Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

yet another crash

Options
  • 13-12-2009 8:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

R.I.P to that woman who died near oranmore yesterday morning.for god sake will people think twice before switching on the engine.leave enough time,enough space between each other, and don't take any risks.i might sound like i know it all.far from it.I was traveling along the N6 towards Dublin yesterday and the amount of reckless driving was scary.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I agree, the amount of risks people take on the roads is unreal. Seen those cars yesterday morning, horrible thing to see. RIP

friend of mine was killed last sunday night in crash was on the way down for the funeral on wednesday and was ridiculous the way some people drive.

some people just think they are fantastic drivers and then go on to cause an accident. will never learn. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

Guys, I drive for a living and I can tell you that the amount of ridiculous driving is just frightening. There are times I wish I had someone in the passenger seat to take photographs because then I'd be able to document it. Crazy stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭biffoman

there was a lad in an english reg porshe driving like he was on a race track.HE OVERTOOK A CAR THAT WAS OVERTAKING ANOTHER CAR ON A BEND.What a knob.if i had a camera then i would of made a stop at the nearest gards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

biffoman wrote: »
    there was a lad in an english reg porshe driving like he was on a race track.HE OVERTOOK A CAR THAT WAS OVERTAKING ANOTHER CAR ON A BEND.What a knob.if i had a camera then i would of made a stop at the nearest gards.

Why did you not pull in, call Trafficwatch or the local garda and report it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

snubbleste wrote: »

I hate the way you worded this question. Remember who is in the wrong here, ok.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

m83 wrote: »
    I hate the way you worded this question. Remember who is in the wrong here, ok.

I thought I worded my contribution spectacularly
    Biffoman stated if he had a camera he'd stop at the next garda station, there is no need for a camera, a phone call will suffice as the Garda take road safety seriously and will follow up on complaints.

just to let you know i pulled up and rang loughrea garda but ran out of credit half way through the conversation.i suppose i should have mentioned this before but i was highlighting bad driving.also i had my girlfriends ma in the car with me whos nervous most of the time but when she saw the way some people rally on the road she became a bit uneasy.I was glad to get to where i was going safely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭VanhireBoys

Nearly got wiped out myself this morning at about 7am .. Black ice everwhere so I was just taking it easy when a blue Fiesta driver coming the other way lost control and crossed into my path ending up in a clearing on the left hand side.....! Just missed me by mm's ...

No damage done but Id say he had to change his trousers after....! I got a laugh anyway...!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

Nearly got wiped out myself this morning at about 7am .. Black ice everwhere so I was just taking it easy when a blue Fiesta driver coming the other way lost control and crossed into my path ending up in a clearing on the left hand side.....! Just missed me by mm's ...

No damage done but Id say he had to change his trousers after....! I got a laugh anyway...!
    if he or (was it you who ended up in the clearing) didnt have the clearing to go where would ye be now,,your were the safe one going slow but the twit who knew it all nearly killed two people .,ive seen some near misses when im out getting my family to school or to work. my hubbie is a lorry driver ,he could wright a book of stupid drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

Galway seem to be getting worse in recent times...

Stop blaming the roads and start blaming yourselves. Truth hurts. And before you start condemning my statement, I'm a driver too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

fend wrote: »
    Truth hurts. And before you start condemning my statement, I'm a driver too.

We had one silly bitch in this very forum early this week who was quite happy to sit in the fast lane on a motorway doing 40mph with the inside lane empty and....like all silly bitches...... she thought she was entitled to.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    We had one silly bitch in this very forum early this week who was quite happy to sit in the fast lane on a motorway doing 40mph with the inside lane empty and....like all silly bitches...... she thought she was entitled to.

More often than not, drivers don't know the rules of the road. There should be some sort of theory test to be taken every 10 years to refresh drivers' mind.
    People can blame the roads all they want, at the end of the day, its driver error that causes crashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

i came in to the galway forum for advice on driving from galway to westport and seen this! but can i ask, is the headford road to westport a decent road or accident prone?

A looonnngggg journey... There are two ways to get there... Via Oughterard/Maam/Leenane/Westport or via Headford/Cross/Ballinrobe/Partry/Westport Both are reasonable good roads and have all been resurfaced.

