Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Students Poonion Hellections

Options
  • 13-12-2009 1:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

as tallyrand would say.

about this time of year ppl start plotting about nominations.

So has anyone any news?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

UCD bum for president.

Hughs had his time...

Gary Redmond to go for yet another SU position (Campaigns I hear) (Sarcasm). Out of interest whats the record for holding all different positions on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

<rant about not caring about the su or who gets nominated for its irrelevant positions>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

Those ferrets don't come out till next semester.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sabbat10

I've herd...

President
    Paul Lynam
    Scottie Ahearn
    Donal Hanratty
    Donnacha Ó Súilleabháin

Campaigns
    No one as of yet

Education
    James Williamson

Welfare
    Madaleine Ní Ghallchobhair
    Colm Maguire
    Pat de Brún
    Deirdre Breslin

Ents
    Stephen D'Arcy
    Jonny Cosgrave

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

de brun for welfare,really?

cosgrove will get ents no problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Do people really give a shit? Even those who post as "Sabbat10". People who want to be big fish in a very small pond should fuck off to an aquarium

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Grimes wrote: »
    Do people really give a shit? Even those who post as "Sabbat10". People who want to be big fish in a very small pond should fuck off to an aquarium

FrankGrimes.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lebowskilite

Grimes Fo' President!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

If Williamson runs, I may just vote for the first time!

Did you name yourself in that list, Sabbat? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

Well if the name is anything to go by its probably gary redmond

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I'd vote for Pat for almost anything except Welfare... Tbh I'll probably still vote for him.

Can someone please remind my what the union budget is and why it gets given to these people? As far as I can see this years union has been racked with in fighting, bitching much more than usual and next years election results are already decided, just look at who the biggest leeches are.

Paul Lynam & co were spouting about being president even before last years elections. ****ing sham the entire thing. Disband the union IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

The only president I want after reading this thread is Grimes. I would follow that man to hell and back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Disband the union IMO

Run for president on that manifesto. I'd vote for you. Fuck, I'd campaign for you.

Raphael wrote: »
    Run for president on that manifesto. I'd vote for you. Fuck, I'd campaign for you.

+1

I second the nomination of Grimes under that manifesto!

It might be from trinity (shite) but this is a great article about the importance of the SU.

http://www.trinitynews.ie/index.php/opinion/editorial/333-head-to-head-students-unions

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭IndigoStarr

I just get pissed at the speculation. It's clear the only people who care are those who are going for it, or who are in that insular SU bubble.

I really don't think the average student gives a crap.

In all honesty, if Grimes runs, I'll vote for him!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Raphael wrote: »

+2. Great idea for a few cutbacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lebowskilite

Iv defended the union on here before, when I was tired, and it wasn't a well thought-out post. I'd do it again, and it'd make more sense, and be much less bitchy, but the personal crap ppl thrown at me just wouldn't be worth it.
    Grimes accused me of being a first year, which was baffling both for its insult to first years and its complete irrelevence. Also I was accused of lashing out at anyone who dares question the union, when actually I was just attempting to provide the case for defending it.
    I've nothing against ppl questioning the union, and I wouldn't be to defend such an authoritarian attitude. Questioning the Union suggests possible improvement and that's why elections are had. To just say that the Union is crap, therefore it should be disbanded, is to massively oversimplify the problem, because some of what the SU does is very useful.

However, if you want to disband the union, there are 2 ways:
    1. Call into Morgan Shelley at returningoffice@gmail.com, and he'll sort you out with signature forms, and tell you how many signatures you'll need. It'll be a constitutional amendment to delete the entire constitution, I'm guessing.

2. Run someone for President on such a ticket. Go on Grimes!

If you're going to respond, note that I won't be replying to personal attacks. Oh, and I'm in final year :cool: <--- Every final year involved in the union gets a free pair of armani sunglasses.

On the actual thread, I'm on here because I'm procrastinating from studying. Semester One isn't over! Way. Too. Early!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Wow another year, another (or same) person setting up a username for elections that will probably be won by the most bloodthirsty rather than actually competent candidates...

:cool: <--- Every final year involved in the union gets a free pair of armani sunglasses.

Probably one of your better uses of student money...

lebowskilite

Thanks for the advice but like all forms of government or organisations the only way to disband said group is to follow its own rules set up to prevent such a move. Plus If I did run and god forbid beat the cool kids to get into their club I fear my absence from events in D2 and my lack of willingness to bag a gullible ents girl might lead to a vote of no confidence in my position as not upholding the traditions of UCDSU.

But I certainly wouldnt mind the all expenses paid trip to Blessington in 2010 to get locked on SU funds.

I would never get elected, those who actually want to help never get elected. I could pull up a list of failed candidates but im not bothered.

PS: you say "accused" you of being a first year like its a bad thing. Do you find it offensive to be a first year, are you a tad elitest? :)

betafrog wrote: »
    That links proves exactly what's wrong with the Students Unions, they no longer have relevance... Norris's entire argument for the union was that it had great relevance in the 60's & 70's and produced political and social icons..

Yeah, I think he wrote his article more out of a sense of obligation rather than anything else. Didn't have much heart in it. The other guy's article hit it on the nail, the SU are utterly useless. I hear he's a bit of a hunk btw...
    my lack of willingness to bag a gullible ents girl

Ah come on, we wont make you forego all of the perks of "supreme ruler of the SU" if you get voted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I'm gonna defend the principle if no one minds.

Our SU aside the point of a students union is clear and always has been. The SU should possibly be disbanded, but only for the purpose of starting from scratch.

As for bashing the people involved, the SU is meant to be something of a political organisation, politicians are ****.

Why go Grimes for SU pres, why not Grimes for Taoiseach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

I reckon Sabbatical positions next year should be decided by a series of knife fights.
    Far fairer, more entertaining, and we're much more likely to get a competent leader, or at least one with some cool scars.

Lets see Grimes question the Student Union President/Knife fighting champion then.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

33% God wrote: »
    I reckon Sabbatical positions next year should be decided by a series of knife fights.
    Far fairer, more entertaining, and we're much more likely to get a competent leader, or at least one with some cool scars.

Lets see Grimes question the Student Union President/Knife fighting champion then.;)
    also,by that logic Jonny cosgrove will win hands down.
    in the nicest possible way;cop on kids,welcome to politics.I joined the union to make a difference[a small one but still] like most of you say you want to.When I saw how it actually works,far too corrupt considering it's only student feckin' politics.I lost faith in it as a result i've not been at union council in about 6 weeks.

So, if you want to make a difference then by all means go ahead i'll do any/everything i can to make a difference in your campaign,but don't expect much to come from it.The SU is just a springboard to the elite,in a any of it's sectors[entertainment,politics etc.]

but unless your loaded you've fat chance of even being remembered.

Apart from that they're a bunch of nice people on a personal level and your all practically mandatory members of the SU,if you don't like the way it's run,run for election,vote and do something about it FFS.Even run a RON campaign,a faceless to at least show the dissent among the population.But your a bigger fool than they are if you just sit in your laurels complaining about something you've no notion of getting involved in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 doorknob_opener

That's an interesting point Ginja Ninja, but how exactly would you, or anybody else who may know for that matter, suggest getting involved if you are not a class rep? (this is coming from a naive first year who believes the best in everything and has hopes to change things).

But your a bigger fool than they are if you just sit in your laurels complaining about something you've no notion of getting involved in.

Why would we get involved in something that we think is utterly useless? :confused:

Perfectly acceptable to complain about something that pretends to represent me. Especially when it is a defunct, wasteful, counterproductive, failed organisation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

Student Unions can be put to good use with the right people in them.

Advertisement