Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PIN has been changed (and i didn't do it)

Options
  • 13-12-2009 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Ok i need some help. I was trying to take out money today but there was a message saying incorrect pin entered. I am 110% sure i did not mix up any digits or anything and i never forget my pin number.

I rang the 24 hour banking and got through and they said that the only message that was coming up for them that i entered the wrong pin number 5 times which i did at 2 different pass machines. I went to a second pass machine when there first one didn't work.

Help! What happened here? I am with AIB and went to a bank of ireland and ulster bank machine to take out money. Is there a new thing that i can't take out money from other bank's machines or what?

Has my card been copied? I still have money in the account. Nothing has been taken out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Have you been issued with a new card? Sometimes your PIN will be reset when when you get a new card.

Did you ask the bank has any request been made to issue you with a new PIN.
    It may have been done by mistake.

I dont think someone copied yous card. If someone did they are more likely to take all the money out. Not change the PIN.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Jet Black wrote: »
    Did you ask the bank has any request been made to issue you with a new PIN.
    It may have been done by mistake.

This seems like the most likely explanation.

The only way I can think of that a fraudster could benefit from getting the pin reset is if 1) They already had a copy of your card and 2) They have access to your mailbox, for example in an apartment building. But this seems unlikely to me. When you get your PIN reset again, take note of what questions they ask to verify your identity, and this will give you a clue as to whether somebody else could have had your pin reset without your knowledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

I didn't request a new card at all. When i rang the bank, they didn't mention anything about sending me a new pin. They should have it on record. They thought i forgot my pin and said they would issue me with a pin reminder.
    That's ok.

I used the card once yesterday at a POS chip and pin machine and it was fine for me. I used the same card, same pin today and it wouldn't work. Can't think for the life of me what could happen.

I rang the bank asking them to cancel it on the safe side and they said the same thing that they wouldn't change the pin, they would take the money and they wouldn't cancel it. But those fraudsters can do anything so i am quite worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

You could ring them again and tell them you lost it.
    I still side with the bank here tbh. Your account would have been cleared out by now.

Advertisement