Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cooking up some presents...

Options
  • 13-12-2009 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

anyone cooking up some christmas presents this year?

i make bags of chocolates for friends of family, i do toffee-nut crunchie things (florentines, crushed and covered with choc) and pudding truffles every year and this year i've also made a panaforte that i'll cut into little chunks...

was thinking about making some of nigellas chilli jelly too.. just have to get some nice jars.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

You read my mind - I'm just back from the shops with a kilo of jam sugar for Nigella's chilli jam.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Minder wrote: »
    You read my mind - I'm just back from the shops with a kilo of jam sugar for Nigella's chilli jam.

Awesome, I might make some of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

what kind of jars are you going to put it into? i'm gonna have a shop around over the next few days..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I usually make truffles and fudge. I'm going to make some fudge next week and I can't find my usual recipe anywhere. :( I'm making them for the first time for my boyfriend's parents and I'm hoping I'll find a good recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I saved up some fancy jam jars. Made the recipe with all chilli and no sweet pepper. We had it with some cheesey bites this evening as a starter. Good flavour, lots of chilli with a vinegar spike - it will be interesting to see if it mellows or gets hotter. I got four jars from the batch I made.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dublingal80

janeybabe wrote: »
    I usually make truffles and fudge. I'm going to make some fudge next week and I can't find my usual recipe anywhere. :( I'm making them for the first time for my boyfriend's parents and I'm hoping I'll find a good recipe.

Janeybabe, can you pm me or post here the recipe for your truffles and fudge. Dying to find a good recipe :) THANKS

• Registered Users Posts: 19 gillylilly

I was going to try and make up a batch of chutney! What kinds of jars do you use for them? Do you recycle old ones, or buy them new? Wasn't sure what to do, keep reading about the importance of sterilising

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

I tried this fudge recipe -> http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Brown-Sugar-Fudge-108365

which worked well and was very easy. You will need a sugar thermometer.

Janeybabe, can you pm me or post here the recipe for your truffles and fudge. Dying to find a good recipe :) THANKS

I made this recipe for fudge tonight because I can't find my usual one and it is fabulous. I'm trying not to eat the whole batch. I can't gice you a truffles recipe as my one has disappeared and I haven't made them yet this year. Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

My family asked that this year no one spend a fortune on Christmas presents so I'm baking hampers for a couple of people. Planning on making

parmesan & black pepper biscotti
    Rocky Road
    Chocolate ginger bread
    and this nut/pretzel mix

I'm also seriously considering fudge after looking at that link, thanks a mill janeybabe :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Its too late for this year but I put a couple pf jars of whatever jam and chutney I came up with during the summer and a bottle of home brew wine (apple and elderflower this year)
    How about a few different types of cookies muddled up and wrapped up in nice paper and string?
    I found a lovely cookie mould in a chrity shop during the year from germany for making ginger bread cookies or christmas tree decorations, they're of two foxes a boy and a girl one wearing clothes so sweet.
    Also edible chirstmas decorations would be cool, if you made little bundles of homemade or shop bought sweets wrapped up in nice paper/plastic with curled ribons etc... that could be hung on a tree for kids

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

thats a good link Janey think I'm gonna try the coconut Burfi and blueberry mallow rocky road for my presents. Is it easy to find condensed milk in Ireland? I'm pretty much vegan so don't know much about buying dairy..

Condensed milk can be found either with the baking products or the tea and coffee in most supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

these are my little pudding bon bons (ala nigella) and my toffee/nutty chocolates...
    4193224357_382ea7a8d5.jpg

4193224307_d8ecb820c9.jpg

them little puddins are ridiculous! so cute :D

I made this recipe for fudge tonight because I can't find my usual one and it is fabulous. I'm trying not to eat the whole batch..

Just in case anyone else is thinking of it, this recipe rocks! Best fudge I've ever had. I added peanut-butter oreo crumbs to it and, boo hoo, the gift jars I bought won't fit it all in so I have a big plate of it I'll have to eat by myself. :D

Just in case anyone else is thinking of it, this recipe rocks! Best fudge I've ever had. I added peanut-butter oreo crumbs to it and, boo hoo, the gift jars I bought won't fit it all in so I have a big plate of it I'll have to eat by myself. :D

Oh that's terrible! :D

I made some for work and another batch for my boyfriend's parents and they both went down very well. It's a brilliant recipe. It's really easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Oh that's terrible! :D

I made some for work and another batch for my boyfriend's parents and they both went down very well. It's a brilliant recipe. It's really easy.

Thanks for this! I'm defo gonna make some as presents this year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

How long will the fudge last once made? What should I put as a 'use by' date when giving as gifts - I'm assuming that the sugar will keep it preserved for a good while?

Advertisement