Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First attempt at off camera flash

• 13-12-2009 2:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭

Sackboy is a game character from my favourite PS3 game - LittleBigPlanet. He's been about here before, but he got shot of his former mate danbo a few months ago. So this is his starting role :D

This was my first proper go at off camera flash, im happy with it....but thought id see if it cuts the mustard?

4179349559_08c5311240_o.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Rubb...I mean, I like it! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Great shot Kevin, fair play to you for always trying new things. Keep it going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

I wouldn't mind seeing a little reflected fill from the right so the contrast is less harsh, looks great though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

I wouldn't mind seeing a little reflected fill from the right so the contrast is less harsh, looks great though!

With a proper reflector? Of can you suggest a home made alternative that i might have handy....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

A large sheet of white card works as a cheap reflector..
    I like this by the way, gave me a laugh.. cool idea and creative..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

With a proper reflector? Of can you suggest a home made alternative that i might have handy....?

http://www.studiolighting.net/aluminum-foil-reflectors/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

really good shot. What power setting did you set on the flash? Worked out really well

EDIT: Now if I'd only clicked on the image to get the information in flickr. Feel stupid now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

I like the harsh shadows and the PP on this.

Here's a potential reflector list in no particular order.

Mirror
    Tin foil
    White wall
    White sheet of paper
    White door..
    White bag
    White silk shirt
    White flat anything really. ;)
    The list is endless. lol :pac:

You could experiment to see which gives the best results. When your finished you could try and duffuse the light with all the above either bounce and/or shoot through. :D

^ thanks!

I did bounce the flash off a cream wall approx 300mm away, but any further away would have mean moving the whole set up & not being able to watch match of the day at the same time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

^ thanks!

I did bounce the flash off a cream wall approx 300mm away, but any further away would have mean moving the whole set up & not being able to watch match of the day at the same time :)

LOL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Love the photo man.

I'm also guilty of loving that game.:D

Thanks for all the comments people

I had another go at it with a similar set up but using a sheet of A4 paper acting as a reflector. Comparing the two, the reflector makes a massive difference

Oh & danbo is back :D
    4181936871_60f95fba9f_o.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

A4 is a perfect reflector! Second version looks really good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

love the second photo. Looks better with the reflected light.

Well done

Advertisement