Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SNES what games to buy?

Options
  • 13-12-2009 7:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭

hi im gonna buy a snes after all these years lol just finding it hard to think of the games i loved so well! so all the marios of course, looney toons, addams family, buster busts loose, alladin, cool spot etc any advice? also any idea where is best valu for games? and console? or anyone out there have an unwanted one with games for sale?

thanks for any help you can give!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,302 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

you cant get MArio RPG for PAL so whats the point. Throw it out the window; buy a wii; get mario rpg in the wiiware shop.

But you could also get zelda and starfox for a start

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

And you didnt even mention Mario World...SHAME!!

Kiith wrote: »
    And you didnt even mention Mario World...SHAME!!
    Mario World is a given staple of any SNES. But Mario RPG is often overlooked and it is also clearly the stuff of legend. I was never sure why they didnt make more copies (SA-1 Chips and North American demand for the game probably), but its an expensive item on the resale market: you can still expect to pay $50 for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Overheal wrote: »
    Mario World is a given staple of any SNES. But Mario RPG is often overlooked and it is also clearly the stuff of legend. I was never sure why they didnt make more copies (SA-1 Chips and North American demand for the game probably), but its an expensive item on the resale market: you can still expect to pay $50 for it.
    mario rpg???? never heard about that game and 50 euros?? woah! will the games emulate to wii same quality as the snes?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mario RPG didn't have many copies produced because it was made well into the PS1/Saturn era and there weren't many people with a SNES.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

I don't know if they didn't make that many copies due to not enough people having a SNES, probably felt that if they at that stage, with the Saturn and Playstation out, they wouldn't sell a huge amount, so they did a limited run. I'd say alot of people still had a SNES but it's like nowadays: alot of us still have a PS2 but we're more likely to get a game for the 360 or PS3 now.

You should think about getting Super Mario Bros All-Star's, Donkey Kong Country, Super Aleste, Zombies Ate My Neighbours, Batman Returns and Tiny Toon's: Buster Bust's Loose.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I kind of have to recommend against the donkey kong country games. They have aged pretty badly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

retr0, dude... 2 posts and you havent said Super Metroid? the king of games.

secret of mana
    aladdin
    megaman x
    cybernator
    super r-type
    crono trigger
    zombies ate my neighbours

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Castlevania 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Even the godlike Retr0 has his off days:(

I personally really enjoyed DKC when it first came out on the VC... Worth picking up if you can get it cheap imo.

A SNES collection is naked without Super Metroid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Killer Instinct, International Superstar Soccer Deluxe and NBA Hangtime! Quality!

To add to the games already mentioned:

Terranigma
    Illusion of Gaia
    Actraiser
    Soulblazer
    Final Fantasy VI
    Contra 3/ super probotector
    Pop n' twinbee: Rainbow Bell Adventures
    Sparkster
    Starwing
    R-Type 3 (super R-type is ****, they ruined it by taking out the mid level checkpoints and making it the most frustrating game ever)
    Yoshi's Island
    Pilotwings
    F-zero
    Super Punchout
    Demons Crest (****ing brilliant game!)
    Mickey's magical quest
    Super Ghouls n' Ghosts
    Super Star Wars games
    The Firemen
    EVO
    Equinox
    Solstice
    Super Aleste
    Axelay
    UN Squadron
    Castlevania Dracula X
    Lufia 1 and 2 (especially lufia2)
    Shadowrun
    Ogre Battle
    Tetris Attack

Thats not including any japanese games. Of them I'd recommend Majyuuou for some excellent castlevania style gameplay and Shin Megami Tensei 1 and 2 (there's english patches) for RPGs.

am i better off getting a wii and emulating the games or picking up a snes?

i remember an addams family game that was pure quality too!:)

anyone have a snes for sale?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

there is a third option that i would recommend..

mario rpg???? never heard about that game and 50 euros?? woah! will the games emulate to wii same quality as the snes?
    It runs great on Wii. Im just nostalgic for the cartridge. But that would be $50 plus the converter cartridge to get it running on a PAL box and I dont know how much those run - why bother? Like I said, get the Wiiware version, its 800 points (8 euro?).

