Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simpsons annual warning

Options
  • 13-12-2009 2:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭

For anyone who's bought the new Simpsons annual for their child be warned that the theme of the first story in it raises the question about Santa's existence. I picked it up in Hughes and Hughes and was horrified when I read it. I don't know what age it's aimed at but my 9yr old was keen to get it. I've managed so far to avoid him reading it.....I know he's having doubts but I don't want to add to them.:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭sherdydan

sure i remember reading that in bart simpsons guide to life years ago. i understood it was a bit of fun, and it didnt affect my view either which ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

In fairness, 7 - 9 is when a lot of kids figure out that there's no Santa - after all, we have reached the 'age of reason' by then and start questioning the inconstancies surrounding the big fat chap in the Coca Cola branded costume.

I remember well, around that age, listening to school friends repeat implausible explanations, given by their parents, on how he could go round the World in a single night delivering presents, and thinking "that doesn't add up". I then asked my mother who avoided the question so badly that I knew she was avoiding it. Then I knew.

So maybe it's just time that they are allowed to figure out the truth about Santa. Has to happen sooner or later.

(For God, it takes a few more years for most)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

In fairness, 7 - 9 is when a lot of kids figure out that there's no Santa - after all, we have reached the 'age of reason' by then and start questioning the inconstancies surrounding the big fat chap in the Coca Cola branded costume.

I remember well, around that age, listening to school friends repeat implausible explanations, given by their parents, on how he could go round the World in a single night delivering presents, and thinking "that doesn't add up". I then asked my mother who avoided the question so badly that I knew she was avoiding it. Then I knew.

So maybe it's just time that they are allowed to figure out the truth about Santa. Has to happen sooner or later.

(For God, it takes a few more years for most)

exactly, either that or they pretend to believe in him as long as they can get away with it! I think I got to 12! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

My eldest had the Guide to Life too, he didn't pay any heed to it as he already had copped on but my youngest would've been reading at a younger age when he had no doubts at all. I'd rather he gradually realised it himself than to find out when he was a 7yr old firm believer:(.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Jaysus, hope he didn't watch Miracle on 34th street today!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

We've just came up against another problem, kids from different cultures/beliefs telling other kids (6yr olds) in class theres no Santa. We're sticking to the if you believe, it will happen line.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

Simpsons has always been more geared towards an older audience. If they watch the shows theres an awful lot of suggestion about sex, drug taking, excessive alcohol consumption etc. etc.

Also the question is raised in one of the christmas episodes too, and after a child is around 6 or so, they are at least aware that some people dont believe in him, but their own faith may or may not be affected by this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Even if there are doubts raised you can still counter act them. I recall quite young wondering how he got all this done in a night. My mother used my travel experience and awareness of changing time zones, [first he goes to Australia and works backwards type of thing] threw in some astro physics, with a little bit of philosophy, some very good acting skills on her part and she wore me down into believing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

+1

thats the best reason (timezones) how Santa can get round the world.

I've used that on my niece - worked a treat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Johnny Giles

dlambirl wrote: »
    +1

thats the best reason (timezones) how Santa can get round the world.

I've used that on my niece - worked a treat!

Yes. it is still impossible though. The child will find out that it doesn't add up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

we had a simpsons TV Tray that had bart saying "there's only one fat man who Brings presents and his name isnt santa"

Chances are he knows, he's swinging the lead thinking that if he believes he'll get better presents. I may be wrong tho...

Advertisement