Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things to love/hate about the premiership

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Love the quality. Arshavins goal yesterday had to be applauded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Love:
    The fact alot of EPL fans find Spanish football boring and would prefer to watch people kick each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

HATE:

Diving only being called diving when its a foreigner/Arsenal player.
    All things Manchester United (fans, manager especially)
    The over-hype and over-pricing of young English players.
    How frustrating my beloved Gunners are sometimes.
    Fans moaning about the invasion of overseas players and yet pleading for their team to be bought by some rich Arab consortium.
    Referees favouring the big teams in the majority of games.
    Rubbish analysts, in particular Jamie Redknapp and Alan Shearer.

LOVE:
    Watching Arsenal in full flight.
    The unbelieveable excitement and anticipation of the first day of the season.
    30 yard screamers that go in off the underside of the bar.
    Giles and Dunphy, good honest tell it like it is punditry.
    No nonsense defending a la John Terry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Hate
    Arsene Wenger complaining about anti-football. Its a contact sport ffs, man up and buy hard man, ya whinger
    Arsene Wenger saying he didn't see it (when his team concedes a penalty)
    Arsene Wenger syaing his team are victimised, when they have the worst disiplinary record of the PL since he joined.
    Arsene Wenger not having the common courtesy to shake someones hand
    Having to have 3 TV sports packs to see the games.
    Simulation. Its not f*****g simulation, it is diving/cheating
    Jamie Redknapp.
    People defending their "diver", but giving out about all the others. They all f*****g do it.
    Ashley Cole.
    Players who are not loyal to their clubs (Ronaldo, A Cole etc)

Love
    Jimmy Bullard
    Seeing Liverpool lose (again)
    Arsenals passing football
    Players like Giggs and Schoes still going strong
    Stunning individual runs and goals
    Weird goals like the beechball incident
    Everyone having a different opinion
    Sky Sports Soccer Saturday
    Players who are loyal to their clubs (Giggs, Scholes, Gerrard, Carra, Terry etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,011 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Love: Blackburn Rovers and good games, good conversation about it.
    Hate: Cheating, diving, big four bias from refs, money destroying the game, any thread on liverpool or united on here due to the level of stupidity in them, biased former soccer player pundits, idiots 'fans' booing their own players, stewards turfing people out for standing up(ffs its exciting and what do you do when the guy in front of you stands up?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Chanandler Bong

Love When the players are lining up for a Champions League game and the fans are buzzing and the Champions League music comes on in the stadium, makes you sick not to be there!

Hate The way Blackburn games are always last on any round up show!

+ also the woeful standard of punditry from 95% of TV analysts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Chanandler Bong

1mcampo1 wrote: »
    HATE
    Andy Gray talking out his arse...

Love
    Eamon Dunphy's analysis
    Games with a few goals in it
    Nutmeg's!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gasxpPiews

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Love

WAGS - Come on, they're hot

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Hate:

- The way the average fan now knows the name of the owner, chairman, bank and interest rate of their club
    - The pressure placed on clubs and players for immediate success
    - The lack of respect clubs and players have for contracts, when it suits them
    - Agents
    - The current Champions League and UEFA Cup formats. The CL should be for champions only. The UEFA Cup should be elevated to what it once was
    - Thierry Henry
    - Sepp Blatter, and FIFA for not moving with the times
    - The money of Man City and Chelsea

Love:
    - Fernando Torres
    - Sir Alex Ferguson's increasingly senile and absurd interviews anytime United drop points
    - The passion of the crowds
    - The generally good standard of football throughout the league
    - Fernando Torres

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Love:
    • Manchester United (the history, the passion, the never say die attitude, electric atmospheres),
    • Original chants,
    • Entertainment value (even Stoke vs Wigan can turn out to be a great game with an amazing goal),
    • Model professionals - both on and off the pitch (Giggs, Scholes - not just great footballers)
    • Unpredictability, more than any other league...
    • Late drama
    • Last day of the season
    • Massive games that end up in edge of the seat type stuff and nerves for the whole game
    • Friendly rivalry, good banter
    • Playing flying into tackles, wholly committed
    • Players who kiss the badge - and you know that they really mean it
    • Fans who sing, even if there team are heading for certain defeat, rather than those who just head for the exits.

Hate:
    • The lack of Jose Mourinho (I hated him, but I loved him),
    • People defending the indefensible (you know who you are)
    • Managers and fans with selective myopia (all teams do wrong, even your own).
    • Fans who rip off other teams chants without it being a skit of the original (Uniteds O'Shea song -> Stolen by Liverpool for Torres, Uniteds Possebon/Obertan song -> Stolen by Chelsea for Essien, Viva Ronaldo -> Stolen by Sunderland for K. Jones)
    • Rafa Benitez (he's a conman, nothing more, nothing less - every interview he says the team were "working hard", like other teams don't work hard Rafa, no?)
    • Cockney fans and commentators pronouncing Drogba (Its Drogba, not Drog-baw)
    • Unprofessional professionals (Ashley Cole, millions of pounds, cheating on his wife, not appreciating what he has, when decent people are struggling financially, he's living the high life and acting like a tool)
    • Lack of loyalty (Cashley Cole, Sol Campbell, Carlos Tevez, Gabriel Heinze - dont go to your rivals, especially straight from one to the other, respect the shirt)
    • Diving (Ronaldo, Gerrard, Torres, Rooney, Drogba). Didier, you are built like a tank, get up, get on with it, and stopping rolling around like a girl if someone comes within 3 feet of you).
    • Not having the money to go to every United game week in and week out
    • Watching United losing knowing I'll be in a horrible mood for quite a while afterwards
    • The excessive chanting of "Your support is ****ing ****" at every game, if one set of supporters are silent for 30 seconds.
    • The "We support our local team" chant, so what if you do, what do you want, a medal? Just because I dont live 5 mins to from ground doesn't mean my club means any less to me, than yours to you.
    • Commentators who says "The <fans> are getting frustrated, its really quiet around <stadium>", when you can hear the <fans> singing.
    • The lack of scarf twirling and "Viva Ronaldo" inside Old Trafford now :(
    • Lack of video replays, although thats a worldwide problem, not just a Premiership problem.
    • Fans from who complain about non-locals supporting their team. Especially when their team mainly consists of foreign players. You wouldn't hear them complaining if foreigners like Messi/Ronaldo/Eto'o signed for their team. Can't have it both ways.

Hate:

- The way the average fan now knows the name of the owner, chairman, bank and interest rate of their club
    - The pressure placed on clubs and players for immediate success
    - The lack of respect clubs and players have for contracts, when it suits them
    - Agents
    - The current Champions League and UEFA Cup formats. The CL should be for champions only. The UEFA Cup should be elevated to what it once was
    - Thierry Henry
    - Sepp Blatter, and FIFA for not moving with the times
    - The money of Man City and Chelsea

Love:
    - Fernando Torres
    - Sir Alex Ferguson's increasingly senile and absurd interviews anytime United drop points
    - The passion of the crowds
    - The generally good standard of football throughout the league
    - Fernando Torres

Oh, I should have mentioned another one on my list: Irony. ;):D

Y2J_MUFC You forgot to mention the exhorbitant cost of prawn cocktails at Old Trafford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    Oh, I should have mentioned another one on my list: Irony. ;):D

Don't worry, it was completely intentional. He deserves (at least) two mentions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

flahavaj wrote: »
    Hate:
    Legends and brilliant pros like Giggs and Scholes.
    You got yourself a rhyme there my friend:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Wexler12

HATE:

''Irish'' people supporting it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Wexler12 wrote: »
    HATE:

''Irish'' people supporting it

I double dare people to pursue this old chestnut in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Hate :
    The mega money that has turned the game into a circus
    People with poor English, speaking about the game in an expert capacity on television.
    Ticket Prices
    Sky dictating kick off times
    Money dictating everything

*nods in agreement*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Another HATE I've just thought of:

TV making a balls of all the kick off times.

Now you've got games on a Saturday at: 12.45, 15.00, 17.30 kick off times, and also: Sunday 12.00, 13.00, 13.30, 14.00, 15.00 and 16.00 kick off times too:mad:

Whatever happend to the good old 8 games on a Saturday at 3pm, and the Super Sunday game at 4pm, and then the Monday Night Football at 8pm.

Col200sx wrote: »
    Another HATE I've just thought of:

TV making a balls of all the kick off times.

Now you've got games on a Saturday at: 12.45, 15.00, 17.30 kick off times, and also: Sunday 12.00, 13.00, 13.30, 14.00, 15.00 and 16.00 kick off times too:mad:

Whatever happend to the good old 8 games on a Saturday at 3pm, and the Super Sunday game at 4pm, and then the Monday Night Football at 8pm.
    Hate
    Sky
    Pool were doing quite nicely till sky came along. Then clubs suddenly had money to buy players

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

LOVE:
    AndyGray3_548209.jpg

Andy Grays excited little face!

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭destroyer

Love the way Liverpool start every season thinking this will be their year....and it never happens.

Love the way Arsenal console themselves every season with the prospect of success in future years.........and its never gonna happen.

Love the way Chelsea think if they throw enough money around for long enough they will become one of Europes big clubs ....it will never happen.

Love United

Hate The Rest

Eyes raised to heaven

Love that Keegan outburst after Fergie tried to get a rise out of him. In my top three. Collymore's winner in our 4-3 win over Newcastle. Best game of all time in Premiership
    comes second. And obviously our win at old trafford last season comes in at number one

Eyes raised to heaven

Love that Keegan outburst after Fergie tried to get a rise out of him. In my top three. Collymore's winner in our 4-3 win over Newcastle. Best game of all time in Premiership
    comes second. And obviously our win at old trafford last season comes in at number one

Which player are you? Just you seem to refer to Liverpool as you're playing for them:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Which player are you? Just you seem to refer to Liverpool as you're playing for them:p

He was a late sub in the game............Dossena........not up to much but took his goal well!:p

You are kidding aren't you?

Yes;)

Just think it's funny when people refer to English clubs as "us" and "our":D

Yes;)

Just think it's funny when people refer to English clubs as "us" and "our":D
    Ah to be fair with the pool they had plenty of scots and irish on the team in the good old days. Team that beat Everton in cup final was a completely non english team if im right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Hate
    Jamie Redknapp
    SKY Hyperbole machine
    SSN
    Gerry Francis/Jason Cundy et al on SSN
    Following Liverpool-never being 100% certain of the result of a match
    The Xmas DVDs
    Fans calling other fans scum because its "cool" to hate everything about rival teams!

Love
    Following Liverpool
    Jimmy Bullard he's living the dream of every guy thats ever dreamt of stepping on the pitch
    When a player goes to cross/shoot and his standing leg kicks ther ball from his shooting foot and he swipes thin air and crashes and burns! Ah they are human!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

LOVE

Ronaldo leaving man utd for real madrid he was a bad role model for kids.

John o shea and the way the irish man utd fans think hes not that good even though hes a regular in the team.

Liverpool fc and Gerrard.

Watching the irish players do well for themselves in the premier league.

HATE

Soccer Am

Stephen Ireland

Drogba

Setanta Sports its overpriced and a waste of money.

The way chelsea got rid of jose mourinho hes fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Hate the way some teams throw in the towel before kick-off ala Wolves tonight at Old Trafford. They have made 10 changes from their side that won last Saturday. Its a bit of a farce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    Just because I dont live 5 mins to from ground doesn't mean my club means any less to me, than yours to you.

Yup, it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Ah to be fair with the pool they had plenty of scots and irish on the team in the good old days. Team that beat Everton in cup final was a completely non english team if im right.

They are still an English club ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Love:

Sky Sports
    Arsene Wenger going mental when things don't go his way.
    When newly promoted teams have a good start to the league.
    Chris Kamara
    Jeff Stelling
    Soccer Saturday in general. Very entertaining and great debate.
    Man City (gives myself and a few supporters of "smaller" clubs hope that one day something like this could happen)
    Liverpool fans on Rafa Benitez. Comedy gold sometimes.

Hate:

Divers
    Fans who stick their fingers up at players.
    Fans who throw sh*t at players.
    Lack of video technology.
    Inconsistent refs.
    The fact that we're not in it. ;)
    The so called "big 4" (What will happen next year if someone else breaks into the top 4? Will it just be, for example "the top 3" and City?)

That_Guy wrote: »
    Love:

Sky Sports
    Arsene Wenger going mental when things don't go his way.
    When newly promoted teams have a good start to the league.
    Chris Kamara
    Jeff Stelling
    Soccer Saturday in general. Very entertaining and great debate.
    Man City (gives myself and a few supporters of "smaller" clubs hope that one day something like this could happen)
    Liverpool fans on Rafa Benitez. Comedy gold sometimes.

Hate:

Divers
    Fans who stick their fingers up at players.
    Fans who throw sh*t at players.
    Lack of video technology.
    Inconsistent refs.
    The fact that we're not in it. ;)

Sorry did I miss something here. Man City a small club. yet they have been taken over by Millionaires?

DSB wrote: »
    Yup, it does.

No. Just, no. I'm not getting drawn into that bullsh*t argument.

Another thing for my list though:

LOVE
    • Fantasy Premier League - the most head wrecking and addictive of games

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

are "people" (you might think that word shouldn't have inverted commas but I assure you it should in this case) honestly bring up the "but it's an english club durrrr" argument in a thread titled Things to love/hate about the premiership? Quite ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Warper wrote: »
    Hate the way some teams throw in the towel before kick-off ala Wolves tonight at Old Trafford. They have made 10 changes from their side that won last Saturday. Its a bit of a farce.

And it's against the Premier League rules no?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

LOVE:

-Not knowing the scores till watching MOTD
    -Honest managers
    -John Terry, Vidic or Micheal Dawson blocking a shot
    -Paul Scholes' tackling
    -Seeing celebrations of actually emotion and not just a smug nod that shows the player has just earned another 3 grand bonus
    -Adrian Chiles
    -Lee Dixon's Analysis (And im a spurs man!)
    -Liverpool's (deluded) sense of progression
    -Andy Gray's Toys

HATE:
    -Andy's Grays Analysis
    -The refereeing every weekend
    -Diving
    -Didier Drogba's nonstop antics
    -Arsene Wenger's optician
    -Teams not fighting for wins against bigger teams (especially spurs)
    -Defenders falling over when under pressure
    -Strikers going near defenders to allow this to happen
    -Constant arguments over offsides, penalties and diving. Make examples of players and officials to sort it out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Losing at home to anybody in the top four. Worst when it is Utd but thankfully that hasn't happened recently.

noodler wrote: »
    Losing at home to anybody in the top four. Worst when it is Utd but thankfully that hasn't happened recently.
    hate
    Cynical managers who put out weakened sides. Mick McCarthy knows who I'm talking about. Wonder how Roy feels about it. Maybe we should ask him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Sorry did I miss something here. Man City a small club. yet they have been taken over by Millionaires?

I never said Man City were a small club.

I said "smaller clubs" because some commentators and journalists call certain teams small sometimes.

In other words I was trying to say, these so called small clubs.

Ah I can't explain myself. I'm hungover.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Wexler12

Maybe your from Liverpool, maybe your not, their not 'your' team if your from Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Something to hate:

The pronounciation of Andy KEE-OH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Something to hate:

The pronounciation of Andy KEE-OH.
    Or Keith Fah-hee.

• Advertisement

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Or Keith Fah-hee.
    Love
    Zola and positive attitude to life

Hate
    Zola and his positive attitude to life
    Premiership owners who feel the need to sack their managers every eighteen months.
    Referees and their percentages. Award one penalty turn down twenty

Advertisement