Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sustained Response over Public Sector pay cuts: The unions are going to war

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

Sorry that was just an example of how union proposals have been twisted in the media and the information blurred or buried, as Flutt proved above.

They haven't been implemented because the unions in good faith put together a set of proposals, and the government rejected them outright because the 12 days unpaid leave plan did not add up to 1.3bn, even though this had not been a factor in previous talks. In fact the government decided they would reject whatever the unions proposed before the talks had even concluded; here.

To any reasonable person on boards the reason for union anger should begin to become clear soon. The government committed itself to deflationary plans and wage cuts to the detriment of public sector reform. I feel like shouting that right now when I see so many threads bashing the unions and calling for reform, while praising Lenihan's 'tough but fair' budget.

So if the government decided to implement those reforms suggested by the union, they'd have the public sector and unions support?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Flex wrote: »
    So if the government decided to implement those reforms suggested by the union, they'd have the public sector and unions support?

Not after the pay cuts, there would have to be another round of negotiations. You have to realise these union proposals were to be an alternative to cuts, but the government pulled the rug from under them. If these proposals were to be put through now, after cutting public sector pay there would have to be concessions to the unions/public sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Not after the pay cuts, there would have to be another round of negotiations. You have to realise these union proposals were to be an alternative to cuts, but the government pulled the rug from under them. If these proposals were to be put through now, after cutting public sector pay there would have to be concessions to the unions/public sector.
    Why Brian? Why not just do it for the betterment of the Public Service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

The government committed itself to deflationary plans and wage cuts to the detriment of public sector reform.
    What is the alternative to measures that will be deflationary?

murphaph wrote: »
    Why Brian? Why not just do it for the betterment of the Public Service?

Take pay cuts and unpaid leave? Why murph, why not just implement the proposals to begin with instead of being conniving FF'ers, for the betterment of the Public Service?
    SkepticOne wrote: »
    What is the alternative to measures that will be deflationary?

Stimulus? I'm sorry but I don't really understand your question. There are many conceivable alternatives to present government policy, but just with NAMA the government really really wants you to believe TINA.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Stimulus? I'm sorry but I don't really understand your question. There are many conceivable alternatives to present government policy, but just with NAMA the government really really wants you to believe TINA.
    I'm not making a statement here but asking a question. If there are alternatives to the problem at hand that is not deflationary I'm interested in hearing them.

If you are saying stimulus is the alternative, where would the money come from? How would the EU's rules on deficit spending be got around?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

Take pay cuts and unpaid leave? Why murph, why not just implement the proposals to begin with instead of being conniving FF'ers, for the betterment of the Public Service?

Why must there be something given in return for imrpoving the standard of work in the public sector? The company I work for is undergoing a business transformationat the moment resulting in plenty of overtime being worked, but since I dont get paid for overtime its basically my free time.

I cant think of another group of workers anywhere in the country that would refuse attempts and obstruct attempts to improve efficiency and productivity because their employer couldnt afford to pay their wages who wouldnt be sacked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭gerry28

Flex wrote: »

I think the unions and quite a few PS workers feel a little shafted by the chest beating Brian Lenihan.

Offering up all the reforms after having the rug pulled from under you doesn't sit very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Take pay cuts and unpaid leave?
    No. I said implement the reforms, not the 12 days business. The Public Sector has had it's pay cut directly and that's enough for now.

I'm just talking about implementing the reforms suggested by McLoone in that piece. Would you not agree that these reforms should be implemented?

SkepticOne wrote: »
    I'm not making a statement here but asking a question. If there are alternatives to the problem at hand that is not deflationary I'm interested in hearing them.

If you are saying stimulus is the alternative, where would the money come from? How would the EU's rules on deficit spending be got around?

You're asking for my plans to address the deficit? sorry but I haven't drawn them up yet. However I know there was a thread here about SF's budgetary proposals, and I'm sure FG and Labour had their own suggestions too before the budget came out, as did the Unions (see; here )
    murphaph wrote: »
    No. I said implement the reforms, not the 12 days business. The Public Sector has had it's pay cut directly and that's enough for now.

I'm just talking about implementing the reforms suggested by McLoone in that piece. Would you not agree that these reforms should be implemented?

Should have been implemented. You don't seem to understand that the Government created a serious breach of trust by preparing pay cut plans behind the unions back and then asking for their initiatives, just so they could shoot them down in the media. That's not the way to reach a solution, and I have no idea why you would expect the public sector or the unions to willingly implement these plans now after they were previously ignored and ridiculed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭PLIIM

mikemac wrote: »
    Like nobody else wasn't hit in the last budget in 2008...... That levy on my private sector payslip must be imagined so. But I'll pay it and so be it. Just don't claim the public service are on their own.

