Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for advice on buying a swellie

Options
  • 13-12-2009 3:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

Last summer I didn't make it out much when there were suitable beginner ish waves and ended up spending most of it swimming and fishing.

Iv been unable to find a price on a swelly anywhere on-line can anyone point me in the right direction of a second hand or new one as getting up on a short board i borrowed hasn't been great.

Im also thinking it would be handy to have it for days when its not fantastic.

also any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

If it the Swell Board you are looking for, contact the surf schools see if they have some secondhand ones for sale... they certainly aren't cheap.

If its just a regular foamy you are looking for there are loads of places that sell em. Depending on size you are looking for you'll prob pick up an 8ft for under 200 euro.

I know Oceanlife in Clare sold an 8ft one for about 150, but the quality is no where near as good as the swell boards.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Last summer I didn't make it out much when there were suitable beginner ish waves and ended up spending most of it swimming and fishing.

Iv been unable to find a price on a swelly anywhere on-line can anyone point me in the right direction of a second hand or new one as getting up on a short board i borrowed hasn't been great.

Im also thinking it would be handy to have it for days when its not fantastic.

also any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    The swell boards are only good for the early stage of learning on after that you'll need a better board - why not bite the bullet and get a beginners board like a bic 7'9.... which would be easier than your friends short board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

First off thanks for the advice.

So general consensus is get a real board you Nancy.:D

I only get out on weekends if it was in budget and i find a second hand swell board would it be worth having a swell board just to get out in the water when i cant travel too far or the waves arnt playing ball?

Falling off a surfboard and swimming tends to let me blow off steam at weekends otherwise i just stay in bad form even surfing swell would keep me happy.

If the consensus is buy a real board and you can still do that then fair enough.

Once again thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I only get out on weekends if it was in budget and i find a second hand swell board would it be worth having a swell board just to get out in the water when i cant travel too far or the waves arnt playing ball?

Falling off a surfboard and swimming tends to let me blow off steam at weekends otherwise i just stay in bad form even surfing swell would keep me happy.

If the consensus is buy a real board and you can still do that then fair enough.

It'd be a wast of money and they aren't cheap - surf schools use them to earn money so swell charger lots for them - buy snorkeling gear for the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 premiercounty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Cprh

Only reason surf school use foamies is because of their insurance. ISA make sure of this. Beginner surfers with hardboards in close proximity would mean injury and claims. So they need to use softboards.

You don't, and to be honest, a foamy is the worst possible board to learn on anyway.

IMO, a fibreglass or epoxy minimal about 2 foot longer than yourself is what you need. Forget all these plastic boards like BIC etc- they are ****e and will restrict your room to improve.

I think Cillian in Turf n surf Bundoran was doing cheap epoxy mals with leash etc etc, or have a look on www.irishsurfer.com in the classifieds section under longboards.

You want : a mini mal, fibreglass or epoxy, about 8 ft, not plastic, not foam.

Advertisement