Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

yet another crash

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

finlma wrote: »
    You may not want to go out walking either, there are muggers out there. It could also be risky to get on a plane, on occasions they crash. Be careful eating food too, people have been known to choke. :rolleyes:

if you look at the statistics, i'm not sure the risks of choking on food quite compare to the risks of being involved in a car crash. but thanks for the patronising comment anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Frank Jnr

the examples cited in this thread are a good reason for why i will never, ever drive a car as long as i live. too many idiots on the roads

Those "idiots" on the road can just as easily knock you off your bike, run you down on the foot path, crash into your bus or derail your train, why place unnecessary restrictions on yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭finlma

if you look at the statistics, i'm not sure the risks of choking on food quite compare to the risks of being involved in a car crash. but thanks for the patronising comment anyway!

You're more than welcome. I presume since you're never going to drive that you never get into cars. How do you get from place to place or is there a bit of a hole in your theory?

Frank Jnr wrote: »
    Those "idiots" on the road can just as easily knock you off your bike, run you down on the foot path, crash into your bus or derail your train, why place unnecessary restrictions on yourself?

yeah, good hustle. why's everyone getting so uptight about what i said?

You're more than welcome. I presume since you're never going to drive that you never get into cars. How do you get from place to place or is there a bit of a hole in your theory?

here is a picture for you.

http://dublinbusphotos.homestead.com/DublinBusImage.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭finlma

Here's another:
    http://www.michaelnugent.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/LUAS-Bus-Crash-1-350.jpg

(No disrespect to anyone involved in any crash meant)

You can't live your life in fear.

I'm not getting up tight, I just think your reason for not driving a car is irrational.

If you said you couldn't afford a car or hadn't got the confidence to drive a car I'd understand but saying that your won't use the road because of a small minority of other road users is being really restrictive on yourself.

Dublin Bus? Didn't one of their busses take out 5 pedestrians at a bus stop a few years back?

Here's another:
    http://www.michaelnugent.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/LUAS-Bus-Crash-1-350.jpg

(No disrespect to anyone involved in any crash meant)

You can't live your life in fear.

yes, that would be the one bus crash anyone can remember from this year. many fatalities? i can't quite remember

I'm not getting up tight, I just think your reason for not driving a car is irrational.

If you said you couldn't afford a car or hadn't got the confidence to drive a car I'd understand but saying that your won't use the road because of a small minority of other road users is being really restrictive on yourself.

Dublin Bus? Didn't one of their busses take out 5 pedestrians at a bus stop a few years back?

it's not a small minority though, is it? read the thread, it's a chronic problem. look at the amount of money the government pumps into drive-safely campaigns. i think it's a perfectly good reason for not wanting to own a car. i'd say about 80& of people i know who drive have been involved in a crash or near-miss. it's a game of percentages. and i'm reducing the percentages for myself. if you can't get your head around that, you're the one with the problem.

i really don't see how it's restrictive either. people get by without cars. save a lot of money too.

the examples cited in this thread are a good reason for why i will never, ever drive a car as long as i live. too many idiots on the roads

You cant go around living in fear like that, its only an existence not a life.

I really could not live without a car.

• Advertisement

You cant go around living in fear like that, its only an existence not a life.

jesus christ. it's a CAR. it's not like living without a limb or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

In Ireland it pretty much is.

Never wanted to learn to drive. Not because I was afraid, more because I didn't see why I'd need to. Living in Montreal a car is a status symbol rather than a necessity. The metro, the bus, and cycling are all more than adequate means of transportation there.

Then I moved to this country.

Held out for a while, but I'm now a car owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Xiney wrote: »
    In Ireland it pretty much is.

Never wanted to learn to drive. Not because I was afraid, more because I didn't see why I'd need to. Living in Montreal a car is a status symbol rather than a necessity. The metro, the bus, and cycling are all more than adequate means of transportation there.

Then I moved to this country.

Held out for a while, but I'm now a car owner.

I hope your proud of yourself!..your carbon footprint will be the one that tips us over into crisis....for shame. I couldn't imagine having a car in a decent city like Montreal, New York, Vancouver, London etc. In this place you better have a car...public transport is dire!

If you don't want to drive that's your choice but like Xiney said above it's more or less inevitable that you will have to learn. If you respect your car than you don't have to worry about much...just the other eejits that don't but sure at that logic you could be run over walking by the road, stabbed on the street etc. doesn't stop you from going outside...or does it?

it's not a small minority though, is it? read the thread, it's a chronic problem. look at the amount of money the government pumps into drive-safely campaigns. i think it's a perfectly good reason for not wanting to own a car. i'd say about 80& of people i know who drive have been involved in a crash or near-miss. it's a game of percentages. and i'm reducing the percentages for myself. if you can't get your head around that, you're the one with the problem.

i really don't see how it's restrictive either. people get by without cars. save a lot of money too.

Sorry, still don't buy your argument.

Yes, people get by without cars, I did for years, but it can be hard to live in certain parts of this country without one. And yes, they cost money too, it's just your reason (idiotic drivers) for not getting a car that doesn't wash.

Like I said earlier, those same idiots that you are avoiding by not driving can still take you out on the footpath, in the bus or on the train.

Life is full of near misses but you can't live your life wrapped in bubble wrap.

Yes obviously its not living without a limb, but because of a fear of something that may never happen you are restricting yourself to always having to rely on timetables and drop off points etc etc.

Where I grew up, you cant even go to a local shop without a car or go to visit a friend so you can understand why It was so important to me. I travel across the country most weekends, I cant be relying on buses. For a start it takes more than an hour longer to do the trip(not even all the way), I have lots of things to bring, I never know what time I can leave and even then I could only get to within 15 miles of home without somebody collecting me.

I just couldn't live without a car simple as that.

Sorry, still don't buy your argument.

Yes, people get by without cars, I did for years, but it can be hard to live in certain parts of this country without one. And yes, they cost money too, it's just your reason (idiotic drivers) for not getting a car that doesn't wash.

Like I said earlier, those same idiots that you are avoiding by not driving can still take you out on the footpath, in the bus or on the train.

Life is full of near misses but you can't live your life wrapped in bubble wrap.

well i'll keep my fingers crossed that no cars mount the pavement today! drive safely, i'm bowing out of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I hope your proud of yourself!..your carbon footprint will be the one that tips us over into crisis....for shame.

You know, it's interesting you should say that.

I did that "change.ie" quiz to see what my carbon footprint was like, and apparently, it's actually super low in comparison to the national average. But they suggested that I cut out my ONE long haul flight a year (I only put it in there because I took one this year, even though I hadn't taken one in 2008) in order to halve my carbon footprint.

And you know what? That ONE long haul flight was to visit my family in Canada that I hadn't seen in two years. So basically, had that webpage been a person, I would have told it to **** right off.

I've got CFLs, we freeze all winter to save leccy, we bought a 1.0L car and barely drive it anywhere. They can bite me if they think I'm not visiting my family whilst the Green party get chauffered about in 2.3L Mercs.

</rant>

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Xiney wrote: »
    You know, it's interesting you should say that.

I did that "change.ie" quiz to see what my carbon footprint was like, and apparently, it's actually super low in comparison to the national average. But they suggested that I cut out my ONE long haul flight a year (I only put it in there because I took one this year, even though I hadn't taken one in 2008) in order to halve my carbon footprint.

And you know what? That ONE long haul flight was to visit my family in Canada that I hadn't seen in two years. So basically, had that webpage been a person, I would have told it to **** right off.

I've got CFLs, we freeze all winter to save leccy, we bought a 1.0L car and barely drive it anywhere. They can bite me if they think I'm not visiting my family whilst the Green party get chauffered about in 2.3L Mercs.

</rant>

Just tried it...I'm average wooohooo! I should put a lagging jacket on the boiler..there already is one stupid programme

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Spoken like a true townie.
    i ordered these earphones, but when they didn't arrive i rang up the suppliers and they said that apparently the package is in my local post office. now i kind of think they mean the depot, which is a pain in the hole

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63521723#post63521723
    Where is your bus now?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Education, Engineering, Enforcement.

RIP for the victims, always sad to hear - more-so at this time of year.

Thread locked.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement