Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wills and Executor Power

Options
  • 13-12-2009 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi,

I am looking for some general advice from forum readers on Wills and the power of the Executor.

My Granny recently died, and left an equal share of her house and assets to her four children. She made one of the children the executor of the will. The executor has been very slow in executing the wishes of my grandmother and waited over a month to provide a copy of the will to the other beneficiaries. Three of the beneficiaries want the house to be sold straight away and the proceeds split four ways. The fourth beneficiary and executor of the will said that she would determine when the house would be sold.

Does the executor have this power over the decision making process, does she have final say on how the will should be executed even though the other beneficiaries want to sell up straight away?

The solicitor included references to section 55 and 63 of the Succession Act of 1965. Is it typical to include reference to legislation in the will? I know will my grandmother while being of sound mind she would not have understood any of these legal references.

and my final question....

The solicitor with whom my grandmother made her will - does he represent her and her estate or does he represent the executor?

Thank you for taking the time to read this post.

Advertisement