Are you saying the Public service should stage such incredible demonstrations that the government will be afraid to impose cuts on them again? A bit like the pensioners did already?

You think we got hit with that tiny levy? That was like a mild itch.
    Wait for next year :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭PLIIM

You obviously don't understand what a "work to rule" is. It means carrying out your job to the letter and nothing extra.

There's nowhere near the appetite for industrial action that the union leaders would have people believe. A lot of public servants (including me) are pissed off at being hit in the pocket again. But a lot of us can see that the country is deep in ****e so we'll take the pain this time.

There will also be considerable unrest with the leadership within the unions when they go back to the members. They sought a mandate for strike action and then chickened out. Not only that but they went into negotiations on a pay cut (called it unpaid leave) and changes to conditions of service without any mandate from the rank and file. When people calm down in the next couple of weeks they'll realise that they're being very poorly represented.

And that is why you'll take the pain again, and again. Because its not really pain if you arent up in arms over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

so if the PS/CS got a 2% increase last May and stand to get another next year, am i missing something or are the cuts starting at 1% for the lower paid and not the 5% cut we're all hearing, so the point of striking is over completely neglible and temporary cuts is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭funnyname

The unions can't be trusted!

Did they deliver this as part of the benchmarking exercise, did they *@#$!

6.4 Modernisation and Change
    The challenges facing the social and economic development of Ireland in the medium to longterm
    underpin the need for continually progressing the modernisation of the public service. The
    Body notes the reference in the PPF to the link between public service pay awards and the
    delivery of the modernisation programme in the public service. The Body strongly recommends
    that implementation of the pay awards should be made conditional (apart from the one-quarter
    of any award to be implemented with effect from 1 December of 2001 as agreed between the
    parties) upon agreement on relevant modernisation and change issues at the appropriate local
    bargaining levels. It will be a matter, in each case, for managements and unions/associations to
    determine the agenda for this local bargaining, but it is the firm expectation of the Body that real
    outputs will be delivered. The establishment of an appropriate validation process is recommended
    to ensure that agreements on issues such as adaptability, change, flexibility and modernisation are
    implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

We're just under a year away from the next budget, the unions are going to have to reform now to show that the €4/3bn in savings next year can be done without cuts to their pay.

They could have been pushing these reforms through for the last 18 months, and shown the government that the required money could be saved, instead they sat on their hands, and went shopping in Newry.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

lmimmfn wrote: »
    so if the PS/CS got a 2% increase last May and stand to get another next year, am i missing something or are the cuts starting at 1% for the lower paid and not the 5% cut we're all hearing, so the point of striking is over completely neglible and temporary cuts is?

yeah..:rolleyes:

sure if you take what their pay was 10 years ago, the 5% cut is actually a raise!! yayyyy!!:rolleyes:
    The unions can't be trusted!

Did they deliver this as part of the benchmarking exercise, did they *@#$!

Actually you'll find they did in a lot of cases, its not just their fault that the management side could not come up with any real reform ideas.

yes they should, and others (note the move on pensions for new entrants) but the reality is that any goodwill between the parties to having an agreed approach has been lost.

In the long run this may be regretted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Have not heard any PS workers mention this, but this 5% pay cut does not mean a 5% cut in take home pay. Less pay means less tax and levies, and it brings the real cut in take home pay down to a little under 4%, marginally less than the 4.1% cut in SW.

They were very quick to call the levy payments a "pay cut", so let them be honest here and call this 5% reduction exactly what it is... a 3.9% cut in take home pay.

Duiske wrote: »
    Have not heard any PS workers mention this, but this 5% pay cut does not mean a 5% cut in take home pay.

and when they talk about "take-home pay" they get jumped on by others here saying we should only talk about Gross

Riskymove wrote: »

Actually you'll find they did in a lot of cases, its not just their fault that the management side could not come up with any real reform ideas.

Management are also in the union, so that's just a silly counter point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭pah

Have not heard any PS workers mention this, but this 5% pay cut does not mean a 5% cut in take home pay. Less pay means less tax and levies, and it brings the real cut in take home pay down to a little under 4%, marginally less than the 4.1% cut in SW.

They were very quick to call the levy payments a "pay cut", so let them be honest here and call this 5% reduction exactly what it is... a 3.9% cut in take home pay.

