Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should Clubs be compensated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Wish Everton could get compensation for all the injuries they have had during the last year, we would be up there with City in the wealth stakes if that was the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I sincerely hope this legal action is thrown out.

to be fair, playing star studded players like vp in silly friendlies is absurd.

The dutch should play all them total football young lads they train back there and give grass roots a go and not play players vital for club sides.

but cant see this going anywhere fast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

For a man who I consider quite intelligent, this stunt seems extraordinarily silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I think it's silly.

The players and the club both know that every game a player plays, he runs the risk of being badly injured. It's part of the game
    Why can't the national team authorities turn around and sue the club when a player gets injured in the Premiership and is ruled out of international football?! Could be the difference between a team qualifying or not for the World Cup.

He is just bitter coz he doesn't have an out and out striker like he has in Van Persie and might have contemplate spending some money in January. :eek:

Edit: Friendly or not, most players feel it's an honour to play for their country and will want to. It's at the players discretion to take part or not. IMO anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I really do hope Arsenal push this all the way, Arsene is spot on imo, wasn't aware the English FA already had a compensation scheme in place.

mars bar wrote: »
    I think it's silly.

The players and the club both know that every game a player plays, he runs the risk of being badly injured. It's part of the game
    Why can't the national team authorities turn around and sue the club when a player gets injured in the Premiership and is ruled out of international football?! Could be the difference between a team qualifying or not for the World Cup.
    He is just bitter coz he doesn't have an out and out striker like he has in Van Persie and might have contemplate spending some money in January. :eek:

Edit: Friendly or not, most players feel it's an honour to play for their country and will want to. It's at the players discretion to take part or not. IMO anyway...

RVP out injured for the rest of the season could be the difference between Arsenal winning something and not.

At the very least clubs should receive financial compensation i.e. have a players wages paid for the period they are out for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Not a chance of happening. Mainly because it would cripple international football. If a country had to pay out for every injury then they'll be backrupt, unable to compete and lose most players. It's alright for the bigger national sides and federations who have money, but could you imagine if Robbie Keane was ruled out for 5-6 months whilst playing for Ireland? There'd be a massive wage bill to pay.

And his idea of FIFA or UEFA helping out smaller countries to pay is just impossible. Clutching at straws Arsene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

OPENROAD wrote: »
    RVP out injured for the rest of the season could be the difference between Arsenal winning something and not.

At the very least clubs should receive financial compensation i.e. have a players wages paid for the period they are out for.

Exactly well said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Look at how ofter Torres has been injured after coming back from Spain not only this season but last season too, could have been the difference between 2 points V stoke and 6 points

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Yeah that is true too I suppose.

Like you said, paying wages might not be too bad actually, it's a set amount of money and no messing about. But it could get so, so messy. If they go about this, they will probably look at it from the point of how long he will be out, the seriousness of the injury and then something ridiculous like "psychological trauma caused to the player" and it will become a game of lawyers and money. Agents and money is enough for me thanks.

Then there is also another angle to look at which I'm not sure how relevant or irrelevant it is: clubs can buy in players, countries can't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

while i agree with this in theory, it could potentially spell the end of international football for smaller footballing nations who aren't as wealthy as the major footballing nations.

Ivory Coast, Ghana, Serbia, Bosnia.....i would doubt there federations could afford to potentially afford to pay the wages of Vidic,Drogba,Essien,Jovetic (in a couple of years) if these players were to get injured for a couple of years, yet alone bringing variable./immeasurable things, like damaging league campaigns, into it.

the only way it could possibly work would be if all the nations involved in FIFA tournaments pooled monies together for a blanket policy that would cover players for injury...no idea if the fees for this would be feasible of even if an insurance company would be willing to accept the risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

It's one of the reasons I don't really mind Bent or Reid not playing for their respective countries.

If we were to lose Bent for any significant period of time, we'd be ****ed, there's noway any compensation which we'd get from the FA could make up for that and it seems Arsenal are suffering from losing their main goal threat in a big way.

I'm fully behind Arsenal in this attempt to gain compensation, best of luck Arsenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

Wish Everton could get compensation for all the injuries they have had during the last year, we would be up there with City in the wealth stakes if that was the case.

I'm struggling to think of even one which was caused whilst a player was on International Duty, that's the case in question regarding Arsenal and Van Persie.

They were talking about this on Off The Ball during the week, I only got the end of the discussion, they had a lawyer from England on, not sure what his angle was, did anyone hear it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

mars bar wrote: »
    Why can't the national team authorities turn around and sue the club when a player gets injured in the Premiership and is ruled out of international football?!

the club owns the registry of the player and pays that player, not the country, in theory the player is on loan from the club

this is an area i feel should have been dealt with years ago, i remember the jamie redknapp case where he got injured 3 or 4 times in a row on international duty while at liverpool

I'm struggling to think of even one which was caused whilst a player was on International Duty, that's the case in question regarding Arsenal and Van Persie.

