninstall the older version itself.
    It shouldn't cost a penny to take the computer back to the shop, its due 3 healthchecks in the first 3 years of owning the system, Iv had it 2 years this month and haven't taken it for one thus far :P
    well if its part of a service plan you already have then fire away.

No I assume the Norton Disc had its own removal tool on it. Its a long story. Do you have norton 2009 now?? You know you can use 2010 right.

• Advertisement

Yes I know, but she's already gone and bought this version, installed it on my sister's laptop and my dads laptop.. so I just used the last one. Thanks for your help.

Fair enough.

If ever you decide to use the latest version, run this tool and then run this installer. Only takes about 3 minutes and youre up and running. Just have serial key handy. Especially if you're running Windows 7; 2010 was built around it in mind. And uses up a little less system resources too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Is it PcWorld does these pc health checks for You?
    If it is, then save Yourself some hassle and just don't bother, PcWorld don't employ anyone with the intelligence to even empty the recycle bin, never mind do a full health check on a pc, pay peanuts, get monkeys.

True when I hear "Annual Health Check" I think of a guy clicking simple buttons, saying "Oh dear we have to defrag this" and telling you that doing so will cost you an additional 40 euro. Kinda like the guy at the Jiffy Lube that tells you you need to change your air filter because it looks dirty. FYI: its meant to look dirty - that means its doing its ****ing job you dumb monkey****er! /rant

Advertisement