Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Non Christians

• 13-12-2009 10:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi Folks

What is there to do on Christmas day for people who do not celebrate it.

Is there anywhere open in Ireland at all??

If they dont want to sit home all day.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

coralcathy wrote: »
    Hi Folks

there might be a shop open somewhere or something.

not everything is closed on christmas day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I don't get it. I know many non Christians who celebrate Christmas but don't partake in any religouis cermonies. I for one won't.

Spend the day with friends and famliy, eat, drink and do all the other things the holiday is meant for.

I don't get it. I know many non Christians who celebrate Christmas but don't partake in any religouis cermonies. I for one won't.

Spend the day with friends and famliy, eat, drink and do all the other things the holiday is meant for.

exactly.

Eat loads of food, have plenty to drink with family and friends. What more do you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

coralcathy wrote: »
    Hi Folks

Why don't you go visit your family?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

My uncle doesn't celebrate christmas at all. He just does gardening all day. His wife spends the day with her family. I don't know why he doesn't celebrate it at all though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

My wife and girls are Jewish but they celebrate Christmas. Right now we're in the middle of Chanukah but if Santa Claus didn't arrive on Christmas morning there would be rightous outrage from the younger Ms leincars and the older Ms leincars would also be in uproar.

By the way I was baptised Catholic but am athiest but the traditions and sentiments are all that matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

The Christians stole winterfest from the Heathens... we're stealing it back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

OP where are you based? It might make it easier for people to tell you where you could go if they knew the area you were looking at.
    If you're in Dublin, there are restaurants/hotels open for lunches I think, like the MonaLisa off D'olier Street, and Waterhouse Hotel Donabate is open for lunch. These types of places may be booked up already. Was there anything specific you were looking at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 50 ✭✭coralcathy

thanks for all the above replies.

In the West.

Well if you're looking for somewhere to eat, then hotels would be your best bet, but I'd be getting onto them asap as they may be booked up. As I said it depends on what you're looking to do.

If you're in Galway, the Radisson probably opens, as would some of the other hotels. I believe there's a charity swim sometimes on Christmas day, if you were into that, or even wanted to go watch. You might be able to volunteer somewhere - could be for homeless, or could be for animals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭earleuginedoyle

leincar wrote: »
    My wife and girls are Jewish but they celebrate Christmas. Right now we're in the middle of Chanukah but if Santa Claus didn't arrive on Christmas morning there would be rightous outrage from the younger Ms leincars and the older Ms leincars would also be in uproar.

By the way I was baptised Catholic but am athiest but the traditions and sentiments are all that matters.

happy Christmukah!!!

OP, just stock up on food so you wont need to go to a shop and enjoy a leisurely day at home or go for walks, like any other day off! that is if you choose to ignore the day completely!

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Surely the only difference need be, don't go to mass in the morning. Nothing else during the day is religion specific. Enjoy the day, eat, drink, watch TV, play with new gifts and generally just be merry. Problem solved!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 50 ✭✭coralcathy

Thank you Star-pants, I was planning to have lunch at home and the go the Coast, but I didnt know about the Charity Swim!

Excellent. Thanks again

I'm not 100% on it, but I could swear there was one before, I'm sure if you asked around people would know. I assume it might be Salthill way.

Advertisement