Thats 5% on the first 30k. Everything should be dicussed as Gross. When people talk about take home pay it's because what they see right in front of them is NET out of the pocket. Most people talk about take home pay being reduced by €xxxx but overall talk about pay being reduced by a %.

http://www.taxcalculator.ie/

Will show the GROSS reduction on any salary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Sauce for the goose. I have not heard any private sector worker describe his or her pay cut in terms of net pay, either. And I have seen posts here objecting (in my opinion, fairly) to some public sector workers writing about their net pay rather than the gross.

funnyname wrote: »
    Management are also in the union, so that's just a silly counter point.

some are, some are not depending on the organisation

I include politicians as being on the management side

some are, some are not depending on the organisation

I include politicians as being on the management side

Yeah keep blaming the government, good argument!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Lets face facts:

Any meaningful reform of the public sector will result in redundancies.

The union can't give into redundancies without a fight as that's what they're seen to be there for.

Now, to my mind, this is where the union fail the majority of their members. Any hard-working member of the public service shouldn't fall foul of the redundancies unless their job or department is duplicating work being carried out by another, better functioning department in which case the best workers from both departments should be merged into the new function and since our hard-working member is just that, his or her job should be safe.

Done to the proper extent, reform could actually provide more frontline staff and, shock horror, even allow for raises where staff are identified as being worth more than their current remuneration package!

I honestly believe that if given an organisational map of each department, quango and public sector body I'd find most of the means to make the necessary savings to achieve this in about a week.

funnyname wrote: »
    Yeah keep blaming the government, good argument!

do you not think the people that run the public sector should have some responsibility for how it operates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭seangal

Sleepy wrote: »
    Lets face facts:

Any meaningful reform of the public sector will result in redundancies.

The union can't give into redundancies without a fight as that's what they're seen to be there for.

Now, to my mind, this is where the union fail the majority of their members. Any hard-working member of the public service shouldn't fall foul of the redundancies unless their job or department is duplicating work being carried out by another, better functioning department in which case the best workers from both departments should be merged into the new function and since our hard-working member is just that, his or her job should be safe.

Done to the proper extent, reform could actually provide more frontline staff and, shock horror, even allow for raises where staff are identified as being worth more than their current remuneration package!

I honestly believe that if given an organisational map of each department, quango and public sector body I'd find most of the means to make the necessary savings to achieve this in about a week.
    I think this will be done overtime
    There will be no redundancies bar the IMF come in.
    The reform will be that there will be no new staff in the public sector and the existing staff will have to take over the work that is done by staff that is retiring. About 4000 staff retired in 2009 and that will increase in 2010. In the budget they did not pass on the cut to the pensions of people that retire in 2010 and he has left it open that he can extend this to 2011 if need be.
    There is nothing to be gained by making younger staff redundant as it will lead to an older PS workforce and I can tell you what every about getting the younger PS to reform they have no chance in getting an older PS workforce to reform

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The thing is, we don't really have the time to wait and furthermore, natural attrition is a very poor tool for targeting waste - it just leads to some areas running desperately short of staff and others still being over-staffed.

Our public sector is akin to a cancer patient. We need very liberal use of a scalpel to cut the malignant cells. Amputating a limb with some malignant cells will not cure the patient if there are cancerous cells present elsewhere too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭seangal

Sleepy wrote: »
    The thing is, we don't really have the time to wait and furthermore, natural attrition is a very poor tool for targeting waste - it just leads to some areas running desperately short of staff and others still being over-staffed.

Our public sector is akin to a cancer patient. We need very liberal use of a scalpel to cut the malignant cells. Amputating a limb with some malignant cells will not cure the patient if there are cancerous cells present elsewhere too.
    well by not replaing staff in 2009 we saved 500 million so
    if same amount leave in 2010 that will be aother 500 million or i billion in total and a pay cut of 1.3 billion so if that dose not start to work we can give up.
    The reform will be redployment which will ensure there will be no staff shortages

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

yeah..:rolleyes:

sure if you take what their pay was 10 years ago, the 5% cut is actually a raise!! yayyyy!!:rolleyes:
    :rolleyes: so the country is ****ed and we're paying per yearly increases in the PS/CS and will do so throughout this recession and thats completely grand and fine? and its also grand to go out on strike based on the budget cuts even though it completely nullifies the cuts over the next few years?, yayyyy, glad we have a solution :rolleyes:

be nice if we all got this 2% per year guaranteed increase, couldnt give a toss about the cuts ive had this year if that was the case.

• Advertisement
Advertisement