Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipperary County Crest?

Options
  • 13-12-2009 12:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

Which is it that the GAA teams have one crest while another county crest exists?

I've a few Tipp jerseys, but realy I've sometimes wonder why did the crest change. Do other counties do this?

67270.jpg
    4010926.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

The GAA notion of a county is not synonymous with the political concept of a county, which is an administrative district. Personally, I would abolish the county system in governance because of the petty, small-minded parish pump mentality it has created and perpetuates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

I think it comes down to money with the GAA. As far as I understand it, up to about 8 - 10 years ago, the GAA county crests were the same as the Heraldic ones or County Council ones. When replica shirts started to become big business the county boards realised that they had no ownership of the crests which could be ripped off by anyone. By designing their own ones, they of course hold the rights to any reproductions and the official jerseys are produced under license with a cut from every sale coming back to the county boards. You can imagine the revenue being important in places like Cork or Kerry, Kilkenny or indeed Tipp.
    By the way, I think the Tipp one looks like it was the result of a schools competition such is it's mankeyness. It was in fact designed, as far as I am aware by designer Louise Kennedy. She really phoned that one in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I think it comes down to money with the GAA. As far as I understand it, up to about 8 - 10 years ago, the GAA county crests were the same as the Heraldic ones or County Council ones. When replica shirts started to become big business the county boards realised that they had no ownership of the crests which could be ripped off by anyone. By designing their own ones, they of course hold the rights to any reproductions and the official jerseys are produced under license with a cut from every sale coming back to the county boards. You can imagine the revenue being important in places like Cork or Kerry, Kilkenny or indeed Tipp.
    By the way, I think the Tipp one looks like it was the result of a schools competition such is it's mankeyness. It was in fact designed, as far as I am aware by designer Louise Kennedy. She really phoned that one in.
    That sounds about right,including the bit about Louise Kennedy;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Thanks for that TimmyTarmac, makes sense I suppose

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 211 ✭✭MickTipp

the newer tipp crest is very nice

• Advertisement
Advertisement