Moyes is a Wiley auld guy, sure he could find a loop hole, thing it that the loophole might only apply to 'big' teams.:p

as for Arse, its not gonna happen, if it did there would be a barrage of claims from all mother of nations over this that and the other thing.

in pretty much the same way the henry incident was a none runner due to the precedents it would set.

so, moving on folks..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

This would be stupid if it was passed, we can't afford to pay the teachers at the moment, never mind professional footballers.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

To those saying this won't get anywhere because it would change international football - it's a legal case, it isn't up to FIFA. You probably said the Bosman ruling would never happen either.

FIFA do extremely well off the back of these players so I think there's a fair case to be made for them issuing compensation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

the burden shouldn't be placed on the associations. FIFA have more than enough funds to create some sort of insurance fund to be use for compensation in scenarios like this. It's purely money grabbing by FIFA that prevents this happening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

This is all a loada boll*x IMO. More Wenger whinging. I see he's desperately trying to claim Essien wasn't eligible to play in the 3-0 trashing Chelsea handed his boys as well. LOL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Load of bull. If a club or player doesnt want to accept the risk of international football then they can just choose not to play.

Maybe everybody should sue for everything and be compensated. If Torres trips and injures himself in Old Trafford, maybe Utd should have to pay Liverpool a few million cos it happened on their pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Stekelly wrote: »
    Load of bull. If a club or player doesnt want to accept the risk of international football then they can just choose not to play.

That's just not the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,141 ✭✭✭G1032

Arsenal are absolutely right to pursue this matter. It's not the first time they have lost van Persie to an injury sustained on international duty. The cost of buying and paying these players is enormous and its absurd that clubs are forced to release their prized assets, for free, to play some meaningless friendlies. Arsenal have been stung too many times now in instances like this and losing players like van persie is the difference between winning trophies and not.

Stekelly wrote: »

wrong. the player can choose not to play but the club must release him if he does want to play. clubs have no choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

This is stupid imo.

What the FA starting demanding clubs compensation if star players are injured etc Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard.

It's not like the Dutch FA forced RVP to play.

Arsenal are absolutely right to pursue this matter. It's not the first time they have lost van Persie to an injury sustained on international duty. The cost of buying and paying these players is enormous and its absurd that clubs are forced to release their prized assets, for free, to play some meaningless friendlies. Arsenal have been stung too many times now in instances like this and losing players like van persie is the difference between winning trophies and not.

So you wouldn't mind if he had gotten injured in a qualifier?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I think Wenger is right, If the player gets badly injured on International duty the clubs should be compensated for medical expenses and the players wages. Fifa could easily set up a fund to finance this. In the Van Persie case the Dutch Doctor misdiagnosed the problem so there is definitely a case to answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

What the national coaches are doing is like taking the car from his garage without even asking permission. They will then use the car for ten days and abandon it in a field without any petrol left in the tank. We then have to recover it, but it is broken down. Then a month later they will come to take your car again, and for good measure you're expected to be nice about it.

That's a fair summation I think.

Maybe we should have cloned RVP and given the clone to the Dutch FA to use injure? :pac:

• Advertisement

Stekelly: Players can also be banned from playing for their clubs if they refuse to play for their country. See: Makelele.

IvySlayer wrote: »

This is stupid imo.

What the FA starting demanding clubs compensation if star players are injured etc Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard.
    When the FA start paying their wages maybe they'll have a case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Um, Newcastle got £10 million for Owen getting injured playing for England. Why is this considered different?

JPA wrote: »
    Um, Newcastle got £10 million for Owen getting injured playing for England. Why is this considered different?

Shouldn't have happened.

Injuries happen. No point in crying over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

JPA wrote: »

The FA insure their players, it's voluntary afaik. There are no obligations on associations to do this from FIFA.

The other thing i think is a fact is that insurers generally only pay out for long term injuries as it's such a high risk venture. So if you're out for a year or more then it's usually easy to claim, but if it's only a few months it's on you regardless of how important those matches are and the impact of the loss of the player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭g-whizz

Will be very interesting to see if Arsenal pursue this. I really hope we do.
    Whos we?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Expect a lot more loi players getting called up if this goes through, not a hope the FAI are going to risk playing any high paid players in anything but vital games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

flahavaj wrote: »
    I see he's desperately trying to claim Essien wasn't eligible to play in the 3-0 trashing Chelsea handed his boys as well. LOL.

What's this now?

flahavaj wrote: »
    So you wouldn't mind if he had gotten injured in a qualifier?
    No. I would mind. It's just crazy that in this day and age these players get loaned out for free. It's insane. Too much money at stake now. It's not like it was 20 years ago. Players get injured on too regular a basis in international matches and the country they're representing isn't held accountable. Take a player for a week and send him back on crutches??

g-whizz wrote: »
    Whos we?

Arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,517 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

bohsman wrote: »
    Expect a lot more loi players getting called up if this goes through, not a hope the FAI are going to risk playing any high paid players in anything but vital games.

I'm fairly sure that the FAI already has the same scheme as the English FA - i.e. they pay players wages if injured on international duty.

• Advertisement
Advertisement