You just need to decide if you want to take the scenic route or the boring route :P

df1985 wrote: »
    i came in to the galway forum for advice on driving from galway to westport and seen this! but can i ask, is the headford road to westport a decent road or accident prone?
    from any direction to westport roads are crap. even worse to nite its icey and foggy. go easey dont want to hear the news of another person getting killed on way to westport.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

some of these people when stopped by the gardai have shocking grievences when questioned on their driving and have no problem ringing Joe Duffy or Pat Kenny who love to run with with a story as them being the victim, its a complete change of attitude that is needed, people complain about driving every day but few are prepared to follow up on it and report it or make a statement, the usual "I was doing 35 in a 30". I know of one womans mother who called to a local garda station about her daughter getting a ticket for the above only to be told by the garda to go home and ask her daughter to see the ticket which would read 75 in a 30, the public want law enforcement but not when it comes to them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,894 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I saw a woman get rear ended on Friday at Carrowmoneash roundabout. She had to be taken to hospital with a neck brace on. What are they doing over there?! It's scary, scary stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

mars bar wrote: »
    I saw a woman get rear ended on Friday at Carrowmoneash roundabout. She had to be taken to hospital with a neck brace on. What are they doing over there?! It's scary, scary stuff.

Was she in a car at the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Another tragic death on these roads - it's just so sad, and so unnecessary. RIP.

On the 'crappy driver topic':
    Driving last night from Abbeyknockmoy to Galway - icy roads, thick fog - and still people out with broken headlights, no tailllights, driving too close - and the worst one, a little sh*tty boyracer, sitting practically in my boot all the way up - ON THE PHONE!

What is it with people and tailgating? And speeding? And generally not being able to adapt their driving to the conditions of the road (this goes both ways - on the way out, i was stuck behind some fuddy0duddy doing 40 km/h on the Tuam Road, clear driving conditions, not a bother - and he wouldnt pull in to let the long line of traffic pass - just as dangerous, as this behaviour causes other people to drive irrationally)?

Do they think they are all immune and immortal? Does a souped up car make you somehow indestructible? Does feeling insecure in the car give you the right to block everyone for miles on end?

Will we ever get proper driving education in this country, retrospectively for everyone? The standards here are sh*te.

/rant over

big b wrote: »
    Was she in a car at the time?

Yes, yes she was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

I thought I worded my contribution spectacularly
    Biffoman stated if he had a camera he'd stop at the next garda station, there is no need for a camera, a phone call will suffice as the Garda take road safety seriously and will follow up on complaints.

Not true, the garda require you to go in and make a personal statement which will then be followed up but you must do it in person a phone call aint sufficent.

Not true, the garda require you to go in and make a personal statement which will then be followed up but you must do it in person a phone call aint sufficent.
    and then what. i done that once i stress once cos nothing came of it. need to have the offender by the scruff of the neck iin with you before they take any notice. i had reg number ,foto cos he over took us on a bend i had camera in car so we followed him but i wasnt going to risk our lives to keep going after him so camera came in handy. i done all of the above , rang back to see if they got him but nothing was done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭susanroth

blond45 wrote: »
    if he or (was it you who ended up in the clearing) didnt have the clearing to go where would ye be now,,your were the safe one going slow but the twit who knew it all nearly killed two people .,ive seen some near misses when im out getting my family to school or to work. my hubbie is a lorry driver ,he could wright a book of stupid drivers.

Just the other day I was in a que of traffic the other day, i'd say there was about 5 cars in front and i dunno how many behind when i spotted this bmw overtaking from 3 cars behind and there was a car coming against us. Luckily I saw him in time to allow a gap for him to come back on the left. Certain drivers think they are the best drivers and can overtake whenever they want as many cars as they feel like. It makes me sick these ppl can carry on like this. Whats more I'm sure I passed him then on the motorway where he could've overtaken to his hearts content:mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭susanroth

mars bar wrote: »

Some people seem totally opposed to slowing down at roundabouts

susanroth wrote: »
    Some people seem totally opposed to slowing down at roundabouts

Yeah, it's ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

the examples cited in this thread are a good reason for why i will never, ever drive a car as long as i live. too many idiots on the roads

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

the examples cited in this thread are a good reason for why i will never, ever drive a car as long as i live. too many idiots on the roads

Don't forget the unlit cyclists with no reflectors going the wrong way up one way streets, or the pedestrians who run across the road in the dark in front of oncoming cars...

Fey! wrote: »
    Don't forget the unlit cyclists with no reflectors going the wrong way up one way streets, or the pedestrians who run across the road in the dark in front of oncoming cars...
    i heard that cyclists have to use flashing rear and front lights by law.this is coming into effect very soon.as a cyclist /jogger i think its a good thing.in fact jogers should wear lights as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

Fey! wrote: »

don't worry, i'm not one of those

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭finlma

You may not want to go out walking either, there are muggers out there. It could also be risky to get on a plane, on occasions they crash. Be careful eating food too, people have been known to choke. :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement