Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double buggy for 3 yr old and newborn

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Did you have a look at the P&T vibe?

http://www.bambinodirect.co.uk/details1.asp?ProductID=1026&name=phil-&-teds%20-vibe.graffiti.html

Or maybe a side-by-side with a head-hugger for the baby would be better if your toddler is struggling to fit the buggy as is?

http://www.kiddies-kingdom.com/ProductsDetails.aspx?item_id=2290&source=aw&Source=aw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 mairsmi

I was about to suggest the Out n About which Ickle Magoo linked to. I have a single nipper 360 and it's absolutely brilliant. My friend has the double and is also really pleased with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

We had the same problem, toddler too big for the twin buggies. Though I think other people just ignore the fit because we see others using those buggies with taller toddlers. Once the baby is bigger and fits underneath the toddler seems to go into the main seat ok.

The Graco Stadium Duo and Out and About Nipper Twin are a lot bigger. You'd get a 5~6yr old in there. As they take a higher weight as well if you look at the specs. The Out and About is vastly easier to push. If you doing a lot of walking, thats the one to get. The Graco though is excellent, for the money and other than being heavier to push is probably handier to out in the car and get in and out of shops with. Both are bulky and you won't fit them in a smaller boot. We ended up with both, but currently only use the Nipper. We have our Graco up for sale on adverts.

Find a shop that has both and try both kids in them. The other thing I'l say is that once the toddler starts walking alot you might find you don't need a twin buggy. So you see a lot of sale hardly used. Also if you use a buggy board, they don't fit on all twins. We managed to get one to fit on the nipper though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭long_b

Thanks folks.

It looks like either an Out & About or just maybe try to tough it out until new babba can go in a regular 3 wheeler with a double seat.

Accosted some poor woman on the street and she said the O & A were very good but not great around the shops as people don't leave enough room.

Would this be doorways etc ?

Also, any bricks and mortar shops for the O&A ?

Yes its wider than a single.

Do you plan on doing much shopping with two kids in tow?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭Darthhoob

can't really advice but i'm due a baby in feb and have a 18 month old (will be 20 months by then obvsiouly lol)

the powertwin is the ONLY double i seem to like! especially as you can use it as a travel system too.

the phil and ted is nice and funky. but i dont like the idea of the new baby being 'slotted' or 'filed' under the toddler lol! i know they can still see out of the back...but they'd have to roll thier eyes up and see things upside down :/..........plus i can't attach a car seat to it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭livvy

the phil and ted is nice and funky. but i dont like the idea of the new baby being 'slotted' or 'filed' under the toddler lol! i know they can still see out of the back...but they'd have to roll thier eyes up and see things upside down :/..........plus i can't attach a car seat to it :P[/quote]

Got the phil and teds and enquired re car seat in mothercare. I have a 4mt and a nearly 3yr old. Girl there said they do stock a seat that fits both p & t and another brand- cant remember brand name, sorry, but am sure easy to find out (i just kept using my old one). My 3yr old is tall - seat dosn't fit too well but it is grand - never really use hood that much. Filing cabinet thingy is great. I never worry about the cold - especially if you pick up the cocoon sleeper - round €40 extra. Great double buggy for out walking - once wheels are pumbed right it is absolutely no bother to push.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,429 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Highly recommend the Phil & Ted for its versatility. We've owned quite some (double) buggies and this one is by far the best. Unofficially, it even seats 3 kids :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Squarejocks

Hey Guys,

Can definitely recommend this one
    http://www.meandmybaby.ie/prod7.asp?ID=290&sub_cat=672&sub_cat2=43&offset=&prod_id=171&grpid=171&#prod_anchor
    Fits in the doorways and folds up nicely, our 3 yr old daughter also likes the way she can see the baby in the carrycot ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭paddydriver

We have number 3 on the way and will now have 3 under 4 and are going to tough it out with the P&T sport. My wife was very sceptical originally as we were going from Bugaboo to it as a double - but now I think she really likes it as it can do everything needed and is tough as old boots. Only big issue is the overall weight of it but as long as tyres are kept well inflated it runs well:D

Our 3 yr old daughter is fairly tall for her age too and she still wants to go underneath and leaves her 2 yr old bro up top. Just have to be careful not to tip it when she is in there on her own.

As regards the issue of someone banging their head against the support bar on the attachment - this has not been an issue so far but I am conscious of it and guess some pipe insulation and duck tape would sort it:)

I looked at the P&T vibe but did not really like it - it was no brainer to come out with an aluminium version of the sport but from what I can see the sport is still very popular.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 sheehyskeff

long_b wrote: »
    Folks,

Would like a recommendation for a 3 wheeler for our "big for his age" toddler and his 2 month old sister.

His legs dangle around the wheels of most tandem fixed seat tandem twins, eg Jane PowerTwin http://www.janeusa.com/powertwincolors.htm

... and his head rests over the support bar whenput in the double seat of the Phil and Ted range (sport/classic etc see bottom left image below) http://www.bobbysbest.com/phil-and-teds-sport-buggy-stroller-double-review.html

So, any ideas on a 3 wheeler that would accomodate him ?

Don't know if this helps but you could try using a buggy board at the back of your old buggy. We have the same age-gap between ours and our eldest was also very tall for his age when new baby arrived. He absolutely loved his new "skateboard" as he calls it and it fits very nicely at the back of the Bugaboo. We just held onto his old stroller as well and used it for any super long walks! Bugaboo do their own buggy board but it's quite large, we just got your ordinary Smyths Toystore stock! Couldn't do without it now, especially when I'm out on my own with them! Best of luck.

Thanks for the replies folks.

Any opinions on Mothercare's version of the Out and About ?

http://www.mothercare.ie/ContentBuilder/DisplayPage.aspx?DataId=DA000057&view=detail&ProductID=PR000002&UniqueID=278

Does anyone know of a bricks and mortar outlet for the Out and About ?

http://www.tonykealys.com/home/index.asp

Used to have one in the shop...

BostonB wrote: »
    http://www.tonykealys.com/home/index.asp

Used to have one in the shop...

That's great thanks - they have both in stock !

Thanks for the advice folks - went with the Out and About in the end (equality of view for the two kiddies swung it in the end for us).

Both nice machines, on sale at the moment in Kealys.

We managed to get a buggy board to fit the out and about too.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭ghosttown

Hi All, 2 year 1 month old, and baby brother due this weekend, we were just about to get a Phil and Ted's but have now seen the lovencare Europa that they have in Smyths. At 299, seems cheap compared to P&T, but looks as good, or am i missing something ?
    Only the best for the boys I hope !!! http://www.lovencare.ie/strollers-and-prams/europa-stroller/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

ghosttown wrote: »
    Hi All, 2 year 1 month old, and baby brother due this weekend, we were just about to get a Phil and Ted's but have now seen the lovencare Europa that they have in Smyths. At 299, seems cheap compared to P&T, but looks as good, or am i missing something ?
    Only the best for the boys I hope !!! http://www.lovencare.ie/strollers-and-prams/europa-stroller/

The only negatives I've heard about the Europa is the straps are a real pain and fiddly and also that the toddler seat is both smaller and doesn't recline compared with the P&T.... hope that helps! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭tscul32

we have 23.5 mths between our two, got a freebie second hand double and was delighted we didn't spend money on one cos only used it about 10 times. Older one wanted to walk everywhere so we ended up with a buggy board. In the first couple months stuck baba in a sling (middle of winter so this was warmer anyway) and had toddler in the stroller.
    The only time I used it was when out for a walk on my own with them but managed better with the buggy board on the stroller. At the weekend there would be me and my husband so we'd take one each. To go shopping I just got a family trolley, baby seat and toddler seat.
    Depends on your circumstances whether you'll use it but how long more will a 3yo be in a buggy?

Depends if you are in situations where you can have the 3yr old walking or not.

• Advertisement
Advertisement