Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lights in the sky

Options
  • 13-12-2009 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Did anyone else see those 3 lights in the sky last night coming from the Oranmore direction towards Moycullen? Then there was a shooting star going by them. Lanterns or aliens?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

totaluser wrote: »
    Lanterns or aliens?

Neither.

Did it look like this?
    article-1234430-0787E503000005DC-600_634x286.jpg
    If so it was a Russian rocket exploding.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Did it look like this?
    article-1234430-0787E503000005DC-600_634x286.jpg
    If so it was a Russian rocket exploding.

If its the Russian's, someone should tell them America is a bit further over to the west...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Hotwheels wrote: »
    If its the Russian's, someone should tell them America is a bit further over to the west...:D

Forget that, tell them Government buildings is farther to the East ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 skygazer

Those things were visible around 23.00 last night, 12.12.2009, correct?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Ice rink located on Nimos Pier , has lights shining into the sky !

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

could it be the three wise men looking for the star , just slightley of with the dates..:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

That was an aer arann atr plane from London or Dublin circling to land in Carnmore, you see them every clear night with an EASTERLY wind but the ice crystals in the air last night added some optical effects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I don't know about the rest of ye but I have never seen a UFO in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

Could be part of the meteor shower that was forecast for the weekend.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055767431&page=2

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I did indeed see the three lights.... and got a photo of them! Taken at 11.30pm last night.

copyofdsc0914resize.jpg

The big orange glow was just from the city, they were too close to the horizon to avoid that really. It's a 30second exposure so it's showing their path over the 30seconds.

They were 3 bright orange lights. A single one had passed about 20minutes earlier. And as you can see they didn't follow a perfectly straight line (camera was on tripod so that's not camera shake).... so I'm assuming they were just Chinese lanterns going with the wind - I've seen them a few times in Galway now. They eventually dimmed to nothing... burned out.

Was out taking photos of the meteor shower mentioned above, saw about 10 shooting stars in half an hour but didn't get any on camera! Meant to peak at 5am tomorrow morning!

Not aer arann so :) Were they an orange/copper/gold colour or a white colour Joe....alowing for the glow from below.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

The lights in the sky are called stars.

There is one really big one, thats called the moon!

:rolleyes:

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Not aer arann so :) Were they an orange/copper/gold colour or a white colour Joe....alowing for the glow from below.

They were a glowing orange colour, very bright...

foto joe wrote: »
    They were a glowing orange colour, very bright...

They seem too slow to be meteorites which normally 'shoot' across the sky but they most likely were a meteor breaking up and heating in the atmosphere.

It was too late to see a satellite which is a dull orange/copper colour because the sun would have moved too far west by 8pm . The exception is the space station which glows white.

If you go out the door right now these lads will be visible ( lower than Mag 4 anyway) if you want to compare. These are bright satellites.

I'm pretty sure they were just chinese lanterns! Much brighter than any star or satelite. Just moving along with the wind.

Similar to this siting....

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭byrner51

PoleStar wrote: »

LOL niceeeeeeeeeee

• Registered Users Posts: 25 totaluser

skygazer wrote: »
    Those things were visible around 23.00 last night, 12.12.2009, correct?

Yes about that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 totaluser

I did indeed see the three lights.... and got a photo of them! Taken at 11.30pm last night.

copyofdsc0914resize.jpg

The big orange glow was just from the city, they were too close to the horizon to avoid that really. It's a 30second exposure so it's showing their path over the 30seconds.

They were 3 bright orange lights. A single one had passed about 20minutes earlier. And as you can see they didn't follow a perfectly straight line (camera was on tripod so that's not camera shake).... so I'm assuming they were just Chinese lanterns going with the wind - I've seen them a few times in Galway now. They eventually dimmed to nothing... burned out.

Was out taking photos of the meteor shower mentioned above, saw about 10 shooting stars in half an hour but didn't get any on camera! Meant to peak at 5am tomorrow morning!

Yeah, they faded away in the distance one by one. Your photo has 2 going parallel to each other, but I think I saw them passing in a row. First one faded first and then the 2 others maybe 5 minutes later. With 2 lights still burning a shooting star went over them.

I think it was around 11 when I saw them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

copyofdsc0914resize.jpg

Looks like Aircraft flying their Flightpaths at Altitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭ThrAx

UFOs in Galway! Damnit why did I have to be in America!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

PoleStar wrote: »

well now , i wouldnt have thought of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭ThrAx

Too lazy to check but was it the same day as this? http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread526294/pg1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 skygazer

Yes about that time.

They seemed to die out somewhere over quincentenary bridge, from where i saw them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Just back from Silverstrand to see some of the Geminids. Only saw 1 or 2 as its getting a bit foggy and there are morons with their car lights on driving up and down, but the few I saw were impressive.

Yeah, they faded away in the distance one by one. Your photo has 2 going parallel to each other, but I think I saw them passing in a row. First one faded first and then the 2 others maybe 5 minutes later. With 2 lights still burning a shooting star went over them.

I think it was around 11 when I saw them.

I'd say the arrangement just depends where you saw it from. That was taken from fisheries field, looking towards quincentenial. Yeah one faded first and then the other two. The also seemed to get lower (candle going out, loss of heat).... Saw that shooting star too!!

Camera saves the time with the photo and it says 11.30pm.

Just Chinese lanterns people - don't be losing any sleep! ;) And on that note.... anyone up for getting together and ordering a load of these and getting a bit of a UFO hoax going?! We could let off a big circle of them! :p

Steyr wrote: »
    Looks like Aircraft flying their Flightpaths at Altitude.

Airplane would have flashing flights wouldn't they? They flickered slightly too. Chinese lanterns, end of!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I don't know about the rest of ye but I have never seen a UFO in Galway.

And I've never seen one anywhere else! ;)

Technically what the OP saw was a UFO - Unidentified Flying Object! They couldn't identify it, it was flying.... it was a UFO. Doesn't mean it's got anything to do with green big-eyed aliens! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I saw these lights too.

This appears to be an explaination.

Advertisement