Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help with tv licence ?

Options
  • 13-12-2009 4:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Ok just moved to new rented house and recieved a letter regarding tv licence.
    Any way I have no t.v. just a p.c. but its hooked up to a 32" lcd in my last house i got a call from the inspector asked him in showed him the set up and in around about way he says

" there a sky dish on the roof that is still wired into the house so I could prosecute you now for not having a licence but I will give you a month to get one , when it comes to your computer its a gray area but with the dish outside your screwed anyway"

In my new house I have the same computer setup and a sky dish and cables outside so i went out pulled the cables out of the wall and cut them so they dont enter the house and when the weather picks up I am gonna get the dish down too.

My question is do i need a tv licence ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

In the FAQ on the RTE site.

Do I need a TV licence?
    Every household, business or institution that has a television set (within the meaning of the Broadcasting Act 2009) must by law be in possession of a current TV licence.

Basically, anything capable of receiving a tv signal requires a TV licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

If it's a 32" LCD *monitor*, and you've no other equipment capable of decoding a TV signal, you don't need a licence.
    If its a 32" TV, you do.

At least that's my recolection from the last time we had this discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

You needn't have removed the cables, and there's no need to remove the unused dish. If you have no television set then you don't need a licence.

Does your computer have a tv tuner built in? If not, then you don't need a tv licence for it. You can watch tv programmes on the internet without a tv licence.

If the 32'' LCD is only a monitor and is not a TV set, then you don't need a licence for it.

You can have unused arials or dishes on your roof. You are not obliged to remove them. As long has you have no television set in the premises, then you don't need a licence.

Advertisement