Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Robbie to be homeless again?

• 13-12-2009 2:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭

Poor Robbie Keane looks like he could be without a home again after Christmas. Reports in the papers are that Spurs have put 4 players up for sale, 1 of which is Robbie. All I can think of is that classic sketch by Mario Rosenstock on Setanta Sports last year.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

To the SPL with him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Its only a matter of time before he gets labelled "journeyman pro" Robbie Keane. Sad the way its panned out for him these last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

flahavaj wrote: »
    Its only a matter of time before he gets labelled "journeyman pro" Robbie Keane. Sad the way its panned out for him these last few years.

Ya real sad for one of the top 10 goalscorers in PL history with his hot wife and millions in the bank

JPA wrote: »
    Ya real sad for one of the top 10 goalscorers in PL history with his hot wife and millions in the bank

Hes a benchwarmer in what should be the prime years of his career and his dream move to Liverpool went tits up after three months. I doubt hes happy about that, regardless of how good looking his bird might be, hardly what you'd expect for a guy who as you say is one of the top 10 Prem goalscorers of all time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

What are the odds on a move to Old Trafford? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Warper wrote: »
    Poor Robbie Keane looks like he could be without a home again after Christmas. Reports in the papers are that Spurs have put 4 players up for sale, 1 of which is Robbie. All I can think of is that classic sketch by Mario Rosenstock on Setanta Sports last year.

How would he be without a club?
    "Up for ale" means they will sell him to another club, if they released him it'd be a different story altogether, but they can't afford that.

Hes a benchwarmer in what should be the prime years of his career and his dream move to Liverpool went tits up after three months. I doubt hes happy about that, regardless of how good looking his bird might be, hardly what you'd expect for a guy who as you say is one of the top 10 Prem goalscorers of all time.

He's rotated in the Spurs team, he's not a bench warmer and he's their captain.
    I'd say he's pretty bloody happy with his life. Nothing sad about it.

He's rotated in the Spurs team, he's not a bench warmer and he's their captain.
    I'd say he's pretty bloody happy with his life. Nothing sad about it.
    And up for sale. He'd hardly be happy with a third transfer in under 18 months. Hardly a sign things are going well for him in all fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

How would he be without a club?
    "Up for ale" means they will sell him to another club, if they released him it'd be a different story altogether, but they can't afford that.

Hes not that bad - I think Spurs would want cash

And up for sale. He'd hardly be happy with a third transfer in under 18 months. Hardly a sign things are going well for him in all fairness.

I seriously doubt he will be sold though so it's not worth talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Not his fault how things panned out, of course he was going to move to his childhood club, and when that didn't work out of course he was going to jump at the chance of going straight back to where he was.

I'd be pretty sure there were a couple of times this season Rafa was thinking he could have done with him, i know i was, and when you think of where the money went to, it has gone a lot worse for Liverpool than Keane.

A player is always up for sale at the right price anyways, and if he does move on, he'd just get on with it like he always does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

He picked up that rep about 5 years ago!

On another note, it's not sad at all, he must have made a bomb from all those transfers he's made!

5% of every transfer fee paid for Robbie, isn't pocket change...

I seriously doubt he will be sold though so it's not worth talking about.

But if he was you'd admit it would be a lot of moving around, not only in the last 18 months, but over his career?

Not his fault how things panned out, of course he was going to move to his childhood club, and when that didn't work out of course he was going to jump at the chance of going straight back to where he was.

I'd be pretty sure there were a couple of times this season Rafa was thinking he could have done with him, i know i was, and when you think of where the money went to, it has gone a lot worse for Liverpool than Keane.

A player is always up for sale at the right price anyways, and if he does move on, he'd just get on with it like he always does.

Course he would hes had tonnes of practice.:pac:

But if he was you'd admit it would be a lot of moving around, not only in the last 18 months, but over his career?

Yeah it would be, but let's not forget Nicolas Anelka ;)

Ya obviously, but that happens. Look at Anelka, doesn't mean he's not a good player.

Ya obviously, but that happens. Look at Anelka, doesn't mean he's not a good player.

Hes also playing his best stuff in years now that hes happy and settled at Chelsea. Wants to spend the rest if his career there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

To hell or to the SPL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Going by the thread title, i thought he was signing for Shamrock Rovers!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I'd take him at VP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Gary Twigg would beat Robbie to the number 10 jersey at and he'd back on the move again in January 2010! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

baz2009 wrote: »
    "Up for ale" means they will sell him to another club.

I think that means they're going on the piss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I'd take him at VP.

Me too. But knowing silly Spurs and their chancer manager, they'd either ask for £25m or want a swap for Ashley Young.

