Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turn a Hire Purchase car over to bank?

Options
  • 13-12-2009 3:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I have, some time ago, bought a car, financing it with a Hire Purchase. The agreement says I can turn the car over to the bank without owing anything, provided I have already paid 50% of the "hire purchase price". I have paid these.

Question: what wil l happen if I actually try and use that right? Will I never get any credit again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Well it wont be an ideal thing to have on your credit report it will show that you have ended the agreement early.
    When the underwriters view and future application you make for credit they will see this.
    It will also stay there for up to 6years.

In fairness its better to return the car then have missed payments and if you cant afford it, returning it may look better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

I was talking to a guy from IP Finance the other day who said a lot of people are doing this - they have never seen so many avail of this option and reckon financial intermediaries are advising people of this right and encouraging it..

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭MichaelR

Jet Black wrote: »
    Well it wont be an ideal thing to have on your credit report it will show that you have ended the agreement early.
    When the underwriters view and future application you make for credit they will see this.
    It will also stay there for up to 6years.

In fairness its better to return the car then have missed payments and if you cant afford it, returning it may look better.

I can afford the payments. But the car is not worth what I owe for it - I'm "in negative equity" on it; and I am considering changing this car. So, turning over to the bank is a better option (purely in money) than selling/trading in.

However, if I turn the car over and then can not get credit for the other one anywhere in Ireland, and lose my credit cards too, this is probably not a good idea...

I'll probably go to the bank and ask. They won't punish me just for asking.

Advertisement