Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gogarty tries to explain on Facebook group!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

I am mortified with all the interest in that outburst

Hardly. Gogarty has got exactly what he wanted out of this. He got the front page headline in the Irish Examiner, and loads of people talking about him on discussion forums and other places (3 threads here?). It was a publicity stunt, and the fact that he apologized directly before and after the outburst reinforces this.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Hardly. Gogarty has got exactly what he wanted out of this. He got the front page headline in the Irish Examiner, and loads of people talking about him on discussion forums and other places (3 threads here?). It was a publicity stunt, and the fact that he apologized directly before and after the outburst reinforces this.

Yep almost like he had scripted it in advance. Hopefully the voters of Dublin West see though this charade and give him his comeuppance like the rest of the Greens at the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

+1 to that,and the most contrived,stage managed,amaturish "outburst" this frukken side of the Gaiety Pantomine.

If this lad is a standard bearer for a future Political movement then John Gormley can sleep easily !!

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Yes, it was a cunning plan - so premeditated, I'm sure he must have spent hours coaching Stagg on his lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭spongeman

Its merely a diversion to draw attention from the carbon taxes.

GREENS = PARTY OF TAXATION.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Can't understand why this is getting so much publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Sand wrote: »
    Yes, it was a cunning plan - so premeditated, I'm sure he must have spent hours coaching Stagg on his lines.

Are you saying that Gogorty wasnt expecting a Labour TD to heckle him over his position on the budget?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

A comeback a 15 year old reverts to - worse than a 2nd rate comic

Oscar Wilde wrote over 100 years ago that
    “It is better to be talked about than not be talked about at all.”
    Still rings true to this day if you look at the amount of attention he had in the past few days.

Is it name recognition value? that would exlain the Bleating and blather on facebook, hardly the place for a TD

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Zuiderzee wrote: »
    A comeback a 15 year old reverts to - worse than a 2nd rate comic

Oscar Wilde wrote over 100 years ago that
    “It is better to be talked about than not be talked about at all.”
    Still rings true to this day if you look at the amount of attention he had in the past few days.

Is it name recognition value? that would exlain the Bleating and blather on facebook, hardly the place for a TD

Unfortunately he is probably the standard for a Green TD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

+1

Unknown TD now getting pages worth of coverage in newspapers and on the internet. Wouldn't have gotten my vote before and he won't get it now, so I couldn't care less about anything he says.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

Green Twit came across as Jedwards big brother , If this is the calibre of green TD,s thankfully they will be wiped out next time out!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Dannyboy83 wrote: »

What should get publicity is that he went on to say:
    Fianna Fail members are cute hoors but they also realise that politics is about people. FF has an innate understanding of people. It doesn't mean they haven't screwed the general public over the years, because their real friends have been developers and big business. I hope Fianna Fail gets a drumming in the next election

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/gogarty-in-more-trouble-after-calling-fianna-fail-cute-hoors-1973181.html

and yet hasn't been asked to step down, leave the GP or leave the government. Could he be the first lemming over the cliff to see how much the Greens can rock the boat, or is he one of the dissenter greens hoping to start up their Greener-than-Green party next election?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

[quote=johnnyskeleton;63481071
    or is he one of the dissenter greens hoping to start up their Greener-than-Green party next election? quote]

I suppose he could bring that mad one Patricia Mckenna with him , the sad thing is there are probably people out there that would vote for them !!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Are you saying that Gogorty wasnt expecting a Labour TD to heckle him over his position on the budget?

I can imagine he would expect he would get some stick from the opposition. Did he think he would get personally insulted ( Stagg basically interrupted him with "blah blah blah" comments and then called him a liar: the sort of stuff that would get moderated here, let alone in the Dail)? I doubt it.

The simplest explanation tends often to be the best. Stagg called him a liar. Gogarty was having to represent a budget he didnt want to have to do ( important phrasing) so probably wasnt in the best mood to begin with. If youre under stress, and someone calls you a liar to your face...well, stuff happens.

I tend to consider that more likely than some machivellian plan, especially when the outcome is at best uncertain and dubious - I got a laugh out of Gogarty calling Stagg on his crap, but others didnt. I wont be giving Gogarty a vote, nor any of his friends in Greena Fail even if I got a laugh from it - others who disapprove of Gogarty will be even less inclined to vote for him. So... I just find the belief it was premeditated to be a little unconvincing.

TBH Sand Stagg was bang on calling Gogarty on sounding insincere. I agree with him he did sound insincere.

Darsad wrote: »
    Green Twit came across as Jedwards big brother , If this is the calibre of green TD,s thankfully they will be wiped out next time out!

LOL - must be something in the water

16138_202874997114_686712114_3446717_2205377_n.jpg

Band name suggestions
    TOSS - as an Hoamage to Bros
    LUCAN LOSERS
    LUCAN LANGERS

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Sand wrote: »
    Did he think he would get personally insulted ( Stagg basically interrupted him with "blah blah blah" comments and then called him a liar: the sort of stuff that would get moderated here, let alone in the Dail)? I doubt it.
    That's what gets me. It seems to be blithely accepted, the sort of playground-level taunting and name-calling that goes on in the Dáil, and it has occurred to me before now that the people we're electing to run the damn country - and paying seven-figure salaries to do it - would get banned from this forum for the sort of crap they come out with in our national parliament. The mind boggles.
    gandalf wrote: »
    TBH Sand Stagg was bang on calling Gogarty on sounding insincere. I agree with him he did sound insincere.
    I have no problem with him calling Gogarty insincere when he's handed the conch shell, or in a press release, or in the comfort of his own home, or dammit to hell in any appropriate forum where he doesn't come across like a petulant child by doing so.

It's our national parliament, for crying out loud. Show some bloody decorum. The sort of carry-on that passes for debate in there day in, day out is more embarrassing in sum total than two f-words from Gogarty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

Couldn't agree more.

The amount of heckling that goes on there is out of all order. It's nothing more than a game for most of them.

Jesus - he is actually posting on facebook in response, and having a right go at some posters- a skin thinner than water!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Hey I agree that Stagg was out of line. He was heckling him in the Dail.

If it was a person on the street, we'd be giving out about it, if it happened here they'd be banned or at least warned but if it happens in the Dail he should be praised.

Well not in my books. Gogarty shouldn't have risen to it but what can you do, he lost the rag. Both behaved unacceptably though IMO.

• Advertisement

He's not the first to behave in this way. There was a TD who shouted, "You're a f**king c**t" at another TD (maybe Frank Cluskey?). I agree that a TD should be thrown out of the house for speaking in this way.

I don't think he lost his temper. If you lose your temper, you don't normally take the time to apologise for what you're about to do. He played that.

Next election time the best he can hope for is a seat in the Seanad.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I have no problem with him calling Gogarty insincere when he's handed the conch shell, or in a press release, or in the comfort of his own home, or dammit to hell in any appropriate forum where he doesn't come across like a petulant child by doing so.

It's our national parliament, for crying out loud. Show some bloody decorum. The sort of carry-on that passes for debate in there day in, day out is more embarrassing in sum total than two f-words from Gogarty.

Ah come on Oscar, the mumbling excuse of a speech that Gogarty was engaging in warranted a challange like Stagg presented and I think that is what Gogarty wanted. He then delivered his cheap and pre-meditated response.

I agree with you that our houses of representatives should have the highest standards of debate, it doesn't. Neither do the House of Parliament in the UK either. If you look at some of the chancers in our Dail then its hardly a surprise that our quality of debate is not that higher. Most gained entry on a platform of filling holes on their local roads and ensuring the local GAA team have nice dressing rooms.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

gandalf wrote: »
    Ah come on Oscar, the mumbling excuse of a speech that Gogarty was engaging in warranted a challange like Stagg presented and I think that is what Gogarty wanted. He then delivered his cheap and pre-meditated response.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Gogarty. His outburst was a disgrace. I'm just making the point that it's only marginally more disgraceful than what passes for debate in the House, day in, day out.
    I agree with you that our houses of representatives should have the highest standards of debate, it doesn't. Neither do the House of Parliament in the UK either. If you look at some of the chancers in our Dail then its hardly a surprise that our quality of debate is not that higher. Most gained entry on a platform of filling holes on their local roads and ensuring the local GAA team have nice dressing rooms.
    I don't think a higher standard of debate in our national parliament is a lot to ask, and I will be asking it of my local TDs - in writing.

They don't need to debate, they have enough votes to do as they like. All it costs is the odd hospital here and there. Debate just gets in the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Dail is a vicars tea party compared to many national chambers, if Gogarty was in Canberra he's know what rough and tumble "debate" is.

mike65 wrote: »
    The Dail is a vicars tea party compared to many national chambers, if Gogarty was in Canberra he's know what rough and tumble "debate" is.

Nah Mike I prefer the South Korean version :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Dannyboy83 wrote: »

Well, with all due respect, in the most un-boardsie language, FECK YOU Dannyboy, FECK YOU.

I apologise and I withdraw that remark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

It was only a matter of time. Explicit language has not been removed from this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

thebman wrote: »
    Hey I agree that Stagg was out of line. He was heckling him in the Dail.

I mentioned before that Labour announced they would begin a policy of disruption over the bill. Whether you agree with it or not (and if Stagg's few heckles were the extent of it then it was pretty pointless) Gogarty must have known well in advance that this or something similar would happen and should have prepared himself for it. When an opposition party announces they will engage in parliamentary disruption, you should know better than to respond to it, especially in the way Gogarty did.

Apart from all that, its not as if speakers in the Dail are not challenged from time to time even if its not 'correct procedure' so again given his time in government thus far Gogarty should have known better than to say **** you. So really any way you want to split it he was immature and stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I mentioned before that Labour announced they would begin a policy of disruption over the bill. Whether you agree with it or not (and if Stagg's few heckles were the extent of it then it was pretty pointless) Gogarty must have known well in advance that this or something similar would happen and should have prepared himself for it. When an opposition party announces they will engage in parliamentary disruption, you should know better than to respond to it, especially in the way Gogarty did.

Apart from all that, its not as if speakers in the Dail are not challenged from time to time even if its not 'correct procedure' so again given his time in government thus far Gogarty should have known better than to say **** you. So really any way you want to split it he was immature and stupid.

Oh come on, it was a personal attack, it wasn't distruption. It had not place in the Dail and he should have been told to behave appropriately as soon as it happened. It shouldn't have gotten to the point where Gogarty lost his temper IMO.

Out of interest, what would Labour have to do before you'd accept they were in the wrong other than pursue right wing policies? Seems like you'll defend almost anything they do.

Advertisement