God love him, he's on at least 60grand a week for warming a bench.

My heart bleeds.

He ain't on the bench for no reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Me too. But knowing silly Spurs and their chancer manager, they'd either ask for £25m or want a swap for Ashley Young.

And knowing our pathalogically tight-arsed manager, MON would offer no more than £5m or a swap deal for Salifou.

Here's an outside shout though - Arsenal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Wolves on loan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Celtic, his other boyhood club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Here's an outside shout though - Arsenal?
    mike65 wrote: »
    Wolves on loan!
    Xavi6 wrote: »

Probably all three the way Robbie goes through clubs....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

It will be interesting to see if Robbie is made of the stuff to get himself back on the high road again.

He probably can if he has the desire to. Some millionaire footballers lose the desire.

I cannot think for the life of me why this would happen. Oh it might be the millions:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

He's always strongly linked with us (Sunderland) around the time of the transfer windows opening, the move never happens though, but perhaps this time it might materialise in a cut price deal.

Bruce has been in the papers saying he can't motivate Jones and I don't think he fancies him at Sunderland to be honest, perhaps Spurs will rekindle their interest in him and make another silly offer this January, Keane and cash for Jones, although IMO if Jones does go to Spurs it will be Bentley coming our way instead.

Nonetheless, it will be very interesting to see where he ends up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

I'd take him as a benchwarmer. Selling him is kinda ridiculous. Proven EPL scorer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

He's always strongly linked with us (Sunderland) around the time of the transfer windows opening, the move never happens though, but perhaps this time it might materialise in a cut price deal.

Bruce has been in the papers saying he can't motivate Jones and I don't think he fancies him at Sunderland to be honest, perhaps Spurs will rekindle their interest in him and make another silly offer this January, Keane and cash for Jones, although IMO if Jones does go to Spurs it will be Bentley coming our way instead.

Nonetheless, it will be very interesting to see where he ends up.

Do you think he'd play well with Bent?? I can't really remember the two playing together at Spurs that much so can't make a judgement on how they did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Once he doesn't go to rot in the SPL.

Xavi6 wrote: »

I hear Crumlin United's interest might prove too much for him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Amazing that he's never settled at a club he's been at. I guess it say's a lot about his attitude problems.

• Advertisement

Bandit12 wrote: »
    Amazing that he's never settled at a club he's been at. I guess it say's a lot about his attitude problems.

His attitude to fat signing-on fees, I presume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Strange that he doesnt start, Id play him instead of Crouch every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

There is no way Celtic would be able to pay him unless Mr. Desmond personally paid a portion of the fee and wage which ain't going to happen.

He has 1 less start than Defoe this season, 6 more than Crouch and 13 more than Pavlyuchenko.

There have been rumours Pav wants to get 1st team football or move on in January, and if he does Keane won't be moving.

I don;t know where the rumours of Keane moving are coming from.

Suppose we'll have to wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Celtic I'd say.....and Samaras will get the hump and be Premiership bound once again

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Celtic would not be able to afford 1/3 of Keane's wages,and thats not taken into account the transfer fee.So he will not be going their.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Hasn't he been on the bench for 4 of his last 4 games?

Its hardly alot.

Complete overreaction here tbh - wait for something more substantial than random paper speculation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,011 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He started two of their last four games including their last game, he came on in one and was an unused sub in the other one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Think any club in the Premiership (and with the exception of only a few clubs in the world) would be lucky to have him in their squad. Whoever signs him will be much the better for it. Top quality player who has recently hit a bad patch.

DSB wrote: »
    Think any club in the Premiership (and with the exception of only a few clubs in the world) would be lucky to have him in their squad. Whoever signs him will be much the better for it. Top quality player who has recently hit a bad patch.

I think thats a slight overstatement,he is good but nothing special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Yeah but do you need to be anything special to cut it at half of the premiership teams? Ok granted you have to be a bit special to be a premiership player, and again to be a strong goal scorer, but when you look at Bent, Defoe, Bellemy, Johnson, Jo, Doyle, Heskey, Kevin Davies, Jason Roberts etc. He would hold his own against any of those guys any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Robbie Keane must be on about £80k a week at Spurs. The highest earner at Celtic is probably on about half that. There's no way Celtic can afford Keane.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Back to Leeds United with him, Viduka, Alan Smith and Harry Kewell :P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,011 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Dub13 wrote: »
    I think thats a slight overstatement,he is good but nothing special.
    Well you would say that obviously.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well you would say that obviously.

He is a good player but do you believe the following is justified...?
    DSB wrote:
    and with the exception of only a few clubs in the world

• Advertisement
Advertisement