Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

360 + UPC Cisco EPC2425 Modem/Router

• 13-12-2009 2:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭

So I picked up a 360 earlier on and have been happily playing it since. However, there is one problem - I can't connect to Xbox live as the connection test keeps failing on the DNS test no matter what I try. I have tried the solutions mentioned in this article as well as this to no avail. I have verified that the cable & port on the router are working fine if I connect another device using them. The console is obtaining an IP from my router, auto detecting UPC's DNS servers and I can connect to my PC for media sharing; so I am reaching the LAN side of the router and other internal devices. I have forwarded the required ports and verified that they have been forwarded correctly but it still won't fecking connect:mad:

Does anyone happen to have any experience with the EPC2425 & the 360 by any chance?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Mines working fine... I aint changed any of the settings on mine since I got it(the router that is) Make sure NAT is enabled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

when i used the Cisco 2425 router it worked fine, and only failed the dns once, but i rebooted the router and xbox together and it worked after that.

however, i was never able to get streaming working. the pc would see the 360, but couldnt connect. nothing on the other end. i also used multiple streaming programs, including tversity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭Shred

I dunno, no matter what I do this fúcking thing will not connect to the web and it's really píssing me off. Sigh.

I got this sorted so I'm posting this more for reference for others who might have similar problems. I had MAC filtering enabled on the router and hadn't added the 360's MAC, big huge D'OH!!! I had been looking at specifically this on Saturday but it was late and perhaps I wasn't thinking too straight as it appeared at the time that the MAC was listed. Thinking about it, it was most likely listed under the 'LAN IP Address Management' and not 'MAC Address Filtering', lobbed it in there this evening and it connected straight away.
    As usual it ends up being something stupidly simple but there you go. In retrospect I suppose the best advice might be to backup your router config and then re-set it to defaults if you have a similar issue; just set it up with the most basic usable config and test the connection (which I thought I had done manually but re-set to defaults in retrospect would have been the better/safer option).

Also, ICS worked a treat for me in the meantime - see here for a nice simple guide (in particular the post from 'IGuest' at 4.41pm).

Now, back to getting my ass handed to me in MW2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Cheers for posting that!

I had no experience of NTL and got it installed with the router in question on Friday, ive never had to connect through the ethernet so ive been playing on the wireless with no issue at all, I havent yet had to tinker with NAT settings a la Eircom/BT, but at least I know if I am having trouble with ethernet its the MAC thingy!

Thanks again....

• Advertisement

No problem, but you probably won't have an issue - I set up the MAC filtering myself ages ago! This won't be configured on your router by default.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭SIBERIA

((BUMP))

Ive been having some problems trying to set up XBL in a friends house. He has the same router, UPC and all that mumbo jumbo. The obvious problem seems to be port forwarding since the xbox is not finding ANY network whatsoever. But, how the fook do you access the routers configuration setting, it keeps asking for a username and password.

Where would you find this info, any router ive fiddled just let me straight into config without passwords and such.

Give us a dig out, wonderful, techy, smart people. *smiles*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

You should leave them blank if they have not been filled out already, the installers usually leave them blank. If they used a password and username it's in the sticker inside the UPC bb manual that was with the installation package.

I don't know how you are having problems, I have the UPC Cisco settup. My 360 just picked it up no problem and of I went. I never had to mess about with any router settings.

My user name is my SSID and my password is my WPA code, they should also be printed on the underside of the router.

I know... thats what i expected didn't think it was going to be so much hassle.

He bought a brand new wireless adapter for the xbox, plugged it in turned it on and nothing. He has a two PS3 aswell (bedroom and sitting room) they just pick it up straight away. They even pick up a couple of neighbours networks. Not the xbox though. You click test connection and it scans for three second and give me the big bad (sad) red x.

Then i pull a stupid face and scratch my head.

I tried resetting the router and turning everything off and on, still no joy.

Almost forgot i did try the (example) "UPC1535388" number code and the network password, again that did not work. I tried just pressing enter before entering anything same thing NOTHING?

Im lost im network nothingness.

• Advertisement

As far as I know you don't enter the UPC part of the SSID, just the 6 digits. If that still does not work, there is a master reset pin hole button for the default factory settings. I wouldn't really recommend doing that unless you have everything in front of you to set the network back up. Just incase, it could be fine and everything will work ok and you will set if back up in 10mins no problem. But murphy's law and all that.

Another thing, you say the PS3 will pick up other networks, the 360 should pick these up aswell or at least some of them. From my experience the PS3 wireless detection range is better than the 360's one. If the 360 is not detecting anything at all wireless then there could be a problem. I had that before with my 360, it just would not detect anything and the light on the back stayed red and would not turn green. After about an hour of plugging things in and out it just worked. The 360 wireless adapter can be a bit ropey the odd time for me, about 2 or 3 times over the past few years it just plain refuses to work. I know yours is new and all but still.

I was thing about the factory reset but, it not my house i didn't want to f-up the whole network on him, i wouldn't be the brightest having to setting all that back up again!

I'll give the 6 digit SSID a go tomorrow if no joy i may as well give upc a ring, see what they know, the first time i set my own xbox up i had something of a similar experience eircom that time. The port forward turned out to be the problem. After i sorted that it's been running fine since 2006!

the light on the back stayed red

This flashes green, as if where trying to find a network. Yeah i found that a few time with the adopter working one minute and not the next pain in the ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

SIBERIA wrote: »
    This flashes green, as if where trying to find a network. Yeah i found that a few time with the adopter working one minute and not the next pain in the ring.
    sounds to me like its the adapter. if you have an xbox borrow the adapter and test it on your own xbox and on your own network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Gardublin

ok this router is doin my fkin head right in it worked at first didnt save the network sorry i didnt now when i enter the ssid and password now it says it doesnt match even when i reset the modem and tried changing the password when connected directly via ehternet cable still no joy the last thing i wanna do is ring them shower of a holes at nthell any advice would be much appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Gardublin

Shred wrote: »
    I got this sorted so I'm posting this more for reference for others who might have similar problems. I had MAC filtering enabled on the router and hadn't added the 360's MAC, big huge D'OH!!! I had been looking at specifically this on Saturday but it was late and perhaps I wasn't thinking too straight as it appeared at the time that the MAC was listed. Thinking about it, it was most likely listed under the 'LAN IP Address Management' and not 'MAC Address Filtering', lobbed it in there this evening and it connected straight away.
    As usual it ends up being something stupidly simple but there you go. In retrospect I suppose the best advice might be to backup your router config and then re-set it to defaults if you have a similar issue; just set it up with the most basic usable config and test the connection (which I thought I had done manually but re-set to defaults in retrospect would have been the better/safer option).

Also, ICS worked a treat for me in the meantime - see here for a nice simple guide (in particular the post from 'IGuest' at 4.41pm).

Now, back to getting my ass handed to me in MW2.

lmao nice ending

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hi all,

I'm an unhappy 3mb Eircom customer switching over to the 20mb UPC service. I had a load of grief figuring out how to configure the Eircom Netopia router to facilitate xBox Live for my kids and don't want a load of similar hassle when I switch over to UPC.

UPC are sending me a Scientific Atlanta (EPC2203) cable modem. Any issues with that? If anyone here can give me a few pointers on setting it up for xBox it'd be much appreciated.

Ben

Advertisement