Nintendo has of course been very careful about perfectly emulating its own games on wiiware you dont have to worry about that. Cartridge collections though, cant be beat :)

Because of the extra chip and the fact it's a late snes game with better copy protection the game more than likely won't run with a converter. I've heard that like Earthbound the game increases the difficulty to unplayable levels if there's an copy protection problems.

Grimebox wrote: »
    there is a third option that i would recommend..
    3rd option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

3rd option?

Being a dirty warez monkey and not paying for the games at all

tman wrote: »
    Being a dirty warez monkey and not paying for the games at all
    Some games just do not emulate well, especially cartridge games, largely in part to the often unique and assorted chipsets embedded in the cartridges themselves. That, and its hard to play as bowser on a keyboard when you need to rotate the keypad so bloody much. Biggest problems with emulation are usually sound related but often you get problems where textures and sprites dont show up properly either. And again, Nostalgia. I like having the cartridges around. they remind me of simpler times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Overheal wrote: »
    Some games just do not emulate well, especially cartridge games, largely in part to the often unique and assorted chipsets embedded in the cartridges themselves. That, and its hard to play as bowser on a keyboard when you need to rotate the keypad so bloody much. Biggest problems with emulation are usually sound related but often you get problems where textures and sprites dont show up properly either. And again, Nostalgia. I like having the cartridges around. they remind me of simpler times.

If you have a PS3 or Xbox controller you can download drivers that allow them to be used on the PC. You can then configure the emulator to use the controller.

You're right about playing those games on a keyboard though it is fairly awkward.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

Nintendo/Sega etc. should release the games for pc as a pack you pay for, charge maybe €100 for a SNES and as many games as they can licence still, I know some things are gone forever like anything acclaim published.

Great way to make money from the older consoles, they could do it with loads of the consoles, and I'm sure people would be happy to buy it if they came with an easy setup and a pair (or 4) usb versions of the controller.

I'd definitely pay for that.

Or they could even do it with a version of the console you could hook up to the tv.

I miss my snes :(

And my psone... just started trying to get back all the games I had robbed from me about 4/5 years ago. Double :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

If I just got a Snes and had no games and wanted something to occupy the next couple of weeks, I'd look for Super Mario Allstars, the version that includes Super Mario World as well, that was one of the greatest cartridges ever made, pure gaming goodness, the gaming equivalent of a fine island malt scotch, hmmm, lovely...

cant wait to get one now i used to love my snes its a shame i got rid of it all those years ago!

wheres the best place to find one in decent nick?

How could I forget to say that Earthbound is one of the best and original RPGs ever made!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,990 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Super R Type is a great game. High difficulty does not make a game ****e.

You just need to practice more ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I seem to recall fond memories of Another world and Flashback on the snes, if you're into adventure games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I don't think Battletoads has been mentioned. The combat in that game never gets boring.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Super R Type is a great game. High difficulty does not make a game ****e.

You just need to practice more ;)

I'm sorry but Super R-type can go **** itself. I'm pretty damn good at R-type games and have beaten them all except the first two but Super R-type turns R-type 2, one of the toughest games ever, and turns it into an awful experience since the mid level checkpoints are gone if you die on the boss it's 15 minutes of stupidly hard gameplay just to get back to that position.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,990 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm sorry but Super R-type can go **** itself. I'm pretty damn good at R-type games and have beaten them all except the first two but Super R-type turns R-type 2, one of the toughest games ever, and turns it into an awful experience since the mid level checkpoints are gone if you die on the boss it's 15 minutes of stupidly hard gameplay just to get back to that position.

Just makes it all that more rewarding when you finish it though, doesn't it? :P

Nah, I know what you mean. It makes the game an absolute bitch to get anywhere. Still, doesn't make it a bad game. Just a game with a broken mid level checkpoint system.

To the OP - Just remember that if you are buying Snes carts, all the ones with save features will need a new battery put in. Even if there's still some power left in the one in it, I'd still replace it to be safe. It's easy enough to do.

I recently lost a 4 hour Super Metroid save to this. Pain in the hole.

Would still never trade it for the Virtual console/emulation though. Give me original carts any day.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

o1s1n, retr0 is a n00b. this has been accepted and established. also, 4 hours? sure you aren't coming down with a case of n00bitis yourself? (56 minutes is my best time fyi, 2 hours 58 mins with 100%... if you're asking :cool: )